1st Edition Neo Genesis Lugia PSA 10

Hi guys.

I have this beautiful card and I’m wondering about current value. I’ve heard all from sales at $50k to $75k but idk if any of those are true. Does anyone actually have any fact about this card recent sales?

Take care! :heart:

dbruze posted:

1 Like

last sale was 50k

2 Likes

I wonder what the prices of the 9 will do soon. Still sitting about 10% of the 50k sale. Crazy.

Psa 10 1st ed zards stood at 50k and psa 9 at 5k for what seemed like years

5 Likes

9s are not the hardest to grade, 10s are on a different level though with Neo Genesis. I could see the current pricing ratio staying the same for a while, or the 9s creeping up to 15% of the 10s price.

Yes, but considering the hard to grade nature of nearly everything in Neo Gen, it wouldnt surprise me if they rose even more. I mean, why else did t17 make a huge shot up in 9s?

If 10s are so incredibly hard to come by, people will just naturally go to the next best thing thus raising demand. The formula is all there.

Buyers are holding out for 10s. The thing that will make 9s rise is if the 10 competitions eventually cave and settle for a 9 instead. The supply of 9s out there is pretty good at around 320 copies.

Could be, which is true, but then again I can only speak from my own experience which is where my reply came from. I wasnt waiting on a 10, I have 2 9s. Same with Typhlosion. But as the price of a 10 rises and with a small population, i can wholeheartedly say 9s will at least be more appealing to some collectors. If what you saying is true, we can expect lots of people fighting for the 10 when they appear, driving the pricepoint and with rising tides, id expect to see movement out of the rest of the grades moving forward. Just kinda how thats been working there and how ive seen it, but im no expert.

So again, id expect to see either stability where it is now or some rises, but sadly i cant predict the future. Who knows.

3 Likes

Rather than create a new thread I thought I’d post here. If psa 9s are now rpughly $5000, what would you guys think a bgs 9.5 would be worth with the sub grades: centering, edges and corners 9.5, and surface 9? Cant find any recent sold data and I have no experience with bgs, so not sure what premium (if any) it would command with those subs.

Given with those sub grades it’ll have a real tough time re grading as a psa 10 I’d assume it could sell slightly under a psa 9?

9.5s (even weak ones) almost always sell for significantly more than PSA 9s for high end cards. For a lower value card it may not. A lot of people like having uniformity for lower end cards whether it be cheaper commons or something they’d rather have them all be PSA 9/10 rather than mixing in 9.5s

Significantly more? Is it generally 10%/20% more or even higher?

@mrtz There’s no specific rule, it just varies based on the subgrades, how sought after the cards is, how hard the card is to grade, how the card itself actually looks, etc. That being said, I’d expect it to be closer to half the price of a 10 for a weak 9.5 (unless 10s are hard to grade then I’d expect the 10 to carry more of a premium) and a 9.5++ (2x 9.5 and 2x 10 subgrades) to be around the price of a PSA 10. Quad 9.5s will be somewhere between. A recent pwcc auction for a 9.5 1st edition base charizard w 3 9.5s and 1 9 sub went for $126k which was close to around half of a 10 at the time but like I said it varies and that is assuming that card was paid for. There is no definitive answer though.

I personally think its harder to compare 1st ed zard to lugia because the 10 pops are so radically different. I think 10 Lugia will rise quicker than what 10 zard did AND 9’s will rise faster and at a better ratio because there are so few 10s 3x less than 10 zard give or take. The people that hold gen 2 the most nostalgic are still young and many haven’t come into their careers or money yet but they will and lugia will take off. 10s will be insane and 9s will have a better ratio, not necessarily better price, but better ratio than 1st ed zard

IMO

1 Like

It’s funny how one 9.5 over a 9.0 in subgrades can put the value up or down thousands

@mrtz lol yup, same goes for one little piece of whitening can be the difference between a 9 and a 10 and the difference of 10s of thousands of dollars

2 Likes

Time to break out the blue sharpie

2 Likes

Haha believe it or not some people have tried sending recolored cards to PSA. Not the best decision

1 Like