Ethics of pack weighing when selling an open box

Hey everyone!

I’d love to get your opinion on the following pack weighing scenario and the ethics behind it! Obviously no right or wrong answers.

If you’re going to sell a booster box with a broken seal, should you individually weigh all the packs and include those weights in your sales listing so people know they haven’t been tampered with?
Would love to hear your input!

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry everyone, I wasn’t very clear! I’m talking about selling all 36/36 packs of the opened booster box in the same listing, and sharing the weights as a way of letting buyers know none of the packs have been swapped out. I don’t know if ‘ethics’ is the right word! More like ‘am I doing the right thing here?’

1 Like

I dont know how ethics play a role in this… assuming you’re selling the 36 packs from the opened box.

For me it simply comes down to its easier to sell 36 ‘unweighted’ packs but what is required is trust –

You dont need to be trusted to sell weighted packs, as long as you’re transparent as most sellers don’t guarantee a holo in the ‘heavy’ pack –

Personally depending on the set id see if it’s more profitable to sell 12 heavies and 24 lights (graded packs etc) vs 36 unweighted packs.

Edit: if the box was opened prior and isn’t 36/36 as long as that information is available X/36 I think weights is the only viable method as say it may have been picked for all the heaviest packs

1 Like

Yeah I’m with odds here, I don’t know what ethics has to do with it. You’re either selling weighted so that people know what they’re buying (and that’s fine), or you’re selling true unweighed packs for a more organic random opening (and that’s also fine), or you’re selling weighed packs as unweighed which is literally just false advertising and a scam.

1 Like

Selling them weighed is easier since you do not have to be that trusted in the community and you will also have less problems with buyers, because you will not have people accusing you of selling weighed packs as unweighed if they are not content with their pulls. If I were in your shoes I would just be as open as possible about it.

Selling them unweighed is of course ethically fine if you decide to do so.

1 Like

There was a day when pack weighing was seen as objectively unethical and for good reasons. It took out the original intention of card’s anonymity, it increased the likelihood that people would weigh packs in stores (which happened), leaving light packs for the average collector or intro collector (this was back before people literally just hoarded crap upon release), etc.

Now, it unfortunately seems a necessary evil as people often don’t have the trust in many sellers to sell “unweighed” packs because the practice has become commonplace. As you see with the comments above, choosing NOT to sell them weighed means an increase in potential headaches (people start accusing you of lying if you sell “unweighed” just because they got bad pulls) as a seller.

I personally still find it distasteful but I can’t be bothered to debate about the ethics behind it. There are more important battles going on right now.

2 Likes

That’s a good way of looking at it! I’m going to sell this booster box in one go, so I think I’m just going to list the full weight of all the packs in an effort to be as transparent as possible about it!

1 Like

Yeah, this sums it up! The box itself was sold to me opened, so when I resell it I think I’m just going to list the individual weights of all the packs so potential buyers can judge for themselves what they think is heavy vs light. The set in question is a foreign-language set and quite niche so there’s not much info out there on weights in any case. But hey, transparency for the win!

Yeah, this is the best approach. I’m going to be as transparent as I can! I totally get what you mean about people accusing sellers of selling a light pack as ‘unweighed’ when it’s just bad luck and they get an unfavourable pull.

Thanks, Nish! Sorry, I wasn’t really clear in my original post and I’ve updated that! I totally agree with you - I’m going to be as transparent as possible and add all the weights of the packs to the listing. Thanks for your input!