Future of Japanese Base Set

What do you all think about the potential for the Japanese release of Base Set?

Do you see booster packs going up in price? They seem to be around $25-30 right now on eBay. I’ve got a good amount of booster packs that I’m unsure if I should hold and sit on or if I should unload them and sell per pack… or if I should open some and go for a PSA 10 Charizard? I am leaning more toward sitting on the packs and letting them age, but I also wouldn’t mind selling sometime this year if the need for money should arise.

I am interested in thoughts on the Japanese side of things because I see less discussion for it. I am aware that the Japanese set cards tend to go for less than their English counterparts.

First of all the set translated to English is called the “Expansion Pack” not “Base Set”. I predict that Expansion Pack cards will potentially never gain much value compared to the 1st Edition/Unlimited English Base Set. Purely because of nostalgic reasons. If I’m not mistaken nostalgia is the only reason the Base Set gained so much value. It’s a must have, if you didn’t have it back then.

(Simple example)

A good comparison of questions to ask just for theoretical purposes is:

Who remembers opening Expansion Pack booster packs when they were kids? They cost $100 now, who wants one?

Who remembers opening Base Set packs almost 20 years ago? They’re $100 now, who wants one?

Highest chance is the Base Set Pack will be purchased and the Expansion Pack Booster will remain neglected.

1 Like

Sell them and buy English WotC.

Japanese holos are too easy to get and the core collector base is the English-speaking fandom in all it’s forms.

1 Like