Collection from Childhood - 1st Edition Base - Gym Heroes

I have an almost complete 1st edition base set minus Zapdos and Pidgeotto and Pokemon Trader I believe. I also have some first edition Jungle, Fossil and Team Rocket (including holo Dark Charizard).

I bought these, cracked the packs, traded and played with these as a kid starting in 6th grade I think, but I always played with soft sleeves. None are bent, but there may be some minor surface scratches on holos or edge whitening. I know they’re authentic. Most cards have some minor wear, but some are still in great shape. I doubt there are any PSA 10s, though.

Any ideas on how I should go about figuring out what to do with them? Any guidelines on how to figure out whether I should send some stuff off for grading or not?

2 Likes

Complete first edition base set with no bends? Grade it

4 Likes

Do you know of any videos that explain how grading works and what to look for to estimate my cards grades? It seems like PSA is way backed up and grading it could be expensive depending on the value of the cards. I know they aren’t 10s, but is there a certain grade where they aren’t worth grading?

To be honest, all 1st ed holos are on fire. Even cards people don’t care for, like Magneton, will sell for $250 as a psa 6.

Are you expecting to sell the set? Keep for your own personal collection?

1 Like

I haven’t really decided yet. The prices I’m seeing are kind of insane, but it is a big nostalgic thing for me, too. I don’t NEED the money, so part of me wonders if I should hold them to see if they keep going up in value.

Unfortunately, my Charizard has a print line through the holo :slightly_frowning_face:

Are Jungle on pretty much not worth looking into? I also have some shadowless and unlimited base set.

Here is a picture of my base set holos. imgur.com/RXXb0JX

3 Likes

@mysticlancer If you don’t NEED money or want anything else more then the cards then for sure keep them as long as possible.

If your looking to sell then grade every single one even PSA 1 quality. You mentioned it might cost a lot for grading and I’m guessing you will be correct depending on what grading company you choose.

Just expect a long wait and be prepared for the expenses.

Also grade the Commons and everything!

1 Like

Personally, I would grade them or at least finish the set as a binder set. These cards are the focal point right now, so if you did sell them I am sure you could make a large bonus check for the month :grin:

If you have 1st edition Jungles in pretty good condiiton, I would grade those too. That’s just me though!

2 Likes

Just grade them, seriously. Unless you really just want a binder set, which is also a great way to look at them. Otherwise, grading them allows for encapsulation and much better protection/preservation, overall, as well as increasing their values.

Regardless, awesome childhood collection! you were one of the lucky ones who got to experience 1st edition base set as a kid, haha.

4 Likes

I lived just north of Seattle at the time, so I’m guessing that played into the luck of being near WOTC to get the cards into my local store :blush: I have many fond memories, but part of me wishes I took better care of the cards :blush:

5 Likes

High grade jungle and unlimited definitely worth grading as well. The 1st ed charizard could be torn in half and still be worth grading so the print line is not a big deal lol

3 Likes

@mysticlancer, On the Charizard, a print line doesn’t mean anything as @pokecollectoramy, noted. I sold a moderate played Zard two weeks ago for $4,000. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure… bad reference, but to somebody that print line doesn’t mean anything :blush:

3 Likes

Message @churlocker for grading help. He runs ludkins USA

2 Likes

We never had 1st edition base in my city that’s for sure. Well done to hold onto these all these years!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info everyone. I took some pictures of the Blastoise, Charizard and Venasaurs 1st eds. They’re not in the best shape, but they aren’t trash either. Here they are for anyone interested in sharing their opinions.

imgur.com/a/DE0m39J

4 Likes

Those look great! I’m sure others will chime in with what they think but those look pretty decent to me.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you decide to go the grading route and I can help you get plugged in with the lowest effort/cost possible. ludkinsusa@gmail.com

1 Like

Very nice find! The Charizard looks like it has an indent on the holo, print lines normally look different. Anyways, all gradeable for sure!

A tip from someone who sold his childhood collection to make a quick buck: Don´t do it unless you really don´t care about the cards anymore :blush:

1 Like

The picture may not show it well but it goes all the way across the card. There is no difference on the surface as far as impressions. It’s more of a visual thing if that makes sense. Of course, I am not an expert on grading so maybe it is.

In person, it looks like this mewtwo - www.elitefourum.com/t/does-this-truly-deserve-an-8/19027/1

Thanks for the advice on selling, too. I honestly have no clue what I’m going to do.

Wow. That is an amazing collection from your childhood. I always had to tell my friends to hold their excitement because their cards probably aren’t first edition. But yours actually are and they’re gorgeous considering they were your actual childhood cards. Nothing from my childhood looks that nice. 190% get these all graded. I know it’s been stated already, but it can’t be stated enough. Big congratulations on this nice bonus to your net worth!

this card is even worth grading. If this is worth it, yours definitely is.

1 Like

I really like the genuine nature of this post. I wish you the best on whatever you decide to do with the cards. What a story.

1 Like