You wished to challenge me. Very well, but I shall not lose.

Hello! Thanks for looking at my work in progress Erika collection.

Currently missing:
1x First Edition Erika’s Bulbusaur
1x First Edition Erika’s Ivysaur
1x First Edition Erika’s Clefable

In the meantime, enjoy the garden and stay tuned for updates. I am awaiting the secret rare and sleeping version of Vileplume GX in the post.

Below are links!

Bellsprout

Weepinbell

Oddish

Gloom

Tangela

Exeggcute

Clefairy

Dratini

Trainer

Erika

26 Likes

Good luck! I really like the vileplume GX :blush:

1 Like

Some nice new additions, thrilled about the centering on the Erika’s Kindness - best i’ve seen on a first ed so far! (okay, I grant you, it could be better… but a good starting point) and that nearly completes the lot.

I’ve a Venusaur in the post, and a secret rare GX.

Main outstanding cards are Holo Erika herself, a not horrendously centered Super Rare GX… the Erika’s Hospitalities… and the Clefable. When the Venusaur arrives, I look forward to doing a collection of them all together.

Once they’re all graded, I can look in earnest at what needs IMMEDIATE replacement and what can be slowly improved over time.

GARDENS GROWING

9 Likes

Salutations!

Well today’s an exciting day - the day where my pile of cards is transformed INTO A BINDER COLLECTION!

I was kind of nervous about which binder to store them in, and am super happy with the Vault X binder. Easy to place them in, placed horizontally not vertically and the double spread looks lovely. Anyway, I digress…

So front page dedicated to the Nature-loving princess herself! (and a cheeky gym heroes energy cos there was a space free…)

Missing - holo Erika herself, and reverse foil Erika’s hospitality / full art hospitality.

Then onto…

Okay… so what do I like… the 4x3 is really helpful here - as 2x oddish / 2x gloom. Trying to display neatly on a 3x3 would be a nightmare.

What’s to come…

Erika’s Clefable is the one missing. The bulbasaur and ivysaur need upgrading to first edition versions.

And finally… just because…

Next step, to fill the gaps and work out which if any deserve to go on holiday to Florida for 14-29 months.

Thx for reading :blush:

11 Likes

CONTENTS:

*The below links are spoilers, click to see contents.

[details=“shh”]

[/details]***[details=“POKEMON CHAMPIONS”]

[/details]**

shh

**[details=“GYM LEADERS”]

[/details]**

**[details=“NAMED TRAINERS”]

[/details]**

**[details=“UNNAMED TRAINERS”]

[/details]**

Hi there,

I’ve finally gotten around to starting this thread in earnest, super excited for this project.

The rules are:

1. I want every english pokemon card which features a trainer/person in the artwork. For example, Misty’s Staryu (gym heroes) doesn’t count as whilst it’s undeniably hers, she is not in the artwork. However, Misty’s tentacool (gym heroes) does count as she is in the artwork.
  2. I want to have where possible, a token trainer card by their pokemon. So for example, I may have Flannery from Chilling Reign next to her Torkoal from Cosmic Eclipse.
  3. Where possible, I’ll try and pick up holo/first edition/reverse holo versions.
  4. No restriction on which trainer to use, ideally, one that matches the art, I suppose, but no real preference on full art / same set, I guess it should be done on merits.

Firstly, having trawled through all the sets, this is my current list! Google link below, as I know viewing isn’t amazing.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11PeV5qylFfhI52Ew79ZlW-XB6vrfcfawOl8-4CS1wQ0/edit?usp=sharing

Since I’ve been started on this project, I’ve become a lot more attentive to spoilers as each new set that comes out, I’m scanning for trainer cameo’s.

I’ve allegedly managed to pre-order a Lance’s charizard for retail price, so over the moon over that!!!

For now, I’d like to start with some iconic characters that you may recognise…

Now, having gone through I am rather sad to say that the main card that hasn’t been printed in English that this set deserves, is a meowth card which has Jessie and James featured. This card does exist, but only in Japanese and currently my English only rule prevents this being eligible… Maybe, I’ll change my mind on this later.

However, I haven’t decided yet, which trainer card to use for Jessie/James or Giovanni.

Full art’s are always nice, but I think there’s an argument to be made for most of them. I haven’t actually checked which are available in english, I believe all of them… Fortunately/unfortunately the awesome briefcase limited edition giovanni with the persian was never printed in English, so I don’t have to remortgage the house!

If anyone has any votes on trainer choice, please let me know XD

I look forward to having more news shortly, in the meantime, I’m saving the penny’s for the rayquaza/Zinnia coming!

Much love,
Pentagon

21 Likes

Maybe I’m a sucker for nostalgia but hear me out:

My vote for Giovanni:

Speaks to the original game as the leader of the Viridian Gym and how much of a mob-boss he already looked. This card speaks to not only this fact but how you had to go through the entire sub-plot with Team Rocket to FIND OUT he was the Gym Leader (if you hadn’t seen the anime or movie of course). This card defines that entire journey.

Team Rocket:

Before Wobbufett, there was only Meowth and Koffing/Ekans. Meowth, Jessie, & James are the dynamic trio that make up their signature introductions (“Jessie” “James” “Meowth, that’s right!”). You have the classic Sugimori artwork, the original concept of Team Rocket colors, the ties to the anime, the Team Rocket “R” logo in the background, and the original group all in one.

Great resource! Thank you for putting this together!

2 Likes

I love this Dark Persian for Giovanni, but if you’re looking for a trainer card then I’d go with Giovanni’s Last Resort from Gym Challenge.

I really like the Hidden Fates full art, but I think this one is my favorite English Team Rocket Trainer.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Short update to say that the spreadsheet now has a tab of the trainers sorted by catagory, which will be how I come to display them in the binder. :blush: Some orders in the post, look forward to completing some of these catagories!

