What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

I remember seeing someone compare champions path zards graded being way more compared to gold stars graded. I thought they were comparing it to the gold star zard or maybe even the infamous dog trio stars. No, he meant way more champion paths zards graded compared to ALL golds stars graded combined. There are more of 1 secret rare from a modern card graded than all chase cards from the entire 3rd generation of pokemon combined. (yes there were other secret rares but gold stats were THE chase cards of 3rd gen).

Those type of numbers really baffle me as to a modern set card hitting 500+ dollars.

2 Likes

hello it’s me, someone - An elaborate attempt at print run estimation. (WIP) 5-8-18 - #58 by kevinertia

The comparison there was regarding PSA 10 rainbow zards vs all EX AND all gold star 10s combined, but the point remains the same. And in the year since that post the PSA 10 pop for Champion’s Path Charizard has almost doubled.

That’s not all to say that I’m a modern doomer, though. There are still plenty of good cards out there. It’s just the 0 research lowest common denominator “grade 1000 copies of every Charizard” crowd in particular that’s just a tiny step more engaged than the “buy all the ETBs on the shelf” crew.

7 Likes

What I’m saying is that none of those cards would ever be submitted today.

And if not for the hype, none of them would have been submitted before.

1 Like

To give some context though, there are definitely more copies of those Charizard chase cards because they are in a special set with fewer ultra rare cards.

Actually, I should check % wise, but still they should be much easier to pull than cards in main sets.

1 Like

Here is a juicy one: Non pokemon art done by artists can be very underwhelming. Without their connection to Pokémon, a lot of their art wouldn’t be noticed.

16 Likes

Me having just paid Saitou $200 for an original piece

(but I agree they would not be on the radar without Pokemon)

14 Likes

Possibly an accepted, but generally inconvenient truth…

This made me wonder, since PkMn is so controlling about what can be done with the art, Is PkMn illus. largely an “exposure gig”?

1 Like

Also on this note… It doesn’t make sense to hate 5ban when all they are doing is meeting the needs of the client. If Pokémon wants hyper bright Vs that can blend together, that’s what the team at 5ban will provide. I’m sure they are capable of other styles, but the “5ban style” is obviously what the higher ups at Pokémon want and requests over and over.

12 Likes

Honestly yea I blame Pokemon for hiring and approving so much bad art tbh

1 Like

I like most 5ban full arts.

Im In Danger Ralph GIF - Im In Danger Ralph Simpsons - Discover & Share GIFs

12 Likes

Wait until you see the new Hisuian Arcanine V by 5ban and then you wonder how the same company is approving Arita Lugia and that monstrosity.

2 Likes

I love their BW ones and Victory cards. They definitely have some bangers where the holo / texture complements the simpler style.

4 Likes

Im here to say -a little late- that primes are better than ex. While artwork is a matter of preference and personal taste, the following is not:
Rarity. Primes have rarity. Go ahead and collect the primes in unlimited Japanese. Go ahead and collect the reverse holo primes in unlimited Japanese. You wana talk about doctoring cards and removing ink (dig at autograph drama as of late) you’ll be removing 1st ed symbols OR spending more time than you can imagine searching for these. Theres trophy cards that have sold more regularly than some of the unlimited reverse holo primes as of late.
“But what about English” “I can’t read Japanese therefore it doesn’t exist”
Ok…ok… Heres why primes are better still for even English collectors: Rarity
Look at the population report and tell me with a straight face they are easy to grade, compared to ex era you wont be grading these gem mint any time soon. And the prices reflect that… while ex has boomed and is settling for nearly every ex, many of the primes have yet to surface, and when they do its another record.

I also want to set the record straight about artwork and style, of which legendary collection still is the most unpopular and sells for less than MSRP right? These things change, and if anything is ripe for a change its the poor view of primes. The style of primes is a good style and the cards look exceptional when they are assembled together. Individually they leave a little to be desired but as soon as two or three of them are together, youll see just how great they are.

7 Likes

I’m tired of the hard seltzers and seltzer in general trend. I don’t like barely flavored seltzer with a hint of artificial fruit to begin with so why would I suddenly like it with 5% alcohol? Plus the carbonation makes it harder to drink fast. I’d rather have alcoholic fruit juice or if it needs to be carbonated something like San Pellegrino grapefruit or Mandarin. Or pay a little more for a canned mix hard drink, I love those.

12 Likes

Seltzer anything is trash

2 Likes

This may not be as unpopular of an opinion but I hate pokemon English packaging. Please stop with all the plastic insert trash. Sure it looks displayed and attractive but I’m tired of dealing with all the damn waste and not being able to find a place to recycle it sucks even more. Plus the occasional sharp corners cutting my hands up is not fun either.

24 Likes

PWCC will continue to decline while eBay continues to expand their offerings for collectibles (vault, authenticity, eBay live, etc).

2 Likes

I am surprised Pokémon didn’t make a temporary change during the boom to cut down on size and amount of packaging. Shipping cost could have gone down for everyone invlolved if the Premium V boxes were cut down in size. Could just have a box of 8 packs with a “box topper” as the promo

4 Likes

Ebay is positioning themselves to have an offering that meets or exceeds what everyone else does.

2 Likes

This guy right here is public enemy no. 1!

This is like the size of 2 or more booster boxes, but only has 11 packs. I ordered 6 of these to open and the box was probably 3 ft long. The pika was supposed to be gigantamax, not the plastic! :sweat_smile:

17 Likes