From jonandek’s MtG Vault

ah i understand that bgs was much bigger in mtg, but never knew that psa 10s are viewed below them - makes sense now given the psa 10 signed lotus that sold for 250k which i always thought was weird.

very interesting and thank you for the color!

1 Like

For those interested, some more MtG p@rn. LMK if any requests otherwise I’ll just keep posting some random alpha cards and factoids here. This card is one of my favorite arts. It’s only pop 10 in this grade. This and the black lotus are both rares from the Alpha set. There were only 1100 of each alpha rare printed. They were the first TCG cards so I always imagine scenarios like packs being handed out as free promos at conventions or game stores. So many cards were probably thrown away or stuffed in a drawer after being opened. And those that weren’t were probably played with. No one could have imagined how valuable these would come to be. Cards in this condition were almost certainly kept sealed and opened long after the game became popular.

10 Likes

Did it take much convincing to get the same alpha lotus back?

Seller reluctant?

Yeah it was pretty painful honestly. He had no interest in cash. The last thing I wanted to give up was my no rarity set, particularly the zard. Really tough decision but no regrets. I was also able to pick up some other amazing cards, a few of which were from my old set, including a few that I had opened from an alpha starter and graded myself.

One small silver lining is that I get to have all of the no rarities for another month since covid logistics make such exchanges tricky. I’m planning to post a video in my collection thread before I trade them off. I think smpratte said it best in one of his youtube videos or posts… no way to collect it all. I’ve been fortunate to have had some amazing collectibles pass through my hands over the years that’s for sure.

4 Likes

omg the feels! awesome stuff

My favorite card as a kid, felt soooo awesome. I remember sitting on the floor of the school bus (1 hour ride each way) playing MTG in the seats and loving this card so much

1 Like

@jonandek, we look very forward to a beautiful photo/video of that precious no rarity collection. Please do give that to us when you can.

4 Likes

Yeah I wanted to be the first in the hobby to do it. I hope the new owner doesn’t break it up.

3 Likes

T’would be blasphemous.

2 Likes

Came here to say the same thing

3 Likes

Did you complete it?

I completed the set (counting the three cards at PSA). But not in 10. Still had a LONG way to go. Need 10 no rarity holos. Some of those are pop 1 and 2. The good news is that the guy I traded to has no intention of breaking it up

1 Like

Couple more from the vault today. I’ll keep posting the rest of P9 I have picked up towards my rebooted alpha set. The ancestral is a quad 9.5 that is currently being reviewed at beckett for sub-grade “bumps”. It will be shipped to me from the current owner when it’s done. As a reminder MtG is predominantly a Beckett hobby at the higher end, unlike Pokemon which is dominated by PSA as we all know. These are from a (mainly) original owner collection that I purchased almost in its entirety from a major MtG collector who liquidated almost all of his cards during the pandemic. Odds are the time walk can get a “bump” in sub-grades if I choose to review it as the original owner did not. I’ll probably have it reviewed once the backlog clears at Beckett.

14 Likes

Beautiful cards Jon! I´m also working on a (sub) set of alpha but finding specific quads is like finding a needle in a haystack at this point. Looking forward to more pics! :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah people really seem to value quads these days. for good reason IMO. Alpha quads are a scarce sub-group within an already scarce set. And the balanced cards look SO nice. Good luck with your goal - FWIW I think it’s a smart one.

1 Like

Couple more here. These are the rest of the cards that complete the Power Nine cards in magic. Back in 2016 when I sold my first Alpha set there were no Gem Mint copies of the Mox Sapphire or Mox Jet.

The Sapphire has a print spot on the right side of the front of the card that appears to some degree on nearly every copy. There are now three gem mint copies in the pop report but collectors would say there is really only one as two of them are misgrades that still have the print spot. So the 9 below is going to most likely be the pinnacle of that card for me.

Mox Jets are almost all horribly off-centered but 5 gem mint copies exist. I was offered one of them for $250k but passed it up in lieu of the very nice copy below.

(white mark is on the case notbthe card)

13 Likes

this is seriously crazy. thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

time walk & moxes!!! awesome

2 Likes

going by the price of the psa 10 lotus it seems like jonandek once again timed entry perfectly too

4 Likes

Haha we’ll see. I think there’s some shilling happening on that lotus. Last 24-hours will be interesting to watch

1 Like