Comparison of western and japanese Gold Stars?

This question originated from my desire to collect all English Gold Stars as PSA 10, which is almost impossible at this point if you don’t already have the more expensive cards. So I consider collecting the Japanese ones, which are much cheaper (for the most part). So my question is: Is there a big difference in card quality/card design between western and japanese Gold stars?
Sure, I can look up pictures on the internet and compare them, but a picture can only tell so much. I can’t feel the difference in cardboard quality, or see if the holographic pattern is in any way different, or if the structure of the surface is different (sorry if that sounds too nerdy).
If you own both a western and a japanese copy of a Gold Star card, which one looks better, and why?

1 Like

Perhaps buy an inexpensive card in each language?

1 Like

Personally, I think the yellow borders on the English versions works well on these cards. The gold star accents them nicely. However, it seems to me that many prefer the silver borders on the Japanese versions. You’ll just have to figure out which one fits your taste and collection better.

2 Likes

@darky97
Ever since I began collecting graded cards I gotta say japanese gold stars looked much better option due to silver borders. I can still give credit to english versions because they are generally speaking harder to grade but even japanese cards have some tough ones like Mew&Charizard from Offense and Defense of the Furthest Ends. :blush:

1 Like

Well you’re on to something! And i agree on the boarders. It’s funny because i usually only collect English cards but I decided why not tackle Japanese gold stars instead to diversify my collection and add a different visual feel. I havnt bought them yet but when I decide something it gets done :slight_smile: I hope you succeed in collecting them if that’s your goal and if 10s are too pricy go 9’s or 8’s or shit even 7’s I actually love the number 7 anyways and plan to do a random set of cards in 7s at one point haha. But it’s whatever you want to do and collect if you can afford 10’s and truly enjoy the cards go for it!! Just enjoy them and hold them a long time! Don’t be one of those guys tackling collecting goals and instantly selling them off. Don’t mind me though I’m a helpless new Pikachu haha

Gold Stars are just a type of Pokémon that insta-rafflers know of it will attract everybody and their grandma. The hype on them is way to high to justify the price. And ‘complaining’ because you cannot achieve a set of expensive cards, because they’re expensive … yeah… maybe Gold Stars aren’t for you.

If you just want them for the art work, follow this advice:

Buy them in all the European languages. German, Italian, French, Spanish all seems to go for way less. And a Mew is still a Mew.

I like the English yellow boarder the most. If your looking elsewhere for cost, that should be the biggest factor over the looks. The cost is what’s making you look elsewhere in the first place. Whichever I choose I would save up and get what you really want. If it was me settling for “less” (IMO), I know at some point down the road I would be selling what I bought to end up with the one I wanted anyway. This cost more time, effort and potentially money if I’m selling it on ebay with a quick turn around. I’m the type who doesn’t settle for less though lol

1 Like

This might be the worst take I’ve seen on here. Gold stars have the price they do because of unique art and pull ratios, not hype. And I’d go with Japanese because it’s still affordable and looks great. PSA doesn’t grade any other languages.

3 Likes

I have Japanese Gold Star Vaporeon and I love how the holo covers the whole card

2 Likes

The WCP eeveelutions are gorgeous cards

Gold stars are a cornerstone in the hobby for people like me who really started buying packs after the wotc era. There was always a lot of “playground talk” about gold stars when I was growing up. Friends would say, “I have goldstar mew, but I’m not bringing it to school since it’s in my parents safe” “I have a card where the Pokémon comes out of the picture”. Also for me, that era was when I first started watching eBay auctions for cards. I used to beg my mom to get me a gold star.
(Never happened)

Aesthetically I like the Japanese gold stars. English is nice but the price makes it harder for entry level buyers. Let us know what you pick up. Gold stars always have a special place in my childhood.

1 Like

Really? Sorry, but Gold Stars are in the same pond as Base Set and Aquapolis/Skyridge; Instagram hype sets for kids with student loans that wanna flip and flip big.

Thanks for all of your answers!

