History of 1999 Pokémon Base Set?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Is there a thread here or an article with the history of the release of base set?

Print runs of the four variations. Dates, original prices and trends through out the years? Wotc’s release etc?

I know it’s obscure but just wanted to do some reading and learning.

Again sorry if this has already been asked or isn’t allowed.

Any and all responses are appreciated.

Here’s one for base 2000

2 Likes

Thank you!

In addition to what was posted above, there’s a lot of good info when you go digging around. Unfortunately we don’t have a definite number of the print size of each print run if you were trying to figure that out. 1st Ed Base appears to be the more scarce overall, both in terms of opened and unopened product. I’ve read a rumor once that there could be as few as 10,000 of each 1st Ed Base holo card. I feel it could be higher than this, but we can only speculate for now.

There’s a lot of good info in these threads that touches on many parts of your questions:

1 Like

Thank you for the info! Yeah I wonder if we will ever get print run numbers?

No.

With each passing year, fewer people who worked at WoTC in the 1990s will be alive, and even fewer with this specific knowledge/information.

2 Likes

That’s a bummer lol

Very interesting info I found in the other thread

3 Likes

Also from the thread. Very interesting

2 Likes

Yes… those were 2 of the best threads I was in for 1999 Base Set info. Lots of good posts in there.

1 Like

It really was an awesome read. So much info

1 Like

Some more info from another thread about print runs directly from a wotc employee

1 Like