Which is the ACTUAL rarest Pokémon card out there?

I’m convinced it is the Pikachu Illustrator.

But I am also convinced I could be wrong.

Anybody have a definitive answer?

2 Likes

I believe there were 39 Illustrators so others are rarer.

2 Likes

How does the prerelease raichu rate?

10 Likes

Hahahahaha

1 Like

Supposedly in the 9-12 range. If you believe they exist.

I think there are distributor promos from Chicago or something that were 6 of each in the world? Piplup and those guys? Those were stamped promos I think though, not completely unique cards.

@canman202020 has the set on eBay

2 Likes

It is an interesting concept to think about which card had the lowest DOCUMENTED count

1 Like

There’s some Japanese Trophy cards that have one of each. If you exclude them and single print card, I believe the '97 Trophies would be next on the list.

3 Likes

If you mean distribution, and the most literal sense of the word “rare”, then probably the Female Battle Road Trophy Card, which was awarded to the only female winner. Here is a thread from a few years ago with the tournament information.

The 1997 Pikachu Trophy cards are extremely rare as well. There were 4 copies of each awarded.

Typically the word “rare” is not always used in the literal sense. It is commonly used in relation to the overall demand of a card. This is true in all hobbies. Here is a list of baseball cards rarer than the T206 Honus Wagner, but are nowhere near the value. Even when you search “rarest baseball cards” the term that you see more frequently will be “most valuable”, as that encompasses rarity, history; overall demand.

A great example of this in pokemon are those distribution promo cards. They have an estimated 6-12 copies, but are common illustrations, the only rarity factor is the stamp. They are almost as rare as the 1997 pikachu trophy cards, but realize a fraction of the price.

Oh and The PreRelease Raichu has a minimum of 12 copies. This is information that will most likely never be properly confirmed with documentation. As time goes on the amount of reliable sources are less involved and/or inclined to share.

7 Likes

Well put, articulate, and accurate per usual…EXCEPT, there is no such thing as a wotc produced Prerelease Raichu. And if there were 12, or even one, don’t you think we would have seen one hit the market?
Now could there be some faked aftermarket? Wouldn’t be hard to get cheap Raichus and add a simple stamp to it. Considering some can counterfeit currency this would be a cinch.
So I guess what I’m trying to say, you’d have to be on drugs to pay 10s of thousands of dollars for one.)

4 Likes

Ahh jeeze,

I’ve turned the “what is the rarest card thread” into “is the prerelease raichu real thread”.

Forget I ever said it!

6 Likes

LOL

3 Likes

I HAVE TO GET THOSE DAM 1997 PIKAZ!!! MUAHAHHAHA

If were going to talk about rarity of condition wise in mint… It would be the following in order No rarity, Old school ex japanese, and shinings… But then again shinings are more of a centering issue, not so much the condition, were is old school ex is a condition issue and on 1 OF THE SETS, a maassive centering issue/condition issue, but no rarity is literally a centering and a condition issue… emeergeerd what am i to do, I will complete these dam sets, and ill pick up them freakin pika trophies and get them in mint 8 or above condition. Still Id accept a psa 7 opf 1997 pikaz… I think there probably my second favourite artwork in world after base set, there is nothing like them… The fat bronze pika is my favz.

Still Im going to probably wind up getting the 1998 pikaz, because those will be possible to score a gem mint 10 or mint 9 on… the 1997 are just to rare.

If you dont help me get those pikaz @smpratte there will be implications. :ninja:

1 Like

Soo is the Pre release Raichu real or not? @smpratte says there is at least 12 and @garyis2000 says it is a nonsense card.

Cant you do the same to Shadowless Charizards though?

Yes it is real. I will see the copy that was in the original pokegym article this summer.

5 Likes

Excellent!

Shush! Don’t do go down that road… It’s dangerous down there

5 Likes

Photos allowed? I recall you mentioning it several months ago, but is it a quick peek for your eyes only or are you going to be able to (fairly) extensively document it and return with undeniable proof to the forum and the Pokemon world of their existence?

FYEO will be frustrating and not really serve to make everyone believers. I don’t fall in either camp, but I am definitely intrigued.

2 Likes

Wow @smpratte you hit the nail on my question.

I knew I was overlooking something, it was this Female Battle Road Trophy card. Just one? Seriously?

This is exactly what I’m talking about, some cards are labeled ‘rare’ because of a 10 grade they might have received. But what most people (sellers) fail to remember is that the card was mass produced. Few may remain of certain cards, making it rare indeed. You can not forget though, that some cards, such as the Female Battle Road Trophy card, was rare to BEGIN with.

Same goes for the 1997 Pikachu place set trophies. Only 4 of each to begin with.

As a genuine collector I choose to not get the word ‘rare’ mixed up. Do you guys think it would be a good idea, for this 20th anniversary year, to revisit the ‘who is the rarest’ article and give it an update? :grin: @japanime

3 Likes