Best way to negotiate price on eBay.

Hey All,

Title says it.

New to the game and after researching sold auctions and considering budget, I like a bit of back and forth when negotiating with eBay sellers. This is also my first time using eBay.

By no means am I looking to rip anyone off, rather, find a price we would both be happy with based on recent market activity.

I guess my concern is, when I put an offer in - it’s declined without any counter and/or reply to my message. I don’t know how far off I am, and if it’s worth my time continuing to offer for a bit, or try another seller at my the price.

I try contacting them before to see if they have a specific price in mind (normally when their asking is way way off current market prices) but they just don’t respond.

Any advice is appreciated :blush:

I don’t have the thread handy, however there was an engaging thread from 1-2 months ago. The thread has input from a variety of buyers and sellers. It gave a well rounded opinion of the exact points you’re looking for.

The title may have been related to sellers not responding to messages.

It’s worth a read!

4 Likes

sometimes people have their ig handle or email in the store desc and you can ask away there

There is not one answer for this as sellers are different. If they have listed an item for a price, they have given you the price they have in mind. If they have a best offer option, I personally as a seller would not reply to a “what’s your lowest/in mind price” since that’s negotiating leverage I won’t give up. I personally do not like “back and forth” much as a seller. I like that challenge when buying a car, but I’m not a salesman so I’m not on board with “haggling” when I’m not getting paid by the hour to perform that function. I have a price in mind. If you hit it, I’ll sell. I would not sweat worrying about “ripping anyone off” since that probably won’t happen anyway. Do your best to get your best price as a buyer. When submitting offers, I would recommend you keep sending offers if you are inclined. Have a price in mind of what you are willing to pay, if you don’t already when you begin making offers. I have learned through trial and error which sellers I have purchased from or solicited afford wiggle room and which do not. Also don’t forget circumstances change for sellers, too. What I said yesterday as a seller may not even apply today. You may piss some sellers off. Just do your best to learn from it and don’t be afraid to make mistakes is my best advice.

1 Like

I think I remember smpratte saying in one of his videos, if a buyer messages him with some evidence of so and so card hes buying with x amount, basically show its a fair offer, he’ll often accept their offer.

As a seller, I’d rather you use the best offer option I have available, rather than message me in hopes of some back and fourth negotiating. I have auto-decline set for certain cards to weed out the lowballs. If you’re being auto-declined, either up your offer or try offering on a different copy.

1 Like

My opinion:

Shoot your shot and don’t take it personally if it gets ignored.

1 Like

Fair enough too! I guess I try and put myself in the shoes of both parties. The seller wants to make as much as they can, and the buyer wants to save as much as they can so how do I get both of us leaving the room happy.

Some good advice in there, and I’ll keep on keeping on - thanks for the reply :blush:

interesting! I love doing analysis and have done so for the cards I want to buy - I just think if I send this shit to a seller, they’ll be put off and won’t reply.

Can’t hurt to try I guess.

Cheers!

Thanks all for your replies. Food for thought for sure :blush: