Thoughts on this OC 1st Edition Charizard?

So, This has to be the most OC Charizard (1st Edition) that I’ve seen; With the exception of a CGC 8, a little less extreme than this one.

ebay.us/CLxYa8

I assume it’s been a little Shilled, judging by the sporadic bid increases.

If this hits the market with No Reserve (I believe it’s $20K+ As a Reserve as it’s not met yet), What would you expect the end price to reach? Or is this so much of a Niche/obscure card, that the Sky is the limit and it’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay?

Here is the CGC 8, With a little less OC than this one, Listed at $12.5K OBO.

www.pwccmarketplace.com/vault-marketplace/257274

1 Like

Can you or someone else explain why sporadic bid increases mean shill bidding? I don’t quite understand.

If you look at the Bid history > Users and Feedback, it often becomes obvious when a shill is in Play, the sudden jump from 7K-13K is a little suspicious, especially with having a little over a week left in the auction, usually these things jump high in the last day or so.

Also, The individual who owns this card, has his own self starting Grading Company, and he’s been found to shill his own Graded cards to bump the value on them; So that carries over a smidge.

2 Likes

I’m not dismissing that it could be shilled, but there is a reserve on the auction. Doesn’t having a reserve eliminate the urge to shill?

iirc correctly this card was for sale in the facebook misprint group as well. The owner of this card has(/had) his own grading company where he graded and then sold his own cards. He cant use his own name in the facebook groups anymore, a few days ago when this card was for sale in the misprint group someone else tried to sell it for him, lots of negative comments because everyone knew it was him. So yeah sketchy.

Please correct me if I am wrong, the listing seems to be deleted in the facebook misprint group, so I cant check to see if it the same charizard, although it would be quite the coincidence if it would not be. I hate to have negative comments about a seller, so take this with a grain of salt until someone confirms if my memory is correct.

1 Like

Not necessarily I would think, since there’s a reserve, shilling it just to the line before the Reserve price would be ideal if someone is looking to make it seem like it’s a very active, sought after item.

It’s shilled. The current high bid of $16.9k USD belongs to a zero feedback account with 100% bid activity with the listing.

4 Likes

This is that same exact card. Apparently he has stepped away from Facebook due to the backlash he’s had from the community with some of the practices.

I do know quite a bit more to the story, and a slew of other issues but those are besides the point, I’m more interested in what the Actual market should be for this specific card.

That’s almost certainly cut from a sheet rather than a factory error, right? I’ve never understood the appeal these seem to hold.

That, I cannot be certain of. I can tell you this card has never been graded by PSA; The person selling it in the CGC Slab got it raw from another user, and was going to grade it with his own ‘Company’, but decided to go with CGC instead.

I assume CGC would have caught if it was a sheet card? But who knows for sure. I haven’t seen any other 1st Ed Base major misfits like this though.

I always understood it to be the case that sheet cuts will be off by the same amount back and front, whereas factory errors will be different; but I don’t know where I read that anymore (probably here, somewhere) or whether it’s true. This card certainly looks like front and back are off by the same amount.

It’s also hard to get those sheet cut proportions right, and the two corner dots are visible at the right spot on both sides, so that’s a really good sheet cut, if it is.

1 Like

Those are two different errors, you have got miscut, which this card is. This is quite a common error and happens when the sheet are cut, normally in the factory but sometimes also by someone else (although it is really hard to get the proportions right and to have the correct border and corner cuts, so normally it is factory cut).

The other error you are describing is misalignment, this error happens when the front and the back are put onto each other. And the cutting process will go as planned although the back will be misaligned with the front. This error is from the factory as I cant see anyway to get a sheet with only the back and a sheet with only the front and then correctly putting these 2 together.

2 Likes

Ahh, yes, I see how I muddled it. Thanks for the explanation!