What is happening with Chilling Reign?

Chilling Reign is at $125 per booster box on TCGPlayer after sitting at ≤$90 for many, many months. Most eBay sellers are within $5 or $10 of these TCGPlayer prices.

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 3.24.12 PM

If you watch Rudy or Card 'N All Gaming, you know how impossible this product was to sell for months on end. So what has changed?

My guess is that numerous Influences/YouTubers/Redditors highlighted the set as undervalued for its age/print status, and this led to a wave of ultramodern “investors” purchasing up the boxes/cases.

8 Likes

Or people have finally come around on the amazing cards in the set. Only issue with the set is the horrible pull rates, Chilling Pain indeed.

10 Likes

I think your guess is likely correct - however I think it’s justified. I love Chilling, however it is infact pain.

13 alt arts. 3 “waifu” if you value that genre so-to-speak. Shiny Snorlax.

I also see a lot of discussion around the possibility that alt-arts won’t return, and this fear will only drive sealed sales for everything in SWSH.

2 Likes

I stopped collecting English about a year ago because I didn’t like the fact that Pokémon would mash up so many sets together into one.

(Not hating for those that fancy English, just doesn’t align with my personal goals anymore)

When this set came out; I looked at the list and saw all of the AA that were leftover from previous Japanese releases and they just hadn’t picked a set to choose from to release in the English counterpart.

You can’t ignore there are some great hits and can be considered a great set, but the pull rates were horrible. This can be said for a lot of the SWSH era in English.

Can’t tell you show many checklane blisters I bought at Target just for the hell of it to get nothing

So in other words; nothing surprises me with modern, not surprised it’s going up since collectors maybe focused on other sets and are now piggybacking to sets they forgot about.

2 Likes

Set goes out of print. Sealed starts rising eventually. Not sure whats confusing here.

AA to me is the gold star comparison for this era. The ones in this were a hit in Japanese. Just wish it had texture.

I wouldn’t say that it is confusing. I would say that a price jump of 25% raises eyebrows when the set couldn’t sell well for months on end.

Tons of content creators with access to distribution is pushing the idea that ‘distro has no booster boxes left’ and that all the SWSH era boxes won’t be getting a reprint.

I guess Chilling Reign was the best set out of the ones that were still cheap so people jumped into it?

The raw prices on the alt arts are going kinda crazy too.

4 Likes

Modern often sits for a few years then just starts rising randomly one day. Same thing with evolutions or any sun and moon set. Pretty par for the course.

1 Like

This is just my opinion but holding sealed modern English Pokemon seems to be a house of cards and someone will be left holding the bag. Factoring in the low EV when you open a box, relatively low quality control, and volume of product printed leads to me to believe that the only benefit to buying sealed modern is to try to flip it to someone before prices collapse. The current market conditions mean’s it makes zero financial sense to purchase and open a modern box for the cards inside.

The fundamentals aren’t there and Chilling Reign is just the latest set to be hyped.

12 Likes

They finally sold through it all :person_shrugging:

But actually, I don’t recall it ever having a HUGE reprint like Vivid Voltage or Shining Fates. It had a lot of product sure, but after thats been exhausted, thats it. I personally haven’t seen any Chilling Reign anything in stores for months now (although it is on Pokemoncenter rn :eyes: ). It doesn’t have the “ew Battle Styles” component to it. BS seemed to get the brunt of the hate which could explain why it hasn’t seen similar changes.

I’m hesitant to attribute modern price changes to this, but crazier things have happened.

For context, here are the other SW/SH sets with at least one year of sales data. Some have dramatic increases, others have increased predictably over time, and a few have changed little at all.

SW/SH Base

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.40.13 PM

Rebel Clash

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.40.46 PM

Darkness Ablaze

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.39.26 PM

Vivid Voltage

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.41.33 PM

Battle Styles

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.42.10 PM

Chilling Reign

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.42.43 PM

Evolving Skies

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.43.46 PM

Fusion Strike

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.43.20 PM

Brilliant Stars

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 4.44.18 PM

25% in less than 2 months seems pretty confusing.

Sure there’s demand but we gotta at the very least stop assuming is natural growth and give some room to questions.

Not saying every single price spike in modern is manipulation but just assuming this kind of growth is natural for a set that is over a year old is bonkers.

2 Likes

Agreed. Most TCG sealed boxes increase 6%-10% annually. Pokemon may have more dramatic swings than other card games (e.g., MTG) due to the collectibility of the cards, but this general rate is still applicable.

My guess is the no re-print rhetoric combined with no new english set releases for a couple months is causing people to fomo buy. I wouldn’t be surprised if this retraces after crown zenith is out.

The real crime here is darkness ablaze at nearly $150/bb. What?!

1 Like

Unpopular opinion: chilling reign is a great set and fusion strike is even better

5 Likes

You’re right, that’s a very unpopular opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

still chillin pain, not any more motivated to open the packs lol

1 Like

If you think this is weird, look at the prices for some of the alt arts in the set over the past 3 months.

It’s a great set:

14 Likes