The Kpat Collection

Hey everyone - I’ve been posting on here for over a year but never got around to making a collection thread.

I started collecting during the Pokemon craze in the '90s, fizzled out over the course of gen 3, pretty much missed DP/BW entirely, and only got fully back into cards again starting with the Generations set.

I don’t really collect any PSA-graded cards. I totally understand the appeal, but personally I prefer the freedom of leaving them ungraded - the idea that I could do whatever I want with them: build a deck, arrange them in a binder, feel the texture on a full art or something. Plus it saves money of course. So I’m mostly a binder collector who looks for ungraded cards in near mint to mint condition.

My main focus lately has been Sun and Moon sets. I’ve been buying booster boxes and selling my duplicates to make some money back, and it’s actually going pretty well. This focus on the business side of things rather than collecting is also why I’ve been mostly absent from here lately, but I’m trying to balance them both going forward.

My SM secret rares so far:

I also collect some WotC sets, mostly base through Neo, although I haven’t added anything in a while. These are the exception to my “near mint or better” rule, since I’ve had most of them since I was a kid, and as a kid I was known to stuff 10 cards in a single binder slot or shuffle them like a deck of playing cards.

I really like the niche print runs too, especially 4th print base and 3rd print fossil, so I have a handful of each. I also have some shadowless cards, including a Charizard I pulled from one of my first booster packs back in 1999, which is unfortunately in considerably worse condition than the picture makes it look:

And when I come across a card that I absolutely love, sometimes I’ll start collecting multiple editions of it - so far my most complete collection like this is Flareon EX from Generations, which has the cutest art ever:

I also started an Alolan Vulpix collection recently. I’ve noticed that several people on here collect all cards of a certain species, and I’ve always thought it was a cool idea. Alolan Vulpix has quickly become one of my favorites (and doesn’t have 20 years’ worth of prior cards to collect) so I went with that one. Here’s what I have so far:

I’ll try to keep this thread updated once in a while with anything cool I pick up in the future. Thanks for reading!

17 Likes

Yay another Alolan Vulpix collector! :grin: You have a very nice collection in general :blush:

6 Likes

Thanks! I just checked out your collection thread too and your Vulpix collection is great (and I love the socks!) I recently bought a pair of Litten socks but didn’t read the description closely enough, so now I have child size socks that are impossible to wear because they don’t even reach my heel.

Your whole collection is awesome, Latias and the Eeveelutions are some of my favorites too. You have good taste!

1 Like

you should hang those socks above the fireplace during christmas, it’ll be lit-ten.
and it will also light the fireplace… no really this is a brilliant idea, the color scheme even goes with Christmas.
nice collection, i too love those vulpixes haha.

1 Like

Lol, I really like that idea, turning them into a decoration to get some sort of use out of them. Or I suppose they’d fit on my hands if I decided I didn’t need opposable thumbs for a while. Litten mittens.

Seriously, I’m gonna find a use for these socks now - they’ve just been sitting in my drawer but now I’m determined.

Burning Shadows time!

Picked up these two for the collection of course:

I’ve had that Toys R Us promo for a while, I just realized I forgot to include it in the photo last time.

And now the fancy stuff:

Also, I really like the art on the regular Ho-Oh GX card from this set (not pictured). I propose that PLANETA give 5ban Graphics a break and take over all GXs going forward, I’ve really been liking theirs so far.

5 Likes

New addition to the collection, this time a Japanese specialty box:

I’ve become a big fan of these two - aside from this box I already have a “Nebby get in the bag” bag and a preordered Lillie figure. This box has some nice stuff, including these two promo cards:

Love the art on both of these - I thought the one on the left was by Kanako Eo at first glance, which is always a compliment.

I’m actually tempted to start a Lillie and Nebby card collection along the lines of my Alolan Vulpix collection, but due to the nature of trainer cards I feel like that would quickly become a hundred copies of the same card with different numbers in the bottom corner. Maybe I’ll just collect the SM full art print, and any cool promos like these.

I also filled one of the most glaring holes in my collection, by finding Litten socks that actually fit me at Worlds this year:

What’s that? The design of the other pair is better, and orange doesn’t go with anything I own? I’m wearing Litten socks, your argument is invalid.

6 Likes

I branched out a bit and bought a couple of Korean booster boxes for the first time. I was curious what they were like, and wanted to add a new language to a couple of my collections:

I have an SM2+ booster box on the way too, to get the reverse holo Vulpix.

Also, these were the only two GX cards I got from my SM2K box:

Are the probability gods trying to tell me to collect the whole evolution line or something?

