YU NAGABA returns - Eeveelutions collaboration

Yeah I get it. Imagine if they had a YU Nagoya promotion for Blastoise, Charizard, and Venusaur, where you had equal chance of getting either one. I’m guessing the Charizard would be the most expensive.

1 Like

There was actually a time years ago when it was neck and neck with Jolteon. Umbreon still probably had the edge, but the difference was not nearly as pronounced as it is now.

Oddly enough, Jolteon has slipped pretty far down the list. Espeon has passed it, and even Vaporeon seems to be the more popular Pokemon now. Strange considering Jolteon used to be far and away the most popular Gen 1 Eeveelution (I’m sure @eeveeteam remembers this), but that may have had something to do with the fact that it was easily the best in battle of the original trio.

2 Likes

The umbreon being the most popular Eeveelution has always been a thing, but I agree with @Cerulean that the difference used to be marginal. I think between the play Umbreon and the Moonbreon, it is not just the most popular but also has a stonkability factor. Similar to how Charizord prices often go beyond the organic popularity of the pokemon.

Perhaps it’s time to start calling it Numbreon because I’ve gone numb with how often this pokemon is the topic of conversation

3 Likes

For Gen 1 games, Flareon was useless - high attack with no move pool besides body slam. Jolteon and Vaporeon were playable.
Gen 2 games - Espeon was good to have on the team. Very few people knew about Umbreon’s stall tactics move pool of Toxic, Moonlight, Sand Attack and Feint Attack

I remember a time when the Neo Discovery Espeon and Umbreon were very close in price. Cards released these days have a heavy value shift towards Umbreon. I don’t fully get it. Not 100% of people think Umbreon is the best. There are a lot of other fan favorites.

1 Like

I don’t know what makes Umbreon so popular, but I suspect it’s just very good Pokemon design. There was a huge reddit survey 4 years ago, where over 50,000 people voted for their favorite Pokemon. Umbreon came in at 6th place, followed by Eevee at 9th place, then Espeon at 28th place and Jolteon at 35th place. So it’s not just Umbreon cards being synonymous with stonks, people just really like it.

Also fun fact: ~30% of all Umbreon cards have a moon in it. So “Moonbreon” is kind of a pleonasm.

My Ebay set order from 11 days ago shipped today to my surprise. Will be interesting to see where these things land when it all settles down a bit.

1 Like

I picked up a set, along with a couple boosters. I feel like these are a safe pickup.

2 Likes

One of two of my pokemon center shipments have already arrived so I’d expect the market to start getting flooded again.

1 Like

TPC order arrived today :blush:

Now, I dunno if this is normal or if I’ve beaten some crazy-ass odds, but managed to pull the whole 9 card set (plus a spare Eevee) from my 10 packs. I’m leaning towards this being “normal”, only guessing that TPC printed and packaged them in order.

Did anyone else pull the whole set or 10 more “random” cards?

17 Likes

Just watched a youtuber do the same thing! Very cool.

2 Likes

I’ve seen people have fairly good luck with packs. Not necessarily all 9 in 10 packs, but fairly close that.

1 Like

Definitely not in order, I received them directly from TPC in person and watched them hand it to me, got 7 unique in 10. It’s possible their stacks were however a combination of multiple boxes which themselves were individually in order. Would be my luck. My friend who did the same did get all 9 in 10.

1 Like

For those who are still looking to buy, prices seem to be settling here now. Also as a heads up, don’t buy the packs themselves since they can be searched quite easily. I tested the method on all of my packs, opened 7 and got all 7 of them correct. If you’re buying packs in the hope of an umbreon, you’re not going to get it.

With that said, I got 1 umbreon out of 30 packs :frowning: .

1 Like

I thought the packs are not searchable. I opened 400 packs. I have many more Umbreon than Jolteon and Leafeon.

You just had an honest seller/sellers. I experienced the opposite.

yeah, what I do is before buying packs off mercari, check their other listings to see if they’re selling/have sold any umbreons. If so, assume the packs are searched. Has worked for me so far and have pulled 9 umbreons from around 90 packs

My attempt at opening all of them myself! I managed to pack it in a decent amount of packs all direct from Pokemon center:

1 Like

I just worked out a deal and did the same. These really grew on me the past while as I’ve been expanding my modest Japanese collection. Very unique cards to say the least.

Im seeing these actually climbing in price despite huge supply out there.

The special box price is ludicrous considering you get just a mat and sleeves.

1 Like

umbreon tax :stuck_out_tongue: