1st Edition Base Set Booster Pack

Hey everyone, I have been researching the current value of 1st edition base set booster packs, and I am still uncertain. Seems like they range between $400 to $900, which is quite a range. I am also a little confused as to why the PSA cased packs should sell for more money in a 10 than in an 8 let’s say, when the cards inside a pack graded 8 could very well be 9-10s for all we know? Not sure why the quality of the pack itself matters. I would assume it would make more sense for PSA to give it authenticity and reassurance that the pack wasn’t previously opened or tampered with, rather than a grade? Personally I would pay the same amount for a PSA 5 or 10 if it’s a sealed pack, but please let me know if I am missing something as I am new to all of this. I am curious to know what is the most you have seen a pack been sold for in the past year, and was it graded or ungraded?

1 Like

PSA graded packs are most likely weighed 99% of the time. PSA graded packs are just for sealed product collectors, it has nothing to do with whats inside nor the condition of the inside cards. 10s will always hold a premium, its just the way it is.

2 Likes

I guess I would fall more in the sealed product collectors category mentality then. Seems to me a sealed WOTC product is 100% guaranteed investment, whether it is weighed or not doesn’t really matter to me, as long as it’s a legit sealed product. I am assuming sealed collectors would pay the same price whether a sealed pack is graded PSA 5 or 10, weighed or unweighed, since you’re guaranteed the price will go up over the years? With so many people opening their packs, they’re going to be SO rare that the grade will be irrelevant, seems to me. I’m not sure if I’m right to think this way. The most I’ve seen a pack sold for is $900, seems to me this should be a fair price these days… But then I’ve seen some sold as low as $400 so I am confused what the value is.

I’ll sell you all that I have for $900 if you’d like. I wouldn’t pay more than $350 for Venusaur, $400 for Blastoise, and $450 for Charizard art.

1 Like

@pokemonrevolution is selling PSA graded 1st ed base packs from US $479.99 (PSA9) to US $549.99 (PSA10). His prices are usually pretty fair! I don’t know how much they sell for normally.

1 Like

@cullers @malin Thanks for sharing guys! I actually already own a Charizard pack and just trying to figure out the current market value.

You would pay a PSA 10 price for a PSA 5? Hmmm…you’re richer than all of us;)

Lol! Maybe I should have specified I’m being hypothetical. Clearly I’m confused about the value of these things. :wink: