When will the SM era end. What do you want to see next era

1st edition run, with a mechanism to prevent distributor from hoarding them.
Real secret rare card ratio.
No more of this super rare, ultra rare, hyper rare BS. Not a fan of having 3 variations of the same card.
Not allowed to be sold at big box stores that do not host any leagues/tournaments.

I like it, it would be the modern e-series.

1 Like

I think it would be fun to see a hobby box version. These boxes would be more expensive, but they would include inserts such as special foiling, autographs, alternate artwork, or maybe even concept art or rough sketches made by different artists.

1 Like

Back in the days, YGO will have hobby store version vs big box retail store version. The difference is the secret rare you can get. And if I remember correctly the hobby box contains 24 packs while the retail stores contain 36 packs per box and checkout lane blisters. It was a neat idea. Glad you brought it up.

So, let me get this right.

Your solution to endless amounts of packs being opened are to introduce cards that require even more pack openings?

Modern cards arenā€™t retaining value because they are being opened en masse and because the style of them isnā€™t very exciting or alluring. Being upset that the pop report is high is disingenuous too, thatā€™s likely the result of quality increase.

1:8000 packs (1:37 cases) is just straight up ridiculous. A more suitable figure would be 1:2 or 1:3 boxes. Given that there will be 80-150 of them per set, that still require cracking 26-75 cases for a realistic chance of pulling them all.

We need to tackle the real issue, cards that collectors want that are unique, have hand drawn art and have allure to them (which is where the rarity ties in).

How about they get rid of each set having more and more hyper rares ! 2 max per set would give people more of a chase to hunt the 2 elusive hypers!

? ? ? Honestly dude, youā€™re probably an alright guy but in the majority of posts youā€™ve directed at me since Iā€™ve been here, I canā€™t help but think youā€™ve got a huge stick up your ass or something.
So how about I help you get it right.
I didnā€™t offer a solution to anything. The thread is about what we would personally like to see in the next era. I thought about it for 4 seconds, and provided a idea I thought would be interesting.
I donā€™t care how many packs are being produced. I donā€™t particularly care about the long-term value of the Sun & Moon era. In fact, the amount of product being produced and consumed indicates to me that people continue to have genuine interest in Pokemon cards nearly 20 years after their initial debut. Iā€™d much rather have S&M be worthless because too much product was sold rather than due to a lack of interest. So a gimmick that sells even more packs would be a positive thing in my opinion. But this point is irrelevant to my first two posts.

Your next point is that cards arenā€™t retaining value because somehow the cards are not ā€œexcitingā€ or ā€œalluringā€ while simultaneously being opened ā€œen massā€. You can have your own opinion on the style of the cards, but clearly thereā€™s a massive group of people who are content with the product and continue to buy it. Perhaps you arenā€™t the intended demographic.
The pop is high because there are tons of new (i.e. returning) adult collectors opening new product and looking for things to grade. Iā€™m not ā€œupsetā€ at this. I just like the idea of being able to grade a desirable modern card and not having it be pop 300. Please forgive me.

The 1:8000 odds comes from the shiny encounter rate in the game (1:8192). 1:8000 packs might indeed be a bit too rare. When I give it more than 4 seconds of thought, Iā€™d probably revise it to 1:8192 cards rather than packs. Additionally, if this gimmick was applied across multiple sets, Iā€™d probably restrict this to only a handful of pokemon per set as to not recreate the saturation of ā€œ1 of 1sā€ seen in modern sports.
But yeah, just a reminder I donā€™t actually work for Nintendo. So even if I said there should be an Uber rare in 1:six trillion packs who the hell cares. Iā€™m just some guy with an inconsequential opinion. Finally, please donā€™t assume we all agree on what the ā€œreal issueā€ is.

3 Likes

If I direct a post at you that makes you think anything about ā€œmy assā€, then maybe you have the problem?

Pull your head in champ, not everything you say is gospel, as highlighted in this thread, you clearly have some very interesting ideas about what collectors want. The proof is in how you fail to connect what Iā€™ve replied to in your initial post. Itā€™s like youā€™ve actually forgotten what youā€™ve said and have just gone straight on the attack, grow up.

I must ask, in a serious question: what does it matter if the card you like because of what it is has a pop of 300? Is it just the money factor youā€™re after???

Are we even involved in the same conversation? What are you talking about? Can you read the title of the thread and my responses? I have only shared my own opinion here and never did I claim it to be the absolute truth or gospel. Where did I say I was speaking on behalf of other people, let alone all collectors?? Pay attention, youā€™re the one that initially came in to tell me my opinion was wrong and proceeded to tell me what collectors really want and the real issues in the hobby. You came from nowhere to tell my my idea is ridiculous and my opinions are disingenuous. But of course when I finally decide to show a little spine and to call out your ideas as you have done to mine, Iā€™m the one that has ā€œgone straight on the attackā€ and needs to grow up.

