How safe is PayPal G&S

With so many new people entering the hobby I see a lot of 0-10 feedback buyers interested in my item. While I reject their offers with a polite message, a lot of them seem intent to prove they are genuine and I’m sure a lot of them are. Since I’m skeptical of how eBay usually takes the buyers side in 99% of the cases, a lot of folks are willing to go the PayPal G&S route.
I know it’s against the terms and conditions of eBay, if I decide to go for it, how safe is it against the usual scams of “I didn’t receive the item” , “I received the wrong item” “item not as described and return an empty box to me” etc. Is PayPal also similar to eBay where they take the buyers side in most instances?
This can be similarly applied to selling on social media like Facebook, reddit or Instagram.
Also what are some of the main things I should keep in mind while selling on PayPal?
Any info would be great or if you can share your experiences with PayPal that’ll be great too. Thanks!! :blush:

Goods and services offers essentially the same protections to the buyer as Ebay does

3 Likes

@fizzyadrenaline, same amount of seller protection as eBay

1 Like

So none. :slightly_frowning_face: How safe is f&f?

1 Like

:slightly_frowning_face: Any ideas how safe is f&f?

Depends who you’re dealing with.

1 Like

I guess random people on social media. I’m usually a collector and only recently started to post things to sell. And I get a quite a few requests on Facebook groups or new buyers from eBay. Some are ready to do f&f. Just not sure how safe or how protected I am

Literally ZERO - in fact if you pay with f/f and try to argue or dispute it in anyway insinuating you were paying for something enjoy a life time PayPal ban.

5 Likes

Use a mutually trusted middleman to broker the transaction if needed. This is my method of choice.

1 Like

Ohh wow. That sucks. I guess the only option is to sell to people with good feedback or take a punt with the new ones

Not a bad idea but for some reason I’m always opposed to middlemen. One more hand to the exchange, one more post. A lot can go wrong. I think it’s wise to just sell to
The users with say over 25 feedback

What exactly are you selling?

There are a lot of horror stories out there but for me personally I’ve made over 500 sales on eBay and about 50 sales outside of eBay and the only person who tried to claim that I’d not sent them the item had already left me positive feedback commenting on how well the item had been packaged. Naturally they didn’t win that one.

The majority of the items I sell are between $50 and $200, so perhaps people are just less likely to pull a fast one with those amounts, however I imagine things would be different if you’re typically selling items for over $1,000.

I have about 10 items worth $1k-$3 and one item worth $6k. Hence I wanted to know how secure PayPal is compared to eBay.

As a buyer GS is pretty safe and FF isn’t safe at all. As a seller GS isn’t very safe and FF is very safe.

GS and Ebay are approximately the same, with ebay maybe being a tiny bit more lenient towards the buyer. The whole point of FF is that it’s supposed to be a gift, hence you avoid the GS fees but also don’t have the safety net that those fees are supposed to cover. If they send you money through FF there isn’t realistically any way to recover it unless if they maybe file a police report and claim it was stolen. With the hobby booming there are plenty of trustworthy new people joining though, so I wouldn’t instantly dismiss someone just because they have low feedback, but that’s up to you to decide.

3 Likes

Didn’t they update the paypal policy around july and there was a part that affected pokemon cards (not specifically pokemon cards, but that category)?

I don’t necessarily dismiss them. I’m ok upto $100 or maybe even $200. But right the items that I have listed are all over $1k. I’m not usually a seller or a flipper who’s making money each week/month. I can’t afford to lose $1k so just trying to be careful

1 Like

No ideas :slightly_frowning_face:

Why not just wire transfer? Deals in pokemon have become so large pretty much all my recent deals were wires

Rather than an email I get the bank account of the person. I feel safer about that as a buyer actually, rather than paying f&f to some random email

And banks are generally more thoughtful than paypal customer service, which is truly atrocious and designed to make people give up in the process

Paypal is great

if you’re a buyer sending a bank transfer there’s no way to charge back. The seller could you send you soap and you wouldn’t be able to do anything. As a buyer you always use PayPal lol. Unless you still prefer e-transfer then may I direct you to my store and I pray I get more buyers such as you. Not that I’m scamming anyone but as a seller it’s extremely secure if I get a wire transfer as I know I won’t get chargebacked :sweat_smile: