first time at a card show

So I’m not even going to be there myself but a friend is attending a major card show and will be on the hunt for me. I’ve only really dealt online so far, anything I should know ahead of time? Also typically how close should I expect pricing there to follow say, recent ebay pricing?

1 Like

Where are they hosting card shows right now?

3 Likes

Much higher than fmv/ebay prices

1 Like

fmv = full market value?

is there a reason the cards are higher priced at events? to help pay for cost of having a table or because people are there physically and might be more likely to buy impulsively.

1 Like

You hit the main points, it costs more to have table at an event than to sell o nebay and there is the convenience of getting the card that day.

3 Likes

@swarm,Thanks for helping me out. I’d love to go to a TCG event like this once the pandemic ends.
Imagine an Efour event.

Get some of the larger youtubers to join as well and then bam.

@smpratte get on this shit.

4 Likes

I recently moved to the Northeast and was really hoping for another collectors event like the one last year in hartford that I missed last time

3 Likes

Yep!

As an example I was at a card show at the beginning of the year and the dealers had Luka cards, raw, for $500. PSA 10s were selling on ebay for $350 at the time

1 Like

Insane, sounds like another way for people to take advantage of casuals/suckers who feel committed for having gone or haven’t done enough diligence. Similar to the people putting their eBay pricing egregiously high for uncommonly sold cards — basically hope someone is foolish enough to pay buy it

2 Likes

Regardless though that’s unfortunate doesn’t sound like I’ll be getting anything interesting sent to me while he’s there :sob:

Yep. A mix of LGS’s strategy with sunk cost fallacy. Your best bang for your buck will almost always be ebay or local listings. The price you pay is sifting through all the crap

I was going to go to the big sports card convention in Atlantic City this summer. Unfortunately cancelled as necessary.