The Tropical Woodsman's Collection - Neo 4

You might see a theme emerge here - Japanese & Sealed

My pokemon story is very typical. I started collecting when I was about 9/10 and the craze hit the UK, slowly diminishing after that, picked it up again a few years ago, stopped, and now for the past six months or so I’ve been collecting ‘properly’.

I believe my fixation with Japanese cards is due to getting some packs (Gym 1+2) one Christmas. I just remember them being so much more interesting to me than English cards, and the pack artwork and type infinitely added to that fascination.

So here we go:

Jungle sealed - This is my favourite box I have (so far). Nothing too flashy or expensive, but the colours, artwork, and type face really get me; the condition as well, is superb. The corners are sharp, the plastic is clear and stretched tight. I just love it :blush:

Neo 1 sealed - I’m ambivalent about this box at best; I much prefer the pack artwork. I like the simple Sugimori style and the Neo typeface on the top, but the rest just doesn’t feel cohesive to me. Condition is average, corners are mushy and there’s a tear in the plastic. I’d like to replace it with a better condition one in time.

Neo 1 open - Before I knew any better I used to open boxes and packs :wink: I bought this several years ago sealed; you can see the remnants in the right of the box (20). This is where I also keep my other loose Neo packs, Neo 2 on the left (25) and Neo 3 in the middle (11). I actually much prefer this open box than the sealed one.

Base/Expansion open - Oh how I wish this one was sealed! I got this one a few years ago already open with about 25 packs inside. Now it keeps my odd packs inside. Left to right is mostly chronological and then Fossil packs to the right (20). A good condition sealed copy is high on my list.

BTS - I always find ‘behind the scenes’ photos interesting, so here’s mine. Gorillapod tripod, a black polo shirt on some stacked textbooks, two heavy metal things to keep everything taut and stable, lego bricks to help positioning.

![](http://i.imgur.com/PgpsQgq.jpg)
24 Likes

DP1 Diamond 1ED sealed - Dialga is looking strong on this box, and a cheeky Budew on the front. Condition is very good. Overall, I like it.

DP1 Pearl 1ED sealed - This box reminds of the Power Rangers, not a fan. Condition is a bit worse than the Diamond box.

DP4 Moonlit Pursuit UED open - The box is tatty but the packs are nice. Will replace eventually.

DP5 Cry from the Mysterious UED open - Same as above.

6 Likes

L1 HeartGold 1ED sealed - I like how it looks like Ho-Oh and Totodile are screaming at each other. The overall colour, artwork, typeface are just my thing. Shame about the plastic split on the right side, but excellent overall. On the list for replacing.

L1 SoulSilver 1ED sealed - Much the same as HeartGold, the mirroring is a nice touch.

L2 Reviving Legends 1ED sealed - I always like seeing the Legendary Dogs, so no complaints there. The plastic on the top is quite cloudy and opaque. Will eventually replace.

L3 Clash at the Summit 1ED sealed - This is my jam! The vibrant artwork of all the legendaries is sooo nice. Condition is excellent but some hefty scratches on the plastic. I regret not getting more when I could.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story and collection with us. :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks! These are all my boxes (minus XY sets), but I have a lot of loose packs that I’ll share.

Cool collection bro :blush:

1 Like

Base/Expansion

Jungle, Mystery of the Fossils & Rocket Gang

Gym1 Leaders’ Stadium & Gym 2 Challenge from the Darkness

Neo 1 Gold, Silver to a New World, Neo 2 Crossing the Ruins & Neo 3 Awakening Legends

VS Grass/Lightning & Psychic/Fighting 1ED

5 Likes

E1 Base Expansion & E3 Wind from the Sea 1ED

E4 Split Earth & E5 Mysterious Mountains 1ED

ADV2 Miracle of the Desert, ADV3 Rulers of the Heavens & ADV5 Undone Seal UED

PCG3 Rocket Gang Strikes Back, PCG4 Golden Sky, Silvery Ocean & PCG6 Holon Research Tower UED

3 Likes

DP4 Dawn Dash & DP4 Moonlit Pursuit 1ED

DP4 Dawn Dash, DP4 Moonlit Pursuit & DP5 Cry from the Mysterious UED

DP6 Intense Fight in the Destroyed Sky, DPT2 Bonds to the End of Time & DPT1 Galactic’s Conquest 1ED

L1 HeartGold & L1 SoulSilver 1ED

4 Likes

Love seeing the old Japanese stuff sealed. It’s like traveling back in time :blush:

Now, if you happen to post pictures of Base “short” packs, you will make several of us crazy with envy!

1 Like

It’s just the same for me, reminds me of christmas as a kid.

They’re on the list, but just too expensive for me atm. There’s also the Jungle short pack and 291 yen that I need.

I must say japanese boosters have the nicest art. Nice pictures btw.

1 Like

Agreed! And thanks, I put a bit of effort in to them and am happy with how they turned out. I’m not sure why they only appear very small in the thread. They’re only small files (my upload speed is abysmal) but I thought they should appear bigger.

Use the tapatalk app it helps alot. Direct picture upload option and large photos.

Your collection is making me envious :open_mouth:

2 Likes

[Edit - I’ve made all my photos on the first page larger]

After all the discussion about Japanese base set no rarity, and the slightest potential they could reside within these starter decks, I couldn’t resist the hope/hype, especially if I could make @pokemonsyndicate envious with some minty fresh no raritans :wink:

I’ve also been able to complete a couple of booster pack sets with the addition of these two awesome packs. They’ve been itching me for a while, especially since I’ve seen some floating around for a while but they were bit more than I wanted to pay, but some good prices came up.

Neo Destiny ‘Darkness, and to Light’ & E-Series 2 ‘The Town on No Map’ 1ED

They look soooooo good! But why isn’t the bloody Neo 2 logo at the same level as the rest?! Ash (or whoever) needs to grow a bit more!

They belong in a museum! Very very nice, again, but E1 feels a bit out of place with it’s Sugimori style compared to the rest (I think by Midori Harada).

8 Likes

Very nice packs and your pictures are awesome!

1 Like

Thanks! I figured out how to get the photos bigger, which helps a lot, so you don’t have too squint so much.

I’ve got a bunch of stuff on it’s way as well, some hopefully this week if it goes straight through customs (fingers crossed).

1 Like

ooooo no raritan signs on de cards on back xD

1 Like

Sadly that’s probably the only place you’ll find them. I am super tempted to open (and film it) just to see; they’re in ok condition, not the best, so if I can get nicer ones I might just do it. Might.

1 Like