Future 1st Edition Print Runs

2¢:

It would be cool if future sets had a 1st edition run for just one day, then made the rest unlimited. Instead of a black stamp maybe a gold foil one. That would be awesome. Chasing that first print run would be fun. Watcha’ll think? Should TPCi bring back the 1st edition print run? Worthy or unworthy idea?

Hmmm… :thinking:

4 Likes

The reason it’s fun to chase the 1st Edition Base cards is because their existence, distribution, and growth was organic. Nobody knew these cards would be worth any serious money so they were treated like cheap toys for nearly 2 decades and distributed to all 4 corners of the globe and bought/sold at retail price. Now, they can be anywhere from California to Japan to Australia. It’s like a giant easter egg hunt for childish adults. There’s an actual possibility, however small, that you an walk into a card shop or garage sale and find 1st edition cards. That’s fun. It’s exciting to think that something you bought for $2.99 in 1999 is now worth several thousand dollars.

Lets be honest, if there were to be a new 1st Edition print run, maybe a few dozen people would buy, hoard, and price-jack everything and everybody else would spend their time just looking at the cards on eBay.

The cat is out of the bag about Pokemon cards as collectibles. While this has its positives, it does kill the natural enjoyable chase that these cards had when they were just toys.

14 Likes

Great for collectors but not that special for investors.

If the 1st ed. print runs are insanely large you’re still holding something for 3-5 years.

Lmao I was gonna be all like “of course they should it would be so cool!” but that’s such a good point! I think in one post you have just instantly converted me to no longer wanting them to bring back 1st edition print runs :rofl:

1 Like