@smpratte, @genosha, I have considered collecting the cards in other languages, but as another poster said, I’d rather have PSA graded cards for several reasons, and I believe they don’t grade many cards in other languages. The first reason is personal and probably doesn’t apply to many other people: I’m a bit paranoid about damaging my cards even when kept in double sleeves and binders. I come from the Yugioh community and many of my Yugioh cards started bending despite optimal storage conditions. A card in a PSA case is the best protection possible which guarantees that I can enjoy the card for as long as possible. The second aspect is the stability of the value of the card. Even though I really love my Yugioh and Pokemon cards right now,I don’t know how I will feel about my collection in 20 or 30 years. If I ever consider selling them, the chances for a successful sale are higher when the cards are graded and there is a clear indicator for the quality of the cards.

@raichuforyou, @nauticads, yeah, the border difference is a pretty big issue. The shiny silver borders seem a bit more aesthetically pleasing than the dull yellow ones. But I understand that that’s pretty much personal taste.

@mcorey777, @nportell, @nietzsche, @rainbowneosking, Regarding the cost issue, I look at it again and I’m not so sure anymore that going for Japanese PSA 10s is cheaper, despite Japanese Gold Stars being cheaper on average. The heavy hitters on the English side are Rayquaza, Lati@s, Charizard and on the lower end Umbreon/Espeon. Going by today’s prices, you might pay between 25k to 30k for those. On the Japanese side, Umbreon and Espeon are crazy expensive. Those 2 cards alone cost more than all of the English top cards mentioned above combined. I’d say you end up with a similar price for both the English and the Japanese Gold Star collection. This might be the point where I either settle for PSA 9s or go for another sub set that’s less expensive.

@vaporeon, @raichuforyou, Ah, I have seen those Eeveelutions on ebay! The holofoil covering the entire card is unique to those gold stars, right? Or are they a special version of the gold stars? It seems there is a W.C. Pack Version and a Promo version of the Japanese Eevolution gold stars

2 Likes

@darky97 , yes I believe the promo version of the Vaporeon is the one that doesn’t have a 1st edition stamp. It may be sealed in a wrapper. I think one on ebay is still sealed and it doesn’t have a 1st edition mark.

Gold stars are not in the same pond as base set. That doesn’t even make sense. 1st edition base set is the backbone of all of this. It would have been better if you found a post to tell someone to get European languages with base set because PSA actually grades those and they’re historic and that would have actually been great advice. Korean and Chinese base are niche and their prices are what they are regardless of the lack of hype. Aquapolis and Skyridge had a lot of hype but it turned out to not be the driving factor with those sets and they’re established now. They’re the last two wotc sets, with very very short print runs in comparison to base and have great artwork. Same goes for gold stars and their pull ratios were insane. You’re saying hype is a driving factor with these sets and that is just wrong. Not factually accurate. They deserve what they’re priced now and what they will be priced in the future. Is neo destiny hyped? Why did you leave out expedition? Why is expedition not hyped when it has the same identity as Aquapolis and Skyridge? Anyone can say any set is hyped, but tend not to say the sets they can afford are. For you to be saying anything of value the market has to agree with you.

I stick with my statement, they all in the same pond.

oh well looks like you’re just convincing yourself you don’t need something you can’t afford.

I have other collection goals than the things everybody is after. I don’t need to convince myself that Base Set sucks because I cannot spend $55,000 on a PSA10 Charizard. I am very happy with my binder NM copy of Charizard I bought for $45 years ago.

The OP is making the statement he is unable, financially, to get PSA10 Gold Stars. Because he missed out. So he’s going for the cheaper alternative; Japanese. Which, for Gold Stars isn’t really an alternative. It’s just another angle on the same thing. If you want a cheaper alternative you would go for German, French, Spanish, Italian or Portegese. Going for a Japanese alternative because you cannot afford the English … I cannot get my head around it.
At least I have given my opinion on the OP’s question and suggested a cheaper alternative, just like Mr. smpratte did. You’re just reacting to my statement that Gold Stars are overhyped cards.

1 Like

Good idea to go for 9’s maybe even settle for 8’s or whatever your into go for it don’t stress yourself about values just buy what you can afford. And I’m simply choosing Japanese for the boarders and to diversify my collection. I’m Portuguese myself but it is interesting to go for something in Portuguese but not the gold stars. Maybe something kool but cheap like some Portuguese 1st edition Gym Challenge and Hero’s holo’s or Team Rocket