If you project any harder I might actually vomit.

Youā€™re the only one who has shown concern over the future value of S&M products. Why collect charizards over caterpies? Why do people like trophy cards? Because youā€™ve acquired something that people really desire and typically donā€™t own. That satisfaction in achieving something hard to achieve is one of the big reasons I collect.

Actually, you were the one who started talking about money lol you must have an incredibly short memory or canā€™t even be bothered to read the ā€œvomitā€ you spew.

In fact, you said the S&M era is all about jobless kids right? You specifically pointed out how worthless the cards are to you.

How many times do people have to be told that modern cards arenā€™t a chase?

I never once said you opinion was wrong either, just that it was flat out ridiculous and it is.

You speak in such flamboyancy that itā€™s hard to actually believe anything you write. Itā€™s like there is nothing that can be mildly grey in your black and white world?

I want to remind you, you havenā€™t called out any of my ideas, all youā€™ve done is overreacted to someone calling out a really shitty idea. Cut the drama mate, this forum is for adults.

It seems that all of your arguments just boil down to misrepresentation. Iā€™m kind of getting tired defending myself here. Please reread my initial claim: ā€œYouā€™re the only one who has shown concern over the future value of S&M products.ā€ This statement is true. In my second post I was talking about present value of the cards. What I was trying to convey is that when I can just straight up buy the best card from the set at the cost of 3 packs, thereā€™s no desire on my part to buy packs. A jobless kid may not have the disposable income to straight up buy a rainbow rare, so they will gain a lot more from buying packs than I would. I donā€™t care about the value of the cards. I enjoy opening packs but when itā€™s virtually a guaranteed loss, Iā€™m more reluctant to buy them. Please stop trying to portray me as money-hungry.

Yeah but they could be. Hence my original post here. If I havenā€™t made it clear yet, thatā€™s essentially the one thing I would change. And due to the fact you claim to have to remind people all the time, it sounds like other collectors would appreciate that too.

:confounded:

Iā€™m not even going to acknowledge the rest of your post or anything after this point. Please feel free to tell me more about how I need to grow up and be an adult like you. Glad to see I was right about that stick.

I can tell you where to shove that stick mate, but it sounds to me like you already have a toy for that :wink:

You started on values mate, you are talking about money. If you read my post, what I desire is something fresh and different. I donā€™t want to collect essentially the same card design for every chase card and we both agree on that point. But not the extent that it is essentially our of reach for a normal collector. 1:8000 is just so unfathomable they may as well not even exist.

Iā€™m not going around telling people modern product sucks either, Iā€™ll leave that to people who have a YT audience, Iā€™m just echoing their points and they are right.

If you want to chase elusive items, go buy old product, that way you can feel satisfied you paid a premium for an item because it seriously seems like the $ is more important to you than anything else. Thatā€™s just my opinion though.

One point, to prove how moot your point is; if Rainbow Rares are practically worthless and only worth a few packs, and jobless kids only buy a few packs, and buying a few packs would be a guaranteed loss, why wouldnā€™t they just do what you do (clearly an elite collector, bow down) and just straight up buy the Rainbow? See my point clown?

Jerry jerry jerry

3 Likes

3 Likes

Full migration to the PTCG Online platform.

Putting a random PSA card in every box that reflects the odds of the set may be interesting. It might even create new collectors. I actually pitched this idea to PSA, as a tin insert but one per sealed box would be fun. Kinda like a box topper.

A partnership between Pokemon and PSA would be a conflict of interest, wouldnā€™t it?

2 Likes

I want them to stop separating Trios.

9 Likes

Itā€™s already happened with sports cards. Thereā€™s a product called Encased where you get 2 BGS graded cards in every box.

And I agree with PFM to an extent. Exclusivity implemented at some level with modern product would be a welcome change. Maybe make something drop every 1-3 cases with and number them to 10,000-5,000 copies.

This indeed! I donā€™t mind seeing more variation in the artwork style, and loads of other things mentioned in this thread I agree as well, but this is indeed a great point by @missingno!
I wouldnā€™t mind that much if they released them in subsequent sets, but for some trios they donā€™t release some PokĆ©mon at all, or a few years laterā€¦ Legendary trios, starter evolution lines, and Eeveelutions should all be part of the same set imo.

Greetz,
Quuador