Charizard Collectors Are Nuts. Why?

:joy::joy::joy: I’m pretty sure my 3 1/2 year old & 5 yr old are convinced my Eevee cards & couple Eevee plushes are just substitutes for real Eevee creatures that exist in the world!!! All the world’s memorabilia for Eevee is keeping the fantasy alive. My Piper holds her stuffed “Snowy” Vulpix so tight, she will POKEMON Fight you in a battle & real fight you!!! They poke-battle daily… So no we’re not right in the head. :person_gesturing_ok::purple_heart:

I hate to say this but I hate Charizard collector’s because I don’t know whos real and who only cares about value. X.x. All I see in all the posts now is about Reshizard and im just annoyed more than anything. (I don’t really hate them, but I don’t know whos real or fake)

2 Likes

I can respect that. Charizard isn’t my favorite Pokemon. I like the challenge associated with collecting him due to the hype, value, exclusivity, etc. It’s a card that transcends his generation and will continue to be reprinted in the new era. It’s popular enough that it will be on the exclusive cards (Staff, Prerelease, Cxxxxxxxr). The card is also in demand enough that it tends to retain its value if not appreciate over time. Also, the Pokemon is well known to people outside of the hobby. I believe this is an important trait when deciding who to collect.

Pikachu also piqued my interest, but as the “gotta catch em all” phrase goes, this would be impossible with Pikachu. Many promos and variants are so exclusive and short lived that a complete collection is not attainable. Jolteon is another consideration, but it does not meet many of the points stated above with Charizard. I would always be the top buyer for many of the cards which is not good for long term value. I’ll never be the top buyer for Charizard variations.

5 Likes

@gemmintpokemon Well said

Yup totally agreed! I have collected some Zards just for value. I also have no beef for people who want to buy and make $$ to get what they really want. I love Pikachu and yes you are right, I was originally going to try and collect but he is insane (even more then Zard haha). I really enjoy seeing people who collect odd Pokemon or one’s that are not as popular because I like to see the artwork. When you love certain Pokemon, the rest seem to get phased out and an example is I saw someone who loves Rapidash or any “horse” looking Pokemon. I bought her some free cards (very inexpensive) but I really enjoyed looking at the cards. Lastly, good point on those who are not exclusively in the hobby. I gave a father’s son like 2000 of my cards for free (asked if they were fake) then came to my house and saw my collection. He asks me for advice but the point of that was that even he asked about Charizard a lot. He made a joke that my collection sucks cuz I don’t have a first edition Charizard in my collection since he just found out about it lol

This nonsense is something we’d expect to see on reddit or the goofballs on Facebook. Let’s keep E4 a little more classy than the child sites;) No room for haters here…hopefully.

2 Likes

Very interesting and a good opinion. I wonder how many high end Charizards are truly purchased as collectibles? Versus investment pieces or to corner the market?

I smell a lot of privilege, Charizard privilege.

1 Like

Yeah. People work hard on their collections and are overall serious about their collections here on E4. This is a collectors web site. This thread is what you might find on reddit or pokegym where all the haters lurk.

1 Like

Are you saying the OP is mad?

Leans over mic**

I think OP was just trying to start a conversation with a different take on Charizards.

2 Likes

Why? For what purpose? To what end? It was a diatribe drenched in gobblygook lol.

Nah…he’s actually a friend of mine.

I mean I think you’re nuts for paying $80k for a Charizard, I’m not a hater am I? :grin:

I would argue some people are just telling the truth about Charizard, and you as one of the collectors might not like it?

1 Like

I hope this post is not being taken out of context. I tried several time in the post to show that I had no ill will or any negative feelings at all toward Charizard and that I appreciate him for everything. I have zero anger, hate, or saltiness at all. I even pointed out that I myself don’t even place Charizard in my top Pokemon. I was just simply trying to stir up conversation in an intelligent community in hopes that maybe some good information would come out of it - knowing there are many Charizard collectors among the faces of this group. I am mainly trying to point out that I think Charizard does not follow the trends of normality - even as far as outliers are concerned - and wanted to hear the people’s thoughts on my original post.

With that said - keep it civil and keep it intelligent e4.

Sincerly,
OP (TheCardGuru)

Hi, a somewhat-nutty Charizard collector here.
I’ve been collecting Charizard for years with a complete collection based off just the artwork. Not collecting every single variant, just the main artwork is the focus because as mentioned collecting all these cards gets expensive quick.
I get the whole “supply and demand” concept, and as others mentioned Charizard is the “it” Pokemon that almost everyone goes after. However yes I do find it irksome how much the cards can go for. A new set comes out and aside from Pokemon hot in the competitive scene, most cards are cheap and reasonable except Charizard. I personally just see a cycle of “Oh wow, Charizard I need it! Everyone buys it, which makes sellers realize it’s in demand, so price goes up, which makes more people want the card, etc” which could be a possible explanation for the inflation these cards in particular get. It’s a double-edged sword because while you are guaranteed to be paying a higher price to add a piece to your own personal collection, it also means it’s a sound “investment” where if you need to sell your collection or certain cards for whatever reason, there’s a huge potential market and you’ll get your money back at the minimum.
I’ve had to place restrictions on my own collection because of how expensive the cards can get, but at the same time I’m part of the problem where “Oh a new Charizard card came out, time to spend $XX(X) on it” no questions asked (but still being annoyed at the price) due to being a favorite Pokemon.

1 Like

Why nuts? I’ve already turned down 100k for one of my two. Maybe, crazy like a fox…

1 Like

My point is haters are steeped in jealousy which is being displayed by comments like yours. No Pokémon enthusiast “hates” any Pokémon. It’s simply not part of our great hobby. Only loser trolls would voice such anti Pokémon sentiments and haters have nothing better to do.

I hate plenty of Pokemon and I’ve spent a lot of time and money on this franchise. *shrug*

1 Like