Coin identification and price check

I have this coin and damage counters which I got in a large card lot from Japan a year or so ago. I’ve been told it’s a 2003 Battle Road Rayquaza coin, can anyone confirm this and what is its rough value? Are the damage counters from the tournament or just from a standard deck expansion?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

There is an eBay user canman202020 that seems to claim he know s about every coin. He sells a bunch of them and has lists for them as well. I might swing over there and ask him if I were you.

2 Likes

I can second this. Very nice guy and model collector. He found a niche, he collected for joy, and he became as close to an expert on the subcategory as one can come.

1 Like

Anyone have any idea roughly how many different coins have been released?

Thanks for the help guys, it’s very much appreciated.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Coin_(TCG) as you can see a lot. i’m collecting them together with the cards

Canman actually has a listing on his eBay where he is selling binder inserts for collecting coins. It is extremely comprehensive and should give you some sort of approximation at the total number of different coins out there.

I’ve collected all the coins from the WotC era and surprisingly there weren’t even that many of them. There were only eight pokemon featured on the plastic flip coins, and the only ones that have “variants” are the Chansey and the Vileplume as far as I could tell. Other than these plastic flip coins, there were also two metal coins released during the Wizards era, which were the Pikachu Coin from the Thunderstorm Gift Set and the Lugia Coin from the Neo starter decks. If anyone knows of other coins released during that time frame, I’d definitely like to know! :grin:

My coin collection:

i just found out that there are like 200 maybe even more metal coins.

To the best of my knowledge, the coins you are referring to are probably the ones that were released in Japan as their own standalone coin battle game in the Gen 1-2 era; they aren’t TCG related.

Turns out the coin is quite rare as even canman202020 didn’t know anything about it!

“New message from: canman202020 (1,667Red Star)
Hi, sorry for the delay getting back to you. I had to do some research on the coin as I do not have a copy of it. Turns out it is from the 2003 Battle Roads Tournament. I didn’t know about it as I always skip over the silver Japanese coins in ebay listings as I don’t trade in them. This is a new coin that I am going to have to add to the list. Thanks for pointing it out.”

Is it the size of metal coins or the size of plastic coins?

Tagging: @mavericknate

The coin is a little smaller than the plastic coins in the sets today.

That is super interesting. Huh.

You received the Rayquaza coin for participating in Spring Battle Road tournaments in 2003. It being Rayquaza, a metal coin, and from over a decade ago, it sells on Japanese sites for about 30-40 dollars. Battle Roads for this period were held at the following locations:
*Hokkaidō conference: Ito-Yokado Tonden, Sapporo on March 23, 2003.
*Kantō A conference: Ito-Yokado Kasai, Tokyo on March 23, 2003.
*Kansai conference: Daiei Deyashiki, Amagasaki on March 23, 2003.
*Tōhoku conference: Ito-Yokado Izumi-ku, Sendai on March 30, 2003.
*Chūbu conference: APiTA Nagakute, Aichi on March 30, 2003.
*Kyūshū conference: Daiei Sasaoka, Fukuoka on March 30, 2003.
*Kantō B conference: ESPA Kawasaki, Kanagawa on April 6, 2003.
*Chūgoku/Shikoku conference: Fuji GRAND Natalie, Hiroshima on April 6, 2003.

The damage counters aren’t from the tournament and are instead from Neo Era stuff, specifically the Intro Pack Neo from April 2001

There are several versions of the Aerodactyl too.

2 Likes