I see why Korean cards can be bought for so cheap. I mean, I know demand is lower and I’m sure that’s the biggest reason, but the card quality really doesn’t hold up well compared to Japanese or even English. The card stock is kind of glossy and sticky and not very satisfying to leaf through, and quite a few cards had minor scratches or dings in the texture, or out-of-place ink dots. The centering seemed better than English at least.

Overall it was a really interesting experience, I’m glad I tried it.

6 Likes

:open_mouth: omg. Do you have any duplicates of the Vulpix? Also that’s awesome luck with the 2 Ninetales :grin:

I’ve been thinking about getting Alolan Vulpixes with different languages too but apart from English and Japanese they seem to be hard to find. There are some German and Italian ones on eBay though.

1 Like

Yep, I’ve got two extras of the Vulpix - are you interested? Thanks for the heads up about the German and Italian ones, I’ll have to go check that out.

www.cardmarket.com/en/Pokemon/MainPage/showSearchResult?searchFor=alolan+vulpix All the languages except for Brazilian Portuguese and Korean (English, Japanese, German, French, Italian, Spanish). :slightly_smiling_face:

And nice to see you’ve tried Korean cards. Their quality is indeed as you describe: scratches, ink dots, bad quality cardboard. But still, I kinda like some of them. And it’s cool to have all languages next to each other, like the Pikachu World Collection 2000 and 2010 which combined have all languages except for Russian, Danish and Swedish.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Ooh, that looks like a nice site, like a TCGPlayer that’s not limited to English cards - it seems primarily Europe-focused, do most of the sellers ship worldwide?

Definitely :grin: Hit me up on DMs, maybe we can work out a trade or something :blush:

1 Like

They only ship to Europe mostly, but I (and by the looks of the previous comment @xzini as well) am available if you ever need a middleman.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Awesome, I might take you up on that offer at some point, thanks! That site has a much better variety of non-Japanese-or-English cards than I’ve seen anywhere else.

If you ever need a middleman for a US-only seller on another site or anything, I’d be happy to return the favor.

1 Like

SM4+ is here! As usual with the “plus” releases, there are a ton of reprints from earlier SM sets, but I absolutely love every single piece of new art even if there aren’t that many. Some of the highlights:

Sorry, did I say I loved “every” new art? The regular Pheromosa GX is the worst looking card I’ve seen in quite some time, which is unfortunate since it’s one of the only Ultra Beasts I actually like. The full art is much better though.

6 Likes

Just picked up a set of Japanese BW promos featuring the Eeveelutions - I’ve been admiring this set for a while, I love the bright colors and consistent art style across all of them:

They now join my existing English set (and lonely Italian Glaceon):

In other news, many thanks to @xzini for trading me a couple of cards that will become part of my eventual Kanako Eo collection:

I’m planning to collect some cards by my favorite artists, especially ones who have a consistent and recognizable style. Thanks again!

6 Likes

I remember that ponyta, because it looked similar to the shiny one, which is a great card.

But I love seeing this in a thread, just reminds me to appreciate the cards for the artwork. The ralts really appeals to me because of the background, with the sign, street lamp, and building. Now I’ll be on the lookout for one!

Also are you looking to get the eevee poncho promos that came out? I’m unsure as of now, even though $50 for a sealed set may be as low as it gets.

1 Like

I’ve seen those - they’re cute, I’m a big fan of Eevee-related stuff but those aren’t as high on my list. I think it’s because they’re all the same pose with different costumes, while the ones from the BW set have the same style but are all very individual cards.

Yeah, I see the set for $46 on ebay - not sure what the print run was like or if it’ll come down at all, but that seems about average for Japanese promos.

Hey everyone, a few collection additions to keep this thread alive:

First of all, I picked up a couple of Japanese promos recently, which are - predictably - these:

This is, without a doubt, my favorite Alolan Vulpix artwork yet. Actually, after typing that sentence I went back and checked the SM4+/Ultra Prism art and now I’m immediately doubting my choice. Let’s just say those two share the title - one for elegance and one for just being adorable.

Also, these came as a set, so let’s show some love for OG fire Vulpix too, these are both nice.

Next up is something that combines my two favorite things to collect: Pokemon stuff and anime figures.

It’s a Lillie Nendoroid! I pre-ordered this last year after seeing it advertised at Anime Expo, and it just showed up a few weeks ago.

Finally, I mentioned in the Secret Santa thread that I’d try to ramp up my Latias collecting soon - I haven’t added any new ones yet, but here are a few that I already own:

I’m sure they’ll have some more friends soon enough.

6 Likes