What is the draw to gray stamps?

Hey guys just curious as to what the draw to a gray stamp 1st edition card is? Are they more valuable or is it just another variation/error to out into your set?

The average Joe doesnā€™t care about them, theyā€™re much rarer than the standard stamps, and will often bring a premium when correctly listed, but generally arenā€™t quick sellers

4 Likes

For me:

Itā€™s one of those things that I love base set & original WOTC Pokemon cards. Itā€™s the ā€œGotta catch em allā€ mentality. Rather than collected duplicates over & over itā€™s another variation of the same set. Most people could care less, but for me itā€™s another layer to the collection.

7 Likes

Ok I gotcha, reason I ask is I was at Dave and Adams the other day looking for sun and moon singles for my binder, the clerk and I got to talking and turned out he had some psa cards that they had just gotten in so he went to go look couldnā€™t find them then called his manager to see where they were so after about 30 minutes he finally finds them and when I go through them I didnā€™t find much of interest to me most were actually pretty bad grades there was a couple of psa 2 cards in there lol but because he went so far out of his way to find them for me I ended up taking a psa 8 1st edition shadowless nidoran for 5 bucks

ā€œ@gemmintpokemonā€ Very well said!!

As for me I consider them part of the 1st edition base in general, for economic reasons I close my eyes to the color gradient in the stamp as I do for the thick and thin variants.

2 Likes

Ya know Iā€™m glad you replied because after getting home and thinking about it that afternoon I remembered watching your base set booster box opening you did not long going ago and remember hearing you rather pleased finding a couple of gray stamps. Yet another reason why I asked my question, with your reaction I figured there had to be a monetary or collectible ā€œrewardā€ behind them.

1 Like

Lol you answered my next question for me ! I was gonna say so you can basically say the same thing for the thick and thin stamps! Thanks for The input!

1 Like

Itā€™s one of those variants that requires a certain type of buyer. You have to be pretty invested and knowledgeable about the hobby to really want these.

3 Likes

Most has already been said:

• The beginning collector doesnā€™t even know different versions exists regarding grey vs black; thick vs thin; Ā©1999 vs Ā©1999-2000.
  • The average collector does know about these differences, but couldnā€™t care less. Or for financial reasons chooses to not care.
  • The high-end collectors (or those that go to the real nitty-picky - like me :grin: ) think these differences are awesome, and a great part of why I like collecting so much. Every now and then we come across a new variant we didnā€™t knew about before - even though some of these cards were released over 15 year ago. Cards like the Ā©1999/Ā©1999-2000 differences for the Spanish cards; the Ā©1999-2000 Australian Fossil cards; the Glossy-Back Australian Jungle cards; the Thin stamps; etc. etc. I personally love to learn about all these differences, and even more so to add them all to my collections.

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved errors and have a pretty nice baseball error collection so it was natural Iā€™d pay attention to variances with these cards. The grey stamps fit the mold for me. Theyā€™re very rare, rising in value, hard to find in mint condition, and not a ton of collectors look for them which makes it possible to accumulate.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it!

My perspective is that I collect ā€˜thin stampsā€™ over 'thick. A grey stamp means nothing to me and Iā€™d probably choose a thin stamp over a grey if both were PSA 10 and the same price. That said, the point it does become cool to me, is if I, or anyone were to make a complete grey stamp set. Itā€™s the rare collection of the rare collectable and that makes it a fun objective to me, but my collection would have to be pretty complete before I got around to that one.

4 Likes

Grey stamp is getting into crazy pedantic people territory.

Itā€™s just ink which was running low on the printerā€¦ thatā€™s the obsession and reality of what it is.

But ey, money to be made, something different, something ā€˜rareā€™, itā€™s obscure, itā€™s an errorā€¦ itā€™s more money in the bank, so people will collect and cash in on it.

I personally am not adding it to my complete base set collection yet. Maybe down the lineā€¦ who knows.

1 Like

Better get them now before they dry up like the ink in the stamp lol.

Keep selling it mate. You know how to drive a product up :wink:

2 Likes

Last year I was offering minimum of $250USD for any condition grey stamp Gyarados, I managed to locate the PSA 9 copy my offer was $1100AUD which was around 30% over PSA 10 prices at the time, but it was already gone at that point the buyer paid around $900AUD. I have since abandoned actively looking lol.

As for why, it is the only card I need to complete my English Gyarados collection

1 Like

Iā€™m not selling mine though. I have 4 or 5 listed but my collection consists of over 500 lol.

1 Like