What do you think are the top 10 most popular Pokemon?

Give your ranking of what you think the most popular Pokemon are!

1. Pikachu
  2. Charizard
  3. Gengar
  4. Blastoise
  5. Eevee + evolutions
  6. Mewtwo
  7. Gyarados
  8. Snorlax
  9. Legendary birds (Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno)
  10. Venusaur

:blush:

P.S. If this is in the wrong thread, please let me know. It was hard to decide where to put it.

4 Likes
  1. Charizard
  2. Umbreon
  3. Pikachu
  4. Eevee + non-sinnoh evolutions
  5. Mewtwo
  6. Rayquaza
  7. Lugia
  8. Mew
  9. Blastoise
  10. Gengar/Charmander

Honorable mentions to Articuno, Zapdos, Gyarados, Venusaur and the remaining Basic Kanto starters.

4 Likes
  1. Pikachu
  2. Charizard
  3. Eevee
  4. Umbreon
  5. Blastoise
  6. Rayquaza
  7. Lugia
  8. Squirtle
  9. Charmander
  10. Mewtwo
1 Like

Spot on. Just forgot wailmer

9 Likes

How and when did Umbreon get so popular? I never understood its appeal. I mean I think it’s cool but not *that* cool

4 Likes
  1. Pikachu
  2. Charizard
  3. Eevee
  4. Umbreon
  5. Mewtwo
  6. Gengar
  7. Mew
  8. Charmander
  9. Gyarados
  10. Rayquaza

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

I agree. I like Jolteon and Vaporeon a lot more than Umbreon. But it’s defintely the most popular of them.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I feel like Dragonite is a top 10, which people haven’t mentioned yet. More than Blastoise and Legendary Birds, at least

2 Likes

Most popular within the Pokemon community or most popular overall? If we ask what Pokemon are most popular overall, we could also ask “If you ask your boomer mom or any non-Pokemon person to name as many Pokemon they know, what would they say and in which order?”. My answer would be:

1. Pikachu
  2. Charizard
  3. Charmander
  4. Squirtle
  5. Bulbasaur
  6. Meowth
  7. Mewtwo
  8. Mew
  9. Lugia
    10.Eevee

Well, first impressions do matter… and I think most people would agree that the Neo Discovery Umbreon rookie is pretty darn epic. Plus, it’s the “edgy”, “badass”, dark Eeveelution of the bunch. And just about every one of its cards is at least very decent (aside from Shiny GX maybe). I also think it’s overrated, but that might be partly due to the fact that I still need two very expensive Umbreons that I’d love them to be cheaper :grin:

Back to topic: wasn’t there an official poll a while back where Greninja was actually the most popular among current younger generations?

2 Likes

pokemon2020.pokemon.com/en-us/ Here the google poll.

2 Likes

Great point! In the community.

Super cool Pokemon. Especially the original artwork.

1. pika
  2. charizard
  3. squirtle
  4. charmander
  5. blastoise
  6. lugia
  7. greninja
  8. eevee
  9. rayquaza
  10. mew
3 Likes

For adult card collector demographic:

1. Charizard
  2. Pikachu
  3. Rayquaza
  4. Lugia
  5. Umbreon
  6. Mewtwo
  7. Mew
  8. Gengar
  9. Sylveon
  10. Espeon

Early 2000s people thought it was cool to have “dark” Pokemon

1 Like

Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Charizard line
Pikachu
Eevee
Blastoise line
Mewtwo
Umbreon
Greninja
Lucario (surprised no one has mentioned this one yet; it’s VERY popular with the younger generations)
Dragonite
Mew

Bunch of reasons.

• Eeeveelution (obviously)
  • cool design
  • in the first group of Dark Pokemon (along with Murkrow, Houndoom, Tyranitar and Sneasel), and Dark types are “edgy”
  • was really good competitively back in the day, especially considering Dark types were the biggest reason why Psychic types were nerfed
  • its cards tend to have incredible art

I personally like Houndoom a lot more, but it is what it is. I can certainly see why Umbreon is so popular.

2 Likes

Got to have greninja in there, it was voted most popular by the masses before.

1. Pikachu
  2. Charizard
  3. Greninja
  4. Rayquaza
  5. Mewtwo
  6. Eevee/Eeveelutions (Mostly Umbreon)
  7. Legendary Birds (I’m including Ho-Oh and Lugia)
  8. Mimikyu
  9. Starters (mostly Gen 1-4)
  10. Sudo-Legendary (Mostly dragons)
  1. Pikachu
  2. Charizard
  3. Eevee
  4. Mewtwo
  5. Mew
  6. Rayquaza
  7. Jigglypuff
  8. Squirtle
  9. Snorlax
  10. Greninja

I’m judging popularity as what I have observed amongst fans, collectors, casuals, and references in other media. Mention any of these names to someone even slightly knowledgeable of video game culture in general, and they will know exactly what Pokemon you’re talking about. Pikachu/Char/Eevee are obviously the big three. Mewtwo, Jigglypuff and Squirtle have a large reach since they are all in Super Smash Bros, and they also get mentioned in hip-hop and rap songs as well (the masses are definitely aware they exist, even if they don’t play Pokemon). Jigglypuff (and Snorlax) were huge parts of the original anime, and I see more memes referencing Snorlax than any other Pokemon - besides Mewtwo, of course. Mew is the most popular mythical, of course, because of the huge mystery surrounding it which existed amongst children even up until my generation (during Gen V). Rayquaza and Greninja don’t really need explaining…I haven’t met a single person who doesn’t like either of them.

1 Like