Who Makes The First Offer?

Many people think the “other” person should ALWAYS make the first move lol.
Who should make the first price/trade offer on a deal.

1. The one who initiates the deal makes the first offer!
  2. The buyer makes the first offer?
    3 The seller makes the first offer?
  3. Something else?

2 Likes

The weaker person makes the first offer, always.

1 Like

Deals don’t happen in a vacuum. Someone has to initially decide if they want an item OR decides they want to sell an item. This person wants something and they need someone else to fulfill that want. In general this person who wants something should make the first move.

3 Likes

The one who initiates the deal.

1 Like

If you’re scared to make the first offer you are the weaker person. Most negotiations will have some back and forth.
Start high and work toward the middle. That’s how deals get done.

BTW @garyis2000 have you not asked this exact question in a previous thread?

3 Likes

I think whoever iniated the deal should make the first offer

1 Like

Whoever wants it more will typically just make the first offer, arbitrary or not, first.

I think it depends on the item and the relationship between the two parties

Common items pretty much have their price set for them. Very exclusive stuff might not even be for sale to begin with, and an offer is the only thing that can get a discussion started

Many don’t realize that a BIN OBO listing is the first offer. Sure, some are priced so far out of reality that you can’t really consider it a real offer and the buyer may be making the first offer in some instances, but generally the one who wants something makes the first offer. I want to sell a house? I make an offer (list price) and advertise it. If you want it then you can come in an counter my initial offer. If I don’t have my house/car/Pokemon card listed for sale and you want it? Well then surely I’d be expecting you to make the initial offer since you are the one prompting the conversation and potential transaction.

People who think in absolute terms the one to make the first offer is the loser are generally not good negotiators at all. I’ve known many people to miss out on job opportunities or purchases because they were so afraid to throw out a number that was too high or too low that they missed their shot all together.

7 Likes

The one who initiates the deal imho.

1 Like

2 Likes

Depends on the card and situation. If it has an established price I don’t care. If it doesn’t appear often I prefer to let the buyer establish the first offer and go from there.

3 Likes

if the seller is putting the card up for sale they make the 1st offer by putting an initial price.
if someone wants something and its not for “for sale” they make an offer.

3 Likes

Negotiations may occur as always. Only asking the protocol for “first offer/setting first price.

I agree the list is the first offer.
As an aside, where I’ve fallen out of potential deals with others is I am very firm that I get to decide who to give my money to–even moreso than I am firm about a line in the price to buy or sell. I may not take a “great” deal at all from someone I don’t respect, and I have surely overpaid for items to people I do respect, or who I feel good about giving my money to. I’ve also absolutely backed out of deals over a miniscule amount of money when the seller is trying to squeeze me for nickels. Get as much as you can, by all means, but rule me out of your buyer pool. I’d rather pay someone I like.

I am an admittedly horrible business person in these respects. Somehow I manage anyway.

3 Likes

The listing is the first offer.

3 Likes

Depends, of course

Anyone selling anything should have a price or at least rough price of how much they would sell whatever item for. Now if it’s something you have no intention on originally selling and you don’t have it listed on eBay and you stumble across a random buyer than sure let them make the first offer. But at the same time with the price being a ? It’s hard to make a realistic offer that isn’t a laughable low ball. Sure you can look up sold listings but it depends how rare a item is or if the buyer wants whatever item but also wants the best possible deal. It’s usually easier if a item is let’s say $1000 or best offer and maybe you offer $900 as a buyer. Or $950 whatever. Or your $100 item or best offer send a offer of $75-$85. It depends who wants to sell or buy the item more. But at the same time when we make the price a question mark to begin with it becomes kind of a nightmare. Or you get the random peanut gallery like o no that card is worth much more. Or what do you mean no scratches. And random comments that have nothing to do with them actually having the card. So it just depends but at the end of the day making a price is the best idea. Either your price is firm or you accept offers either way makes things easier. When simply waiting for a buyer to offer first it’s like hoping someone won’t know the value and offer $10000 on a $6000 item or $150 on a $80 item whatever the case may be. Maybe sometimes it works well but setting a price whether firm or with offers is generally best in my opinion at least. And again don’t mind little old Pikachu I just like to buy cards and random items myself :slight_smile: also very experienced selling almost anything besides Pokemon cards. Because I value my collection more than any buyer would pay so I’ll have to wait decades before that might change :slight_smile:

So all sellers on Ebay are weak persons?

I would say, the asking/listing price is the first offer. So the seller does it.
It’s the price a seller would like to get for the item. If he’s open for an offer, the listing price is not the lowest possible.

Sadly, many people out for a deal and not to make an offer. And they will give an offer of 50% of the listed price. In which the buyer isn’t really making the effort to make a deal.

1 Like