Dark QotD: What is your wealth background and how has it shaped your collecting?

Welcome to a themed Question of the Day!

The Dark Question of the Day throws out all the pretences of a wonderful community and exposes the possibly not ethical morality of the hobby. Questions are many times open ended and up to interpretation. Feel free to post your thoughts in as much or as little detail as you’d like. Questions are purely meant for educational purposes and not offense.

Helpful Considerations may or may not help some people focus their answer, these are blurred to not bother those who have their own ideas.

QotD Archive
Suggest future things here

Today’s Question:
QotD: What is your wealth background and how has it shaped your collecting?

Helpful Considerations: Born with a silver Charizard in your deck, now psa10s or nothing? A common caterpie was a prized possession, cards are great as long as theyre cute? Somewhere inbetween?

I make enough to be happy :slight_smile:

12 Likes

When I started collecting again back in February 2017, I made $750 a month. I remember seeing cards that were $100 and wondering how people afforded to buy so many of them.

Let’s just say I make a lot more than that now and I couldn’t be more thankful.

2 Likes

But what was your background? Congrats on the now though.

I think my mom is still paying off her student loan.

4 Likes

I’m a middle class brat

2 Likes

Middle class upbringing. As for how it’s shaped my collecting: I’m always budgeting and often take time off from buying when I’ve overspent the budget

5 Likes

I make enough

Fpbp — I heard a piece of advice a while back that this (“I make enough”) is the best way to answer “how much do you make?”.

If you offer a number, and the number you give the person is less than what they make, they may take pity on you or they may consciously or unconsciously degrade your status in their mind.

If you give them a number that is more than what they make, they may harbor resentment or feel a pang of jealousy towards you. Giving a number in either case can change the relationship.

Saying you make “enough” avoids any long term relationship dynamic changes. With that said, I make enough. :wink:

Edit to answer the prompt: I started collecting again in 2019 after a long hiatus and at that point I had a post-grad job. Over time I’ve increased my salary (from enough to enough) but in 2026 I still give myself the same monthly allowance that I set in 2019.

6 Likes

Nice try :woman_detective:

3 Likes

Started off growing up poor and parents started changing tax brackets as I got older.

I think my mom wanted to spoil me in some ways when I was younger so she got me a lot of 1st ed base set packs when I was young. I didn’t know how to play but I liked looking at the pictures and the holos. I didn’t find the old collection and getting back into pokemon until 2017 and my first interest was charizards followed by promos and tournament prizes. But because I grew up with financial constraints, I always felt guilty about spending too much money on a card and it has kept me frugal and always looking for a good deal.

1 Like

Didn’t grow up wealthy, so I learned to be disciplined and only allocate capital where the risk/reward makes sense. That’s why I collect PSA 10 No Rarity cards — overlooked, historically significant, and misunderstood by the broader market.

19 Likes

I’m a millionaire retired crypto entrepreneur venture startup technologies and strategies consultant and I STILL can’t afford cards in this current market.

8 Likes

I grew up with a single working mother supporting three children. We weren’t poor but we were always under financial stress which leads to a very chaotic household. Because of this I’ve always been very conservative with money and live well below my means. This mindset has shaped my collection in both positive and negative ways.

On the positive side it has forced me to really focus on what I actually want and prioritize quality over quantity. There isn’t a single card in my collection (of material value) I regret purchasing or any fat to trim.

On the negative side I’ve passed on many opportunities I didn’t have to and I regret that. In 2022, 2023, and 2024 I could’ve purchased every card on my top ten list all at once without adjusting my lifestyle in any way. I didn’t because it simply felt ‘wrong’ to spend that amount on cardboard all at once. We all know what has happened since then :sweat_smile: . Now it feels ‘MORE WRONG’ :laughing:

I guess overall my ‘lack of wealth background’ has been a net negative for my collection. Even though I’m financially secure now I always feel the need to be more financially secure. Ironically, I would be better off today if I had spent that money years ago. If only I had a time machine :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

Had a rough upbrining, I’m currently disabled living on disability. Every card is a blessing and makes me very happy! Very greatful for the things I’ve managed to get over the years.

13 Likes

Another situation in which I can relate to you. Thank you for sharing that. I, too, live on disability.

My Pokemon card budget is some what small. But I’ve become good at using the hobby to help pay for itself. Trading or selling things to fund the next purchase and what not.

Due to my limited budget, I’ve become very good at finding deals online or otherwise. When your funds are low, you’ve no choice but to be resourceful.

12 Likes

At one point me and my mom we’re homeless and lived on the streets. My mom then fought tooth and nail to get us eventuallly into a apartment, and now we are living in a pretty big house.

I mostly use my own money to buy stuff, as I don’t want my mom to pay for much, but often times she will. I do however have a pretty huge debt to owe my mom :sweat_smile:

19 Likes

Welcome to the fourum! Incredible name that fits the post.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have a great mother :slight_smile:

Don’t we all :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

I’m from a very regular family where my parents sacrificed a lot for kids’ wellbeing, my dad had multiple part time jobs besides farming and my mother was always home with us. I always had everything i needed but as we didn’t have anything luxurious i’ve learnt to make my collection goals too doable and not chase skies, and if i want something more valuable it usually requires waiting, saving or selling. I’m really proud of my parents and the life i’ve learnt from them

7 Likes

My parents didn’t come from a well off background, but they are frugal as heck and had family support. It worked out for them. To that I owe them so much for where I am today.

2 Likes