Card Shop

I’ve started the journey of opening a card shop. I would like to know who would be interested in the journey? I can record the process from start to finish; succeed or fail and upload it to YouTube. I can go over my strategy and the economics of a card shop. I will give out true data so everyone can see what card shops are all about.

Now, I plan to make this store Pokémon only. All this can change however, this is the current plan. I don’t want to add the effort if no one is interested in watching something like this.

Any feed back is welcome.

Thank you.

29 Likes

I would be interested. I have started a similar journey of my own and it is only an online shop. My shop sells modern Japanese Pokemon and Digimon Cards, so it’s more niche. It’s a huge learning curve, I’m onto learning about FB ads and Google Ads now.

How far along are you in this journey?

Yes, that’d be awesome! I’ve never owned my own business, but I am very interested in understanding the process, especially about inventory, procurement, marketing in 2020 on social media, cash flow strategies, etc.

1 Like

I would definitely be interested in seeing this! I’m especially interested in learning more about the process of inventory management.

I would love to watch! Rudy did a similar video series as he procured a location and bought inventory and all. Thought it was really fun to see that video every few days.

1 Like

Sounds like a fantastic endeavor many of us wish we could do. The only issue I see at face value from your initial post is the “only Pokemon” part. Lots of card games, board games, and different communities within your store are going to drive business and make you more profitable depending on what your goals are. Also - know your community. In my area - some shops have all the Pokemon crowd, some have all the yugioh crowd, and all stores have an MTG crowd (haha). Just something to consider and I wish you luck!

4 Likes

If your talking about a physical retail location I would definitely have sports cards and other TCG along with comics and even board games. I don’t think a Pokemon exclusive store would make it.

4 Likes

Definitely second this!

Derium from Derium’s Pokemon had a dedicated series called ‘Cardshop life’ which he eventually stopped making. I am sure lots of people will be interested in watching, just not sure if there will be enough to make it worth your time and effort if your goal is to monetize the videos (you’re probably going to be busy enough with hundreds of other things).

Either way, best of luck in this endeavor and I hope your card shop will be around for many years to come. And if you decide to make a video series do let us know what your channel is. I’ll be interested in watching. :blush:

Hey,
Firstly, congrats on your venture! And I had something similar in mind for 2021. I plan on doing something solely with Pokémon too and mostly online. I would love to know your journey and certain things like

1. Initial investment
  2. Turnover time for your capital
  3. How you went about finding a wholesaler and some related intricacies
  4. Stock management and forecast

Just some of the points from of the top of my head if you wouldn’t mind detailing in your journey. Good luck to you and best wishes! Hopefully you’ll be posting often and would love to follow your journey. Cheers!

This 100%. I think its really important to at least consider branching out into everything ccrntrade mentioned. I would definitely make sure you’re at least a pokemon sanctioned store/professor before opening. That way you can have weekly league play/events, monthly challenges/cups, and prereleases.

Congratulations on your new venture, I wish you all the success. Would be very interested in the videos as it has intrigued me on how much work goes into setting up hobby shops. Also as others have mentioned, having a wider range of products will help, but we all have to start somewhere. Please keep us updated regarding your channel and video links.

Cheers!

Not to be negative its just my opinion but I think if you’re looking to turn a profit, make a living and spend significant time doing this you more than likely may end up disappointed with some grey hairs and a lighter wallet.

Everyone here is congratulatory however just remember they have no skin in your game although have offered some supportive advice

1 Like

I’m curious too :stuck_out_tongue:

@jchampion ,

From my minor experience in running my online card shop, I can tell you everyday you are putting out multiple fires, and there will be the occasional meteor that comes along.

My meteor was this: I recently had the problem where I pre-sold 34 boxes of a new set from Japan, only to be told by my supplier that I am only going to get 0. My initial order quantity was 120 boxes. The main issue was the manufacturing side in Japan is limited (likely due to covid-19 AND to artificially limit supply). There wasn’t enough product to satiate the local Japanese market and so foreign market orders were drastically reduced. To make matters worse, this was my first wave of sales, if my customers don’t get their order, they will never come back and may even leave bad reviews. If that happened, my whole business and brand is gone. Months of hard work down the drain. My supplier didn’t fulfil his job and orders to me, but I didn’t want to disappoint my customers.

The easy choice is to give up. Refund the orders, make a loss, and likely lead to closing up shop. I didn’t want to take the easy choice out. It’s always available. On release day, I spent half a day going to every single shop in my area asking for boxes available (not many, most were sold in pre-orders). I ended up buying at spiked retail price, and I carried all those boxes home, packed and shipped the orders. My customers got the product and they were happy. I made a loss but my business and reputation is in-tact.

This was an important lesson to me: never only have one supplier. And make sure your suppliers are reliable. It is not always about finding the cheapest supplier.

I assume you’re doing it alone. Which also means you do everything. You source the supplier(s), negotiate prices and quantities, research products to buy, become customer support, marketing team, social media team, sales team, the accountant and the list goes on. It’s much easier if you have a team that helps you though, but of course that brings its own challenges.

All I want to say is that it won’t be easy, but nothing ever really is. I’d be interested in sharing things learnt along the way. I do Japanese Pokemon and Digimon cards, I’m assuming our markets don’t clash?

2 Likes

I had an antique store with cards and comics too about 19 years ago. Things were soooo different back then that I wouldn’t be of much help. Now Rusty at tcagaming went through this just a couple years ago so maybe he’d be a good one to touch base with.

Not OP, but I do have a few questions that I wanted to ask, if you don’t mind answering.

1. How did you go about finding the right suppliers. If I just google Pokémon supplier Europe I just get card stores
  2. Did you have to commit to buying all sets that come out with a minimum order quantity? Or can you pick and choose and order let’s just the “good sets” such as burning shadows, hidden fates, champions path that you know would sell
  3. Being a new seller, did they give you a fair pricing or was there room to negotiate what prices you bought the boxes
  4. Did you think of opening up your own online store while you sell on eBay? That ways you’re protected by those buyer charge backs and save on eBay fees. If so, how did you go about promoting that store or did you have to pay for SEO

Just a few questions I had in mind as I wanted to start something related to Pokémon in Europe, maybe sometime next year but I have limited funds and wanted to know how best can I rotate that and how much initial capital would I need if I need to commit to buy all sets that release and all tins and promos.
Good luck on your journey by the way! Hope it all works out :blush:

1 Like

Hey thanks!

I’ll send you a PM so as not to hijack the thread, cheers!

1 Like

thanks a lot. I did response to it and had some follow up questions haha.

I believe this is solid advice.
If you have an ebay store that at the very least pays your bills and can support your brick and mortar, you should be fine. My only advice to Rusty a couple years ago when he opened his card shop was, don’t let your ebay store suffer because you opened a shop. Keep it strong and growing.