Will Pokemon outgrow Magic ?

Only time will tell. IMO, I think Pokemon will outgrow MTG. The sheer popularity of the franchise blows MTG out of the water.

1 Like

@dblast , Yes absolutely. At a fundamental level over the next 20 years, MTG is still strong but longer than that and I see cracks starting to form. The problem is if you don’t have a younger generation pumping money into the hobby then overtime the community just turns into people predominately selling their collections off. Same thing happened to stamp collections. People died, rare stamps hit the market, demand was weak so prices declined. More selling than buying.

That’s why I put so much focus on trying to understand what young people are doing because the young people are the future of everything.

The decline of every hobby always begins with the young people not being interested. Pez dispensers and mechanical banks were also red hot markets but the reality is that young people weren’t interested in it so the price of those items plummeted.

When I look at pokemon TCG, what I see is a hobby that is growing. Social media apps like instaflex are a major driver of growth as well as platforms like youtube. The popularity of youtubers like leonhart, unlistedleaf with kid focused content is a significant sign of future growth.

1 Like

I would have to agree very much with this take. I am no expert on either Pokemon or MTG. To measure success, it depends on what your criteria and metrics are. I think when Pokemon will have “surpassed” MTG will be when that PSA 10 1st edition Charizard finally surpasses a BGS quad 9.5 Alpha Lotus in a sale/auction. That’s more of a perception metric, but it’s one that holds a lot of weight for most people I think. If that is true, I would imagine our zard will have to hit something like 200-500k.

Wait Pokemon hasn’t already outgrown Magic?

Okay, another thought was that card shop or card collectors may hold graded cards as investments.

MTG has a lot of graded cards investors, and some of the magic cards have reached very high prices.

Pokemon has recently gained a lot more traction in the graded cards department. I would even assume that hobby shops are storing more Pokemon Cards (graded and raw) as investments, compared to magic cards. Again, I don’t know much about Magic cards, but have seen more members in the forum hobby switch from MTG.

I think Pokemon may have outgrown magic overall, but considering the values of graded cards and collectible graded cards market share, maybe less, overall…

@hyruleguardian , to better focus the conversation: Do you see Pokemon graded cards, overall, as having more value storage then Magic Cards? There are illustrators and Black Lotus that are pushing crazy prices, but I’d like to see the 1st Ed. Charizard or something within the english markets reach levels of Magic Cards.

It may be due to my lack of understanding for magic cards market, ie. there are other reasons why black lotus and print runs cause the high dollar value, psacard shows having less then a dozen psa 10s for the black lotuses, but Google shows there’s 1,100 alpha black lotus

There are only 120 PSA 10 graded PSA charizard 1st edition. I’m not sure how many 1st edition Charizards were printed, but there are 2,387 in the PSAcard pops. Either way, the wotc 1st ed. shows very limited card production as well. And given the overall interest in Pokemon as a whole, I think it’s a good amount and comparable.

@pikachuisbestpokemon, lmao, instaflex.