Chase card value vs.. long term set popularity (modern)

Crown zenith is a good example of massive popularity, but the chase cards are all already sub $200.

Silver Tempest is still available at retail but not nearly as in demand even though the chase card is still around the same as Crown Zenith.

Will Crown Zenith fade away in the same quick fashion as soon as SV hits shelves? Compared to a set like evolving skies that is still in demand and has massively expensive chase cards

Pull rates are high so tbh CZ seems to be doing extremely well on price

Can’t compare both sets, different pullrates, different products, different utility.

4 Likes

Pull rates are different explains everything.

If anything, they are all overpriced.

1 Like

So better pull rates = more instant popularity?

But wouldn’t better pull rates also equal less long-term popularity of the set?

Seems to be the trend once everyone has the cards they want and the next shiny set comes along

That has pretty much be the norm in modern for a while.

Why giratina, umbreon, lugia and some of those alt art are expensive is well because they are popular pokemon but mostly because pulling them is insanely hard.

If you take another specialty set such as shining fates, everything is easy to pull there. Ofc CZ is a more appealing set than shining fates but still there’s nothing really “hard” to pull.

1 Like

All you gotta do for “long term modern” is check if you have a gen 1 or 2 alt art chase. Thats all, the rest of the set can be complete trash but itll still be a chase set

4 Likes

Keep in mind that better pull rates is still trash.

I’m not sure how many ETBs you’d have to burn through to complete the entirety of CZ. So even if pull rates are good, it still will take a lot of money if you want to pull them all.

So in that sense, long term popularity can hold up because you get more hits but not necessarily the ones you need whereas pretty much every set from SM-Evolving Skies is downright awful. Open a booster box and you might not get a FA. Highest rarity VMAX is what you’re dealing with.

Brilliant Stars - Silver Tempest are only marginally better due to the TG but it’s not easier to complete the main set (or even the TG) since there are 2 separate pools being drawn from.

All sets burn out for a bit and then make a return later on. If you told me back in 2016 that PRIMES would make a comeback, id never believe you.

Curious to see how the pull rates are for scarlet and violet, with every pack guaranteed to have something.

1 Like

If you think the Prime comeback is crazy, then just wait till the BREAK cards start getting popular. When I give cards to friends and family that somewhat collect, they always comment on how cool the BREAK cards are…

2 Likes

God i dont want to admit that this is going to happen, but im sure it is lol. Ive always liked primes though, never cared much for breaks.

1 Like