CGC or BGS to grade Expedition FPO Cards?

I acquired a set of the expedition FPO cards a bit ago, and they’ve mostly just been sitting there. I’d like to get them graded not to sell but just to put them in a secure case. It makes me a bit nervous to have expensive stuff lying around ungraded lol. I was wondering if there’s a preference between BGS or CGC with their new slab format?

To clarify also, my cards are not in super great shape. I know a lot of the FPO cards were opened straight from packs and they get 9.5s at BGS, but mine are probably in the 6-8 range, if that matters. I guess resale value down the road could be a consideration if I ever want to liquidate for other stuff. I have not seen any FPO cards in the new CGC slabs at all.

As always this is going to be a personal preference question. For these rare cards, and in those grades, I don’t believe resell price will be much different either way. Personally, I think CGC has the best cases in the hobby by a long shot and bgs has the worst (clarity wise) and I like the focus on the cards. Cgc will also be quicker and cheaper to grade. $15 for economy up to $1000 per card vs $18 for base bgs or $22 with subs and a much longer turnaround. My personal opinion.

5 Likes

This is my own strong personal opinion but i really don’t see BGS as a serious entity in this hobby in 2023. If it wasn’t for the black label they would be in the same category as the rest of the irrelevant 3 letter basement grading companies.

12 Likes

I’ll go for CGC.
CGC has better looking cases, and they have a bigger market share than BGS right now. BGS is dropping off real hard, only gimmick keeping them relevant is the black label.

2 Likes

CGC all the way here. BGS is an afterthought in Pokemon. Really only used by stonkbeasts who are seeking the Black Label.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth I graded a matchprint card this year with BGS and I regret not going with CGC.

I think I got unlucky but the case has what I can only describe as hazing that is inside of it. Clarity looks pretty bad (I do own another BGS slab that doesn’t have this problem to be fair) but CGC do have the best case hands down.

I will cross it to CGC in the next few months!

Does anyone know if CGC offer the GN (genuine) label for non high end cards? Could be an option for you also if you just want your FPO cards slabbed.

1 Like