Crypto and Pokemon cards

Note: this discussion branched off from this thread Pokémon 10-20 years?

crypto bullrun activated. I have already seen some pokemon buys happening with the crypto bros. If the crypto prices keep going higher I think we could seen some crazy buy pressure on sealed first edition base set.

I know nothing about crypto. What? lol

Well the cryptobros were right and everyone that laughed at them are now watching them cash in on their lambos. The good news is that eventually there will be another dip/crash and you can buy in when over leveraged ppl are jumping off cliffs again from fomo buying at all time highs.

As for pokemon, I just can’t see any card sets after 2021 retaining much value since post-covid sets were sorta mass printed to oblivion. But I’m hopeful that as more modern junk prints to demand, sets that continue to get older will continue to hold value. My bet has and always will be on charizards and limited print japanese promos/prize/trophy/prototype. Let’s see how it all shakes out!

5 Likes

Why are they cashing in when crypto is the future?

7 Likes

Most crypto speculators never seriously thought it was the currency of the future, I think. They were right that it would moon. Moon it did. The idea you can sell it to a greater fool later has always been crypto’s main selling point. Too risky for me but they were right.

You must not spend time on social media spaces with them.

It would be a lot less annoying/intrusive if that was the majority talking point - but of course it isn’t because then it wouldn’t moon the way it has.

Those who are taking advantage of the greater fool are not the ones posting about it on social media because it’s not something you would want to broadcast. After all, what is there to be proud of?

Why did so many people sell off the biggest cards in their collection since covid? Why do you cash in on anything when you’re up 100-500x?

1 Like

I think the question is more like, if crypto is believed to be the currency of the future then why do people exclusively hold it to sell it off like an investment? Americans don’t sell off their USD to make a profit in roubles. And on the other end, no one I know was saying that Pokemon cards were going to replace the fiat system.

7 Likes

It’s also fair to note that not everyone feels the same about the market. Everyone here is bullish but we all love Pokemon to death. You could see the retracement from COVID and think that it’s all over. After all it’s just mass produced cardboard. I’ve made plenty of mistakes judging the market and I wager I spend more time analyzing it than most in the general hobby. It’s just not something that can be predicted perfectly.

The best thing I like to remind myself is that I made the best decision I could with the information avalible at the time. If I missed info that was avalible then that’s my fault but if I couldn’t predict unpredictable events I can’t beat myself up on that

7 Likes

There is absolutely a subgroup of people that make money off investing in “dollars” by tracking economies and the exchange rates between them. The amount of time I hear about the “yen being weak, it’s time to buy!” on E4 discord is a testament to even card collectors having that “margin” of profit in their wheelhouse of interest.

There are plenty of use-cases for utilizing crypto as a currency. Ive accepted tens of thousands of dollars in stable-coins such as tether from international clients for products or services rendered.

“Crypto” as a currency and payment method does not mean that certain crypto coins representing different technologies are not invested in/hedged at certain price-points, just like stocks, with the presumption that they will be sold when value increase.

:arrow_up:

1 Like

The people who hold crypto exclusively to sell off like an investment represents a subgroup as well. Neither operate in absolutes.

I only wanted to clarify the point, not looking to argue it. We can do that over dinner

2 Likes

Oh my :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Perhaps you can make this argument for bitcoin. But completely false for the crypto industry as a whole.

I dont know about modern pokemon so much. But I believe modern magic cards will see a decline. I do think the early magic and pokemon sets continue to rise. I bring up The crypto conversation because I think its a huge place for cash to find its way into pokemon. So if btc climbs to 100K+++. I think vintage pokemon will see that liquidity come its way soon after.

People sell it usually because they are up thousands if not millions and it would be irresponsible to not reduce risk. I dont know of many people that believe its replacing currency. thats fringe. But Gold doesnt replace fiat, bonds dont replace fiat, stocks dont replace fiat, real estate doesnt replace fiat, art doesnt replace fiat. And yes, pokemon cards dont replace fiat. But people buy all of them because they believe they have value and are thinking they will get a return.

1 Like

Nobody, not even a fringe, makes the argument that real estate, stocks, bonds or art will replace fiat.

Crypto replacing fiat is a mainstream view from crypto proponents.

If cryptobros were just upfront that it’s just a musical chairs, greater fool gamble then it would receive less or even no pushback. But obviously that is not the case given the number of failed use cases and other marketing points being pushed - and of course, how can they be upfront about that? If they were then they are severely reducing the pool of fools joining the pool.

2 Likes

I think cryptobros are the equivalent of flippers and Whatnot streamers of pokemon. Very loud, but far from the majority.
Big investement firms have a $70 BILLION position in Bitcoin, Ehtereum might follow if approved this May.
It’s fine if you don’t like it and I wouldn’t go in too deep myself. But I do see merrits in it too.
The amount of hate is kind of funny sometimes, I’ll just say I like CGC too, to make this post even more E4 meme worthy.

1 Like

Pokemon is the og NFT.