Dealing with Addiction

Good on you for acknowledging your addiction. It’s going to be a long process, and progress may not be linear (filled with ups and downs, relapses). The important thing is that you have insight (i.e., recognizing that there is a problem) and a willingness to address the problem.

One potential roadblock to keep in mind is the concept of cross-addiction or addiction transfer. Essentially, replacing one addiction with another. As you begin to target compulsive behaviors, you may need to rely on your fiancé and others in your social network to keep you accountable and to reduce the risk of transferring your addiction.

In the U.S., we have a national hotline for mental health and substance use referrals (including addiction of any kind): SAMHSA’s National Helpline | SAMHSA

SAMHSA’s National Helpline, 1-800-662-HELP (4357) (also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service), or TTY: 1-800-487-4889 is a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year, information service, in English and Spanish, for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations.

Also visit the online treatment locator, or send your zip code via text message: 435748(HELP4U) to find help near you. Read more about the HELP4U text messaging service.

I would also recommend taking a one-month hiatus from purchasing as a first step. It was a breath of fresh air for me.

5 Likes