The controversial questions is does Misty hang out with her fellow Gym Leaders or in the rival / protagonist section… Same as Cheren…

Hi all,

Happy to give a little bit of progress on this:

I’ve decided to prioritise the gym leader section, so all characters who are gym leaders will be in the gym leader section. Misty will therefore not be in the Companion section. Equally, I have decided where possible, I will be using the Gym Leader Badge set as the token trainer card. As it’s the gym leader section, I hope this will go some way to bring them together. Equally, I think they bring a little of the nostalgia referenced in the original Trainer character cards of Gym Heroes.

Are the Kanto 8 the only ones that ever made it into English? Thinking of Torkoal / Flannery later.

I’m missing a Misty Lapras, but otherwise progress.

On Gym Leaders, I am missing:

Janine / Tentacool
Bea / Hitmontop
Torkoal / Flannery
Koffing / Roxie
Lt Surge / Magnamite
Clay / Excadrill
Jasmine / Steelix
Misty / Other Lapras
Raiham / Duraludon

Quick shout out to how much I like Cosmic Eclipse XD - and hope that one day we’ll have a cameo of atleast the first 8 Gym Leaders… (Haunter tickling Sabrina for example…)

In the meantime, I have an exciting order from Evolving Skies for next instalment.

Pentagon

11 Likes

As clumsily forecast last time:

DADA

7 Likes

Zinnia has such a cool story to her in the lore. And the Raquaza V is an absolute beauty from Evolving Skies. Call me weird, but you can almost hear and feel the wind just by looking at that card. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is a cool collection idea! I’ve been working on PSA 10 FA trainers and then recently expanded to also include PSA 10 cards where the trainer is a major part of it (like the Cosmic Eclipse secret rares, Rayquaza V alt art. etc). But I like your idea of going for cameos in general as well as pairing one of the trainer’s iconic Pokemon with them

hey @jdefense96 ,

Yeah, I’m still contemplating exactly how I want to do it, if I’m entirely honest.

Aside from being just an excuse to buy cards. But the trainers definitely are one of my favourite parts.

However, as I’ve been working on the gym leaders to display together, I must say it irritates me how I can’t have consistency. I resisted the temptation in the first instance to do FA trainers, as I didn’t want them to dominate the collection. However, I am moving towards all FA trainers with their pokemon, just because I think it would match as a unified collection better - some consistency. That said, lot pricier.

Hope that makes sense, is your collection in it’s own page yet?

PS; COSMIC ECLIPSE IS LIKE MY FAV SET EVA

@pentagon ,

Well you’ve got plenty of time to refine your goal (and display ideas), so no reason to rush it! The trainers are definitely my favorite part of it as well - not to say I don’t like the Pokemon too, but something about trainers scratches that collecting itch just right.

I hadn’t thought about consistency, but that’s true too - lots of variance in types of cards for trainers between FAs, reverse holo, holo, just a standard trainer card, etc. Wouldn’t be surprised if there were some trainers who just never got cards (I’m still hoping that the actual player characters from most games get cards eventually - Brendan, May, Dawn (an actual FA that isn’t the CE secret rare), Hilda, Serena, Selene, Gloria, etc). But yeah, I totally see where you’re coming from in terms of wanting some consistency across it!

I finally just finished making my collection page, and I posted it here if you wanted to look! My Collection Page

Also agreed! Cosmic Eclipse has been my favorite set by far since I started collecting cards again, but Evolving Skies is really good too with those amazing alt arts

www.pokebeach.com/2021/10/vmax-climax-officially-revealed-pokemon-with-trainers

It goes without saying… I am very very excited. Celebrations and this… OMG MY WALLET BUT THANK YOU POKEMON COMPANY FOR THESE GIFTS.

1 Like

Dear All,

So this collection has expanded and grown with new cards coming out. All very exciting.

I am looking to get some full art trainers to accompany their cameo versions, but these are not cheap cards. Certainly not in volume.

HOWEVER

As a way of justifying these purchases, I have decided to do it as a weekly reward scheme from the Bank of Pentagon to Pentagon, should Pentagon have kept to his weekly diet goals. I am lucky that for all my sins, I live a mostly healthy life style but diet has always plagued me. If I can, tracking my diet on fitnesspal etc. and I don’t have any appalling lapses, I will buy myself that weeks card…

18th October: Lillie
25th October: Cynthia
1st November: Red
8th November: Erika

Regular followers will be amazed that I don’t have a full art Erika’s Hospitality already… It’s a pricy card and one I really want in good nick, but if I can complete the month, I will be getting it!!

Others, Lillie to go with the new celebrations stuff, Cynthia just rocks and to go with her Garchomp and Red to get ready for the new vmax cameo :blush:

I very much look forward to posting the dietary weekly summary and a new shiny Lillie’s Full Force next week!!! Incidentally, chosen Monday’s as the reward day, as it’ll be nice to have a reason to look forward to Mondays :blush:

Stay safe / healthy all, thanks for reading

Pentagon

1 Like

Hey everyone,

Well Monday 18th has come and gone and I have kept to diet. However, I was unable to find a Lillie Full Force at a reasonable price. But I have picked up the below:

She’s tiny on the Garchomp art, but zoomed in, I was really impressed with the detail in her face.

And, she has a Champion friend!

Really happy with these characterful additions and have been motivated more because of it. Steven, Red and Lance to come :blush:

5 Likes

Cynthia on the Garchomp art is :ok_hand::ok_hand:

2 Likes

Hi all,

New champion addition… :blush:

*I’ve started adding a summary contents page at the top of the very first post :blush: *

4 Likes

This gives me a hankering for a complete database of all cameos by Pokemon.

1 Like