What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

How do you mean that? Web was only released in Japan and it did not repackage any Japanese-exlusive cards into English. It’s quite the opposite, there are originally English-exclusive cards (the legendary birds) that are only available in Japanese due to being released in Web.

It’s been a long day tho, so I might just be too tired to understand your comment.

3 Likes

Base set is not “objectively” the worst, that’s factually incorrect.

7 Likes

I think its the fact that the japanese version seems more washed out in its colors as well.

1 Like

You are wrong. Obectively the worst are Gym Heroes/Challenge. Most of the cards use stock art, way more than Base Set

2 Likes

The notion of “stock” Base is ridiculous.

When Base was released, Sugimoris S-tier art hadn’t experienced 20+ years of commercial saturation based on that very fact and the backgrounds not being in natura or leaning more on the monochromatic side is not some auto-disqualifier for quality.

If people want all their cards to look like vending Caterpie then that is their prerogative as individuals, but I’m not a fan of how this whole “fuck early wotc”-thingy is slowly retarding into some wannabe art counsel where the word “objective” is used on an increased frequency.

14 Likes

At least you can take some reassurance that the people using the word “Objective” evidently don’t know it’s meaning. Or maybe they misspelt Subjective

5 Likes

lol sorry i had just woken up :face_with_spiral_eyes:
i guess i meant that it had cards that were translated.

1 Like

i definitely meant it as without opinion. if you break it down and compare it to every other set without any context (being the first TCG set, etc), it has less impressive artwork.

however, i forgot how much of the gym sets were dominated by sugimori and that style of a pokemon with a washed out stock background. i think it is fair to say those are worse from that standpoint or at least on the same level.

still think rocket, jungle, and fossil are better simply with the number of cards by himeno (butterfree, golem, and dark charmeleon are all great examples from each set)

and then after that, all of the neo sets are another tier above these. after that, e series would be another tier above those.

it’s ok to still like these sets even though their art is less diverse/has less dimension/expression/etc. no need to take it personally :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

you’re right. i overlooked how much of those sets seemed to be scrapping together doodles and pairing them with a portfolio of backgrounds

1 Like

Yet again, your ‘subjective’ opinions

4 Likes

The Neo Premium file 2 Charizard is the most underrated Old School Charizard

7 Likes

yeah i guess if you’re partial to that style of art, it would be your subjective opinion that it isn’t worse than other stuff. i guess i was assuming we were talking about it from a technical perspective. my bad.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion: art is subjective…

8 Likes

Even if it was from a technical perspective, it would still be subjective, unless everyone agreed on the parameters

2 Likes

Thiss is my first post and not entirely too sure its an unpopular opinion as its only half about pokemon but:
the higher rarity modern yugioh singles such as starlight rares and ghost rares are a better investment than the higher rarity modern pokemon singles.
I still think sealed modern pokemon is obviously better and I love the alt arts (especially the umbreon from evolving skies) but im a pokemon collector and ive been looking at yugioh singles such as the starlight rares and I honestly dont know why more people dont look to invest in them - they hardly ever lose that much value and are genuinley rarer - maybe because its not as popular of a TCG but as a collector just wanted to share my thoughts.

Sorry its not directly pokemon related but maybe someone might want to discuss cross collecting and give an insight with their thoughts.

1 Like

Nah, Yugioh cards are messy and ugly

2 Likes

@neoashuri, everybody and their mother are sitting on sealed modern as an “investment” right now.
Hard to see it do much of anything long term that couldn’t be outdone by a normal stock market investment. Having to store sealed product and risk of damage due to shipping 10 years from now doesn’t sound fun to me.

5 Likes

Evolutions entered the chat

4 Likes

5ban bad, evolutions good(now), gen 2 good, bad art bad and also good art good, wotc overrated

please like this post now

4 Likes

Charizard should be in every set.

Am I doing it right?

1 Like