Two different EX codes for Gyrados gold star?

I just noticed that the Gyrados Gold Star on Bulbapedia and in the list of English EX codes compiled by @tonysandlin, the Holon Phantoms Gyarados gold star has the code HBZ-N70-D2N. But when I look at pictures online I only come across the code HBZ-N70-HD3. Are there two different codes for the Gyrarados gold star, and if yes, does this apply to other gold stars as well? Or was this simply a mistake in the Bulbapedia image, and Eric used Bulbapedia as source for the codes?

Can any of the Gyarados collectors check the code on their card? @shizzlemetimbers @azulryu @redgyarados92 (I got the feeling I forgot someone here…)

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

It’s been so long that I don’t remember. Although, many of the codes were already in the list, I just helped to add in missing ones. Never got around to completing it though.

I have only seen HD3, I never found the other code. Perhaps it was a stock image from around release but the image quality is a little too good for 2007ish. Another super specific pokemystery I think!

Actually I double checked, the image was uploaded 2008 so maybe it was just the stock image used around release.

4 Likes

Yeah, I indeed had the feeling it was a stock image, mainly because the image is a non-Holo from what I can see, and is a bit too clear. But since @tonysandlin used the same code in his Excel, I wasn’t too sure, hence the question. :blush: I don’t collect Gyarados, so it’s not that important for me personally, but since I came across this difference (I was comparing pictures after someone on reddit was asking if their pictured Gyarados gold star was real, which it regrettably was not), I figured I’d ask, since the Gyarados collectors among us might like to know if there were indeed two different codes.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Somewhat on topic: I think it would be nice if as a community we could come up with a list of all code variants. I imagine some codes are a lot rarer than others and most of us are blissfully unaware.

On a similar note, the first EX Emerald Pichu code in the spreadsheet is “BSW-3XN-B31”, however in 2 weeks since leaving this post I’ve not seen a single example which has this code. I’m wondering how some of these codes were verified when that spreadsheet was created; I’m guessing it may have been an assumption based on the Luvdisc and Spoink cards which also have B31 variants alongside JCR and CUU (like the Pichu) - these, however, seem very easy to find.

Update: Found one!

1 Like

Some of it might have been assumed based on the pattern found within the codes. They need verification, however. Perhaps unverified codes can be in red text? I also would love to see a full list. Collectors are becoming privy to the variations and I’m even finding them specified on Japanese auctions. My hope was that we could finish English and then move on to Japanese afterwards. The other languages seem to be pretty much the same as English, except for a few differences I’ve noticed within my Voltorb collection. No doubt there are other changes for other Pokemon.

Lots left to do…

2 Likes

The EX Emerald Battle Frontier trainer card from my Seviper collection has the non-Holo with two different codes in German, French, and Italian (one of the two codes is the same code as the Reverse Holo code), but only in one code in Portuguese and English. That’s the only difference I’ve been able to find thus far for codes between languages. Although I only have this single EX Emerald trainer card and all the Pikachu cards to go on. I do have loads of other cards with multiple codes in my collection, but mainly in Japanese (I might have all Magikarp in both 1st and unlimited edition in all four codes variations, lol… That 7,000 Japanese non-Holo lot I bought a year ago contained so many cards of certain Pokémon; mainly Magikarp, Unown, and the gen 4, 5, and 6 starters…)

Greetz,
Quuador

To correct my previous post, I’ve since found a B31 Pichu, although sadly it’s in pretty poor shape: