How did you start collecting or get back into collecting?

Hey guys! (Discord name is KY KO)

I was a classic collector/player back in the 90’s like a good majority of us here. As I got older I played Yugi pretty hardcore before life interfered etc. it wasn’t until Thanksgiving 18’ that my interest and fascination with Pokémon resurfaced. I was at my childhood home with my family when I decided to ransack my old closet. There I found all my yugioh and Pokémon cards, unsleeved, unreserved, and thrown into a horribly tacky, rusty tin. As I rummaged through these cards, I stumbled upon a charizard base 2 in horrible condition, but for some reason this sparked the desire to begin collecting the most core and nostalgic cards to me - base, jungle, and fossil. As I began my research, I quickly realized the value, from an investment standpoint, of owning 1st editions as opposed to unlimited. And so my goal of obtaining 1st edition base, jungle, and fossil began.

Flash forward to present day, my fiancé probably thinks I’m a nut job for collecting and spending money on cards while finishing up my last year of law school, but I have no regrets as I close in on my 1st edition goals. The Pokémon community is an amazing place and I can’t wait to see what I collect next!

4 Likes

In my case, after finishing my degree and wasnt able to find a job I went back to my mothers home. Having a lot of free time, I found the pogs from my childhood, which I tried to complete. Then the staks followed, and then the cards.

After 3 years Im still working on my card collection, which is growing day by day. Its nice to have something to rely on for that long time.

Started collecting when my kids were young and kept on begging for those cards (Base/Jungle) stopped collecting at the moment Roaring skies was announced to become reprinted. Still playing the game as one of the few with a 3 digit playerid.

1 Like

Used to buy many booster packs when I was very young which was around the EX era but didnt know anything about the rarity and value of cards like gold star that I had hence eventually didnt take care of them and my mom threw them all away. Fastforward to 2016 when evolutions came out and I saw that it was cool that they reprinted the old school cards. Somehow this led me to reading up and watching alot of youtube videos on pokemon cards and I stumbled onto WOTC which was even before my time but I started to get interested in vintage products and was intrigued that pokemon cards were becoming more and more expensive. Now I collect gold stars because it was the most valuable card in my era but I didnt have the chance to collect cuz I was so young and ignorant back then haha.