The Shift Squad - New Member June 8!

Thanks everyone!

To be honest, I’m not sure a full Base holo set is my goal. There are several Base cards I’m not as crazy about, and it’s not like completing a normal binder set, where you have to suck it up and buy a few $20 holos for the satisfaction of completion. The lowest I’ve spent on a Base shift is $1300, and I’m not presently willing (or able) to spend that on every holo just for the sake of completing the set. There are also some Jungle/Fossil ones I love and would rather own, such as Articuno, Dragonite, Flareon, Gengar, and Neo Destiny ones like Dark Scizor. For now, I’m going to focus on shifts I think are cool and I want to own, even if they don’t fit a pattern!

5 Likes

When I came back collecting Pokémon back in 2015/2016 after having collected Yu-Gi-Oh for a while, it always surprised me how there are barely any holo shifts in Pokémon, yet a lot in Yu-Gi-Oh, and vice-versa for miscuts/off-centered cards. I remember thinking there were barely any error cards in Pokémon in general at the time, but that’s long been busted, especially with the amount of misprints we see in modern sets, haha. I probably simply wasn’t active enough in the Pokémon community yet in comparison to Yu-Gi-Oh.

Big congrats on yet another CGC-graded Base Set Holo Shift! Even though you’re not going for an active set, I see you’re picking up every holo shift you don’t have yet (unless it’s Chansey, you can never have enough Chansey shifts :wink: ), so it wouldn’t surprise me if we do in fact see a full set once day in the distance future, haha. :blush:

If you see a Pikachu anywhere, lmk. Still looking for one of these for my collection. I’ve only seen it once thus far, but the owner asks 3k+ USD… :unamused:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I almost wanna buy those partner packs sealed and just open a ton to try and get one of those cards…
I’ve never pulled anything (that I know of) that was anywhere close to that kind of error

I have two of the pika binders and neither have the invert unfortunately :c

those cards are dope!

1 Like

Can I join? imgur.com/a/bGtKU7O

3 Likes

Misaligned print layer dragonite 19/62. imgur.com/a/d91KJ09

3 Likes

How have I just seen this !? This is awesome ! Very cool to see nice one :facepunch:

1 Like

A new member has joined the squad! I’ve wanted this one for years and am over the moon I was able to recruit him. Thank you @TCAGaming for the sale! :blush:

19 Likes

This is an amazing week for the squad! Please welcome Ampharos :blush:

17 Likes

neo Holo shifts seem to come up a lot less. This one is particularly is really good

The look on its face is like “I can’t believe it”

2 Likes

I swear you own pretty much all the shifted holos. I’ve only ever seen photos of them in this thread. You got a good eye for them.

3 Likes

I promise there are more :sweat_smile: I am up to 12 though

3 Likes

What sort of price range are these? I only ever see the ebay ones listed super high i just wondered what a rough price guide actually is. You dont have to be specific as i know its a private thing but a little guide would be great if possible. Always fancied owning one but want to be able to at least get most of the money back after ive enjoyed it.

1 Like

Troll and Toad says $40. I once had a buyer use TnT for pricing and the card has been sold out for 7 years. They really should just take the pricing info down if sold out.

3 Likes

Honestly all over the place, I’ve paid from $500 to $5,500. I think a standard, CGC 6-7 condition, WOTC holo shift is usually around $1.3 - $2k but there are a huge numbers of factors such as which Pokémon, level of shift (bigger isn’t always better imo, some cards have a stronger aesthetic appeal with a medium shift vs the same card with larger shift), how many people are fighting for it, etc.

None of my holo shifts were purchased as regular cards the seller missed the error on; they were all advertised as errors. I sometimes over-offer to secure a card I really want. I don’t really care about a good deal / comps / anything like that and I’ve seen many people try to get deals / been worried about paying a few $hundred over “market value” and that’s why I have 12 shifts and they have zero. :nail_care:

11 Likes

Unfortunately for my bank account, this is an extremely inaccurate price in today’s market. At point they had that Kang listed at around $4k IIRC.

3 Likes

For sure, I was poking fun at people who use troll and toad out of stock and out of date prices to justify the current market price

3 Likes

Oh! Got it

1 Like

Thats really helpful thanks. Being in a niche market myself i know it takes time getting a feeling for it all and its nice hearing others thoughts. I didnt think $40 lol i know they arent cheap just wasnt sure about the range having seen zero sold prices.

1 Like

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH

4 Likes