Grail dream achieved

Hey all, been waiting to make this post a long time and very happy to finally do so. I finally got to complete one of my grail dreams, the Hoenn starters “rookie” cards from Ruby & Sapphire in PSA 10. Although I started collecting as a kid in 1999 like everyone else, I came back to Pokemon (the gameboy games but sadly not the cards) in 2005/2006 and so I have as big of nostalgia for the hoenn era as I do for the kanto starters. In fact, I completely missed johto, which is sad but hey what can you do.

For ex collectors who have looked, all of these cards are really, really hard to grade and the Sceptile is impossible. I started looking for this trio in January 2020 and was lucky enough to pick up the Swampert early and then the Blaziken later in the year after first getting a mislabeled Ex Battle one. I graded at least 15 Sceptiles over time, never getting better than a 9. Really tough card. The Sceptile never comes up for sale or auction, ever, so I jumped when this one did a few weeks ago.

Sceptile is pop 6, Swampert is pop 14 and the Blaziken is a fake pop 23 which should really be 10-15 since a large number are mislabeled. After two years, it’s time to move on to the next collection goal, and that’s the fun of it.

86 Likes

Congrats @pokecollectoramy! Those holos are so cool! Best Sceptile and Swampert cards imo

2 Likes

Love seeing stuff like this! Congratulations! :blush:

1 Like

Really great looking cards too, this is amazing! Seeing that Sceptile must have been such a rush lmao

1 Like

I clicked like as soon as I saw the title, was not disappointed when I scrolled down, you know how I feel about this stuff.:heart_eyes:

Congratulations on this milestone!

2 Likes

Congrats dude, always nice to see someone hit a longstanding goal!

1 Like

Fantastic achievement!! Congratulations!

1 Like

A monumental achievement. I’m super happy for you! And sad at the same time that I passed on that Blaziken hahahaha. But I’m happy it went toward such a noble collection goal :blush:

1 Like

Wow, incredible set

1 Like

Big congrats! It’s always an amazing feeling to finish multi-year goals. And all three look great together, from three amazing illustrators. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Congratulations. :blush:

1 Like

@howleatthemoon, One hundred percent agreed. Wish we had gotten the ex emerald blaziken art in here and it would be perfect :blush:

@smpratte, Thank you Scott!

@dev, You have no idea hahaa

@c0ll3ct0r, Thank you!!

@lamplamp, Much appreciated!

@fourthstartcg, Thank you, I couldn’t actually believe it until I had physical possession of the card haha

@zorloth, Definitely owe you on that one buddy and for the knowledge over the years

@casual, Thank you, as you know…I agree :grin:

@quuador, Thank you! And agreed. One of my favorite Arita arts ever on the swampert

@cbhpokemon, Thank you!

5 Likes

Congrats! Those three cards pictured together really exemplify that era well.

1 Like

Mad PROPS! I also liked these starters the most, and with hundreds of hours playing this game on the bus to high school. Great to see their rookie cards all together like this.

1 Like

team swampert

3 Likes

Congrats! R&S was one of the first binder sets I put together when I started collecting again, love this trio.

1 Like

Gen 3 getting some love! Awesome cards :blush:

1 Like

Well done :wink:

1 Like