Worlds 2023 Duolingo progress

Less than a year till world’s in Yokohama!

Anyone else download the app to get fluent before then? :blush:

11 Likes

Good idea! I don’t think I’ll be fluent by then but hopefully enough so to get from A to B :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

Aim high :rocket::stars: lol

The app has a follow function to hold people accountable. Additionally there is a “family plan” where multiple people can share a paid subscription

I find the app is really helpful. I got nearly the entire ひらがな character system down in one day :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

I started studying japanese about 4 years ago. Worlds would be a perfect excuse to finally go there. Would just have to get over the fear of flying. :laughing:

1 Like

Duolingo is a great app, but I would temper your expectations. I’ve found that it only goes so far if you don’t have a native speaker to interact with in real time. :melting_face:

3 Likes

That’s step 2 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great plan! :smiley:

That, and some of its instruction is… questionable, especially for Japanese. I like it for practicing my kanji and reading comprehension (the curse of frequently speaking but rarely reading a language), but sometimes the sentence structure sounds off or awkward.

The Genki workbooks are a really great resource in conjunction with apps like Duolingo for learning Japanese, and I think they help clarify the language quite a bit. (Especially if finding a friend to speak with is difficult)

I’ve never attempted to learn Japanese, but I imagine finding a good app to learn kanji is half the battle.

1 Like

Doing my best here!

4 Likes

Easy way to remember- they follow the same shape as the hiragana :slight_smile: same with “so” and “n” once you get there too!

1 Like

LOVE THIS. Love language learning. Sometimes polyglots will learn another language using books or guides in another of their known languages, maybe I’ll have to pick up a Learn Japanese book in one of my category one languages haha. I just wanted to show language books from other languages.

Japanese, category 4, here it goes! (Nah but in all honesty it’ll be fun to get basics or phrases down :stuck_out_tongue: like others are practicing. Language learning is a long road though, don’t set unrealistic expectations! And keep it fun! :smiley:

If you want a basic feel for how Japanese works then an app is going to be okay. But fluency is a 5 year + commitment with a lot a grindy vocabulary/kanji study, review, and immersion. However, just for basics like ordering food in a traveller-friendly restaurant then you’ll probably be okay with an app.

1 Like

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone try using genki 1 and genki 2?

Or have any good recommendations for anki cards?

1 Like

“Remembering the Kanji” is a good intro book into learning Kanji.

For my first 6 months or so the resources i used were: Wanikani for kanji. Not the fastest way to learn,but I like it. Makes it a bit more fun. Lots of scripts available to customize it as well. https://www.wanikani.com/

Japanese from zero’s youtube channel. Mostly this playlist. Great videos, funny guy. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOcym2c7xnBwU12Flkm5RcLIEhvURQ8TB

For vocab I used wanikani, memrise, genki 1 and 2 and maybe some anki decks but its been so long that i dont remember which ones.

Anyone want to be friends and keep each other accountable? My username is Will236997

1 Like

Unit 3 started :sunglasses:

5 Likes

How’s everyone’s studying going? I fell off my streak and didn’t touch the app for a few months. I just recently picked it up again as I’m getting really excited for this summer :jp:

1 Like