You get to make 1 wish for the Scarlet and Violet TCG era, what is it?

I hope they stop overprinting Charizard. The reason I dislike modern Charizards is because there’s so many different variants. Radiant, VStar, Shiny V, and Shiny VMax. And that’s without counting special promos like Special Delivery and Vivid Voltage Prerelease.

10 Likes

Pokémon likes money. Printing Charizard is printing money. Money keeps printers printing other cards. Other cards enter binder of EeveeTeam. EeveeTeam likes Pokémon. EeveeTeam donates money to Pokémon.

4 Likes

Well, so far the art style is a regression.

I think the card art for ‘hits’ being restricted to a rectangle where the Pokemon’s face is the only thing that can be seen is outdated. How boring can it get. CGI artists designing all of them again. The same Pokemon will be getting the hit treatment.

So, more Charizards and legendaries faces blown up peeking out of the box. Awful.

Hope they have some surprises up their sleeves like redesigning holos, reworking rarities and pull rates, getting rid of rainbows and integrating alternate arts as the only full art or something.

If they HAVE to continue Rainbow Rares please at least drop the awful, pointless Supporter full art rainbows.

Even most players that play with “flex” decks prefer the normal full arts over the rainbows as the unique colours allow you to identify them easier during a deck search.

Personally I really enjoyed the backgrounds and art style on the full art V Pokémon cards in SWSH. Kricketune, Sableye and Mew V are personal favourites. Hope they continue this style for full art Pokémon-ex.

I’m surprised there are people who like these. I collect vintage Japanese cards and like the style, but the silver/grey borders in my opinion look worse than the yellow ones.

1 Like

Make a non holo the chase card.

1 Like

I really like the wotc yellow and old Japanese yellow borders. Modern English is a bit too bright imo. I still enjoy it and honestly don’t care if the card border is either color, but a toned down yellow would work wonders.

2 Likes

1 each per set, a scarlet and violet rare. Think silver Dialga and gold Zekrom/Reshiram but a card coated in scarlet and another in violet color. Make them super hard to pull but since there’s only one per set, if you pull the scarlet or violet rare you’d be guaranteed the one you want. That way you won’t get the bad feeling of what it’s like pulling a gold item instead of the gold shiny Pokemon in modern sets. (or rainbow rare Gordie in Evolving Skies instead of the rainbow Eevee evolutions/Rayquaza…)

3 Likes

Wait there are people that like yellow borders?

They look so bad on so many cards. English trainer gallery is probably the worst offender.

1 Like

Same, kinda. I definitely prefer old yellow english and japanese to silver but silver isn’t bad either. It’s the modern washed out stuff that is the problem.

:joy:

MAKE REVERSE HOLOS GREAT AGAIN

4 Likes

No more rainbows and better pull rates

I take back my original wish for smaller sets. I am now selfishly wishing for a Meganium alt art illustrated by Sowsow.

4 Likes

There are too many options to narrow it down to a single wish. If I could have a single wish I guess it would have to be Oddish EX, my beloved :sob:

I have two wishes:

1. Cosmos holo pattern;
  2. Increase the prestige and rarity of non-V, VSTAR, VMAX, GX, EX, LV. X, SSJ GOKU, ULTRA, MEGA, SUPER, TERA, GIGA, BILLION, TRILLION, IT’S OVER 9000 holos like the good gen 3 EX era.
1 Like

Keep special arts/alternate arts.

Some great ideas floating around, and I will add a personal gripe that I hope they fix. Sets feel uninspired/lacking in identity. Yes, even Japanese sets tend to have their common denominator in either Pokémon type, or set gimmick. I wish for sets to have a stronger identity, mainly throughout their artworks, similar to something like Sandstorm/The Town on No Map (or a weaker, more recent example, Battle Region/Chilling Reign).

I’ve been thinking about set cohesion a lot, and Pokémon as a whole just lacks good ways to make a set feel unique. The artwork is probably the best way to tie a set together, alternatively the Rocket sets have cohesion through the ‘Dark’ prefix. But you cannot replicate this a hundred times with different themes. The Gym sets went for something similar but it doesn’t work because the artworks dont convey the theme of gymleader’s Pokémon. Eevee Heroes is another outlier, where the set was centered around a species. This can really only be done with Eevee though, since no other Pokémon has such a broad evolution tree.

Let’s compare to MtG sets, set cohesion is achieved by:

• Card names
  • Card artwork, and their connections to other cards
  • Flavour tekst
  • Lore/story
  • Set gimmicks

Card names really only change in Pokémon for item cards or through pre- and suffixes. So that doesn’t help.
Flavour tekst is so dull I had to look up if it still is on modern Pokémon cards (yes it is).
We don’t have any story driven sets, and I doubt Pokémon would ever develop a deep enough story element to do so, it’s a kids game after all.
Most of us only collect Pokémon so its safe to say we don’t really care for the set gimmicks. A stamp on a card doesn’t do much for me in tying a set together. Functionally in the game it could, but not for collectors. Even moreso it seems like a cheap way to get players to recognize that these cards belong together.

TL;DR: So I hope for a stronger emphasis on set cohesion.

1 Like

The Pokemon Company: instructions unclear, so we’ll be adding

• platinum rares, which are just like gold rares but with a platinum sparkle;
  • in addition to rainbow rares, monochrome rares in every color of the rainbow; and
  • alt art shinies, in which 1 out of every 4,096 alt arts has exactly the same art, but depicts a
    shiny instead.
4 Likes

For the love of god no more rainbow rares

3 Likes