Xuzu's Pokedex Project - First double page complete!

So in time with the new year, I’m going to be starting a new project.

The project is to collect every Pokemon in the Kanto & Johto Pokedex (1-251) to go in a binder.

• All cards are Japanese
  • One card per Pokemon
  • Cards chosen on best artwork available, also taking into account overall look of card and how well the Pokemon is represented.

Where I need your help, is for Pokemon that I don’t have a card selection in mind. (or even if you think there is a much better option than the card I’ve chosen). For now I/we’ll be doing it in batches of 20, then moving on once one batch is selected.

As far as sets go, I think I would prefer to keep it old school as much as possible to give some more uniform to the set, but I’m open to suggestion.

To see what I have or haven’t chosen yet, SEE POST #2 in the thread for pictures and checklist.

I welcome and greatly appreciate ALL suggestions (within the current batch), please don’t be shy! Between us all is the knowledge of every card in existence, if not 99.9%. Once I’ve chosen all 251 I will then make a thread in the buy/trade section to hopefully score a few from you guys!

Thanks!

3 Likes

A picture means the card has been chosen (feel free to suggest improvements). A black box means it’s still very open to suggestion.

#1-20

SPOILER: Click to show

#21-40

#41-60

#61-80

Blastoise (Squirtle Half Deck / CD Promo) - I’d go with all the CD promos over the base set ones actually, but that’s my personal preference

Metapod (Base Set)

Butterfree (Neo 2)

Weedle/Kakuna - Vending Series
Beedrill (Neo 2)

Pidgey/Pidgeotto - Base Set
Pidgeot - Jungle

Rattata - Vending Series
Raticate - Southern Islands

4 Likes

Blastoise cd promo

Metapod fire red

Butterfree southern island or neo

Weedle gym or fire red

Kakuna gym

Beedrill base

Pidgey koga’s #80

Pidgeotto base

Pidgeot pop series meiji promo

Rattata. Gym lt surges

Raticate base

1 Like

Or go full picture ken sugimori only, see meiji promos for example

1 Like

Pidgey: GC Koga’s Pidgey ( common )
Pidgeotto: GC Koga’s Pidgeotto
Pidgeot: FRLG Pidgeot

2 Likes

Can’t decide between Jungle non-holo Butterfree and Neo 2 Holo version

[SPOILER: Click to show](javascript:void(0):wink:

Both work well with the other choices

1 Like

Going with the Neo Butterfree and base metapod.

Need to decide between these two Kakuna’s.

I’d go with holos as much as possible. It’ll really make the set/collection pop more.

3 Likes

I’d pick the first one over the second one any day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool project!

2 Likes

That is what I did for my 151 File.

I think you’re right. I was initially liking the Neo one just in comparison to the English version but the top one is nice.

RE Holo’s, I think I will look to them with a slight favour, but the general artwork is important to me in this set so it wont give too much advantage.

@shizzlemetimbers, I really like that Blastoise a lot, but I’m not sure if e-series cards will look too out of place or not?

Its a great goal. Ive had this same goal for years but here’s my twist on it. I’m going for psa 10 ex series holos and rev holos in psa 10. I’m trying to get as many of them FRLG/hidden legends because of the rev holo. The C/UC don’t have the set name on their rev holo and have the energy symbol rev holo pattern.

1 Like

It is definitely a great goal, completing this is going to be fun. Especially if you’re going with WOTC cards only.

@xuzu If I were to do this (tempted) I would do favourite artwork over theme as it will turn into a more personal/unique pokedex.

I would do all Ken Sugimori artwork.

1 Like

I know what you mean, seems like there’s definitely enough variants for me to make a cool and satisfying Pokedex out of though, mixing plenty of cards that usually never see each other.

1 Like

Fuck it, looks like im adding pages to my Kanto file for 100 Johto Pokémon. Thanks alot @xuzu

2 Likes