Does anyone else hate the increase in chase cards?

I personally find the ratios as they are now fantastic from a player’s perspective. I know that in buying a single box I am going to end up having ~3 of each trainer, a playset of any playable commons/uncommons, 2 or so of each playable rare, and 3-4 Ultra Rares. What that means is that I have everything in hand to build whatever deck I want to build. With all of the leftovers, I’m able to trade for any missing rares I need for a playset and certainly any trainers or uncommons/commons I feel I need. Additionally, the Ultra Rares are usually good enough to get me at least two of the Ultra Rares I need for the deck. And this is all assuming I’m building the deck from borderline scratch. I’ve yet to be significantly disappointed with my single box purchase.

That all being said, I completely understand from a collecting perspective why it might be a tad frustrating. You are left almost entirely in the pool of a secondary market trying to complete sets. The best bet there is is to lag a set. By that I mean, the easiest time I have found to get anything I need after my box to complete my set is when the next one comes out. Players want to move their extras fast. So I can pick up any missing RHs, rares or even ultra rares pretty easily. The hype behind the best EX from each newly released set, for example, is usually enough to fuel the purchase of as many as half of the missing EX’s from the last set. When I pulled a darkrai at a prerelease, it was pretty easy getting my missing FA Kyurem EX, Shaymin EX, FA Zekrom EX, Shiny Emboar, and Shiny Chandelure in exchange for that one card.

@dj~ Of course, I agree. That’s why they need to find the perfect balance between making it an accomplishment to complete a set but not a major feat.

@funmonkey~ From what you said, it does seem like the current ratio works out for players. I do agree with how waiting for the next set to come out makes the previous set cheaper. But I also find that it would be better to wait a few sets, possibly even wait till the cards are rotated out of the current format. In previous years (pre D&P), this would only screw you over (and continues to screw me over now) as the cards were not as highly produced. However, nowadays Pokemon is a lot more popular and way more cards are produced, so there isn’t really ever gonna be that whole “there are so few of these cards out there” sort of thing with the new Ultra Rares. You can justify this with Lv. X cards. There are about 5 Lv. X cards that break $10, and that’s primarily because they are popular Pokemon - i.e. Glaceon, Leafeon, Charizard

@daelum: I would certainly agree with that numbers deal. I think that in the future, you will see very little scramble for these Ultra Rares. If anything will hold some value, it will probably be popular cards like Mewtwo EX. I wouldn’t be surprised to see FA N hold decent value post rotation. Especially if N rotates out then is reprinted. Also, being the first English FA Trainer might do a little for it.

Personally, for me as both a serious collector and avid player, the amount of chase cards they’re printing, along with how playable most of them are, forces players to buy so much more than usual. Two of the Ace Specs are playable, the computer one which will be played most, is going to be pretty expensive, the EX’s are basically all playable, and the Full arts are reprints of the most played cards in the game. Shiny terrakion is going to be worth a ton, as regular non full arts already fetch 15$. I just feel like it is going to be too overwhelming for new players and collectors alike to take on this hobby soon.

Well there is still Durant isn’t there?
I agree… but no one says that the new players have to have good decks?
I’m sure they can manage…

If you picked up a new PCG and then lost continuously, would you want to keep playing?

Completely agree with this. I thought buying boxes would be the way to go but it’s just ridiculous these days. I’ve had boxes which don’t even have a complete set of uncommons. The amount FA’s are going are more than some sets. You can buy the entirety of Jungle for some of the chase cards these days.

I’ve stopped buying boxes as BW4 and am now looking to complete BW2-4 first before I go ahead with buying more BW sets.

Absolute joke. On the plus side, the art in the BW series is just beautiful, and continues the Legend era in great compositions and interesting poses for the Pokémon. Still is a very expensive era!

(if anyone wants to help me complete sets, check my buy thread :stuck_out_tongue:)