The Giant Professional Grading Thread

This thread is going to be permanently stuck in recently updated that’s for sure

1 Like

Companies cant even consistently grade within a solid grade on the same card. You could regrade a card and get a higher or lower grade. Why would BGS be able to accurately grade a card within half a point? I really wouldn’t give any weight to a BGS 9.5 being a certain quality difference compared to a PSA 10 or PSA 9. Quite frankly with how varied card grades can be whether it be human error or not, a BGS 9.5 could be a PSA 9 or 10. Only reason you’d want to get a 9.5 is if there was a solid chance it would have been a PSA 9 at max.

3 Likes

Looks like a psa 11

5 Likes

If u scratch out the charmander and draw a bulbasaur u can get 30k

3 Likes

Tyranitar Stonks

*goes back into lurking*

1 Like

If it had a chance at a 10 the owner would have sent to PSA. Pretty straight forward.

1 Like

Also: this is a misprint card. In the copy in the bottom description, “hust” should be “just”. @zorloth @quuador have you seen anything like this before?

2 Likes

Looks like all copies are like this, unfortunately :slightly_frowning_face:

To piggyback off of your points… CGC mirroring the BGS grading scale while grading harsher (in my opinion) is puzzling to me. I think they should have skipped the 9.5 and gone straight to 10 (gem mint) and then a 10* for (Pristine). This way, you have a larger distribution of 9’s and a smaller distribution of 10’s, which are the two driving grades of the Pokemon market.

I’ve graded 300+ WOTC era cards and a few modern cards with CGC, and I have never received a single Pristine 10. I have four holos that have received a 9.5 and a few commons/uncommons that got 9.5 as well. ZandG got like 400 PSA 10’s in one bulk submission, but I can’t get a single CGC 10 on at least a few of the 300+ cards I’ve submitted? I’ve also gotten way, way too many 8.5’s. I have eight Expedition holos (yes, 8 different cards) that got a CGC 8.5. Take 20% of my 8.5’s and make them 9’s and give me an 8 on the rest. People don’t want collections of 8.5’s!

Actually… I don’t think I’ve seen a single WOTC Holo CGC Pristine 10, ever. Problem. My 9.5’s are mint af too, and it’s a shame they will never hold a light to a PSA 10 in terms of sell-ability and genuine interest in the market, which is CGC’s problem not PSA’s. And I get it, CGC is strict and grades to a “true” grade, but I’d say 80%+ of collectors don’t care because a 10 > 9.5 (case in point with the Lugia example).

I’m tempted to break my 8.5’s and 9.5’s and submit to PSA or resubmit back through CGC in hopes for 8’s and 9’s, and I don’t think this is the correct behavior their grading scale should be driving.

So in short, I love CGC and I think they will continue to be a force in the grading market but they need to remember that the slot machine has to occasionally give the jackpot in order for the player to continue to use it. Also humans are simple and like whole numbers.

2 Likes

I made the same point a while back. I really don’t understand why CGC didn’t stick with the PSA scale. Would’ve made it MUCH more appealing for people to cross-collect PSA and CGC. And I agree that having 9.5s is annoying, especially when the 9.5s are usually PSA 10 quality.

2 Likes

Nay. Three possibilities I see
1.The owner was going for a 10 at Beckett and the bgs holds more prestige than the psa 10 so he bet on his card winning
2. Beckett is more familiar or comfortable to them maybe lives in TX
3. He isnt familiar enough with the system to choose wisely enough (unlikely)

I’m new to the game myself and even I know if I want a better grade in means to sell ill choose psa.

Dude 100k difference in price is a huge gap. .5 difference is a tiny gap. But that tiny gap costs 100k OVER A STICKER. That is because the buyer wanted a 10 sticker over a 9.5 plain and simple

Beckett thinks they are king by being so harsh. NOBODY has big ticket BGS 10s.
(I’m aware they exist but in the grand scheme they really don’t) BGS is skeet and not worth betting on.

^^^^^my whole point

1 Like

Makes no sense. Why would he try for a 10 he was never going to get, actually get a 9.5 and then not crack and try with psa for a psa 10?

I don’t have the answers. 100k is huge over .5

That’s the topic I wanted to bring up

100k for .5 man

Insane to me

1 Like

Double post

I’m afraid it’s going to sit there regardless. Whether they are chomping down some Turkey and Ham with family and friends during the Holidays or whether it’s just sitting in the warehouse waiting for its turn…the wait is inevitable I’m afraid.

I’m pretty sure all Shining Tyranitar cards (both 1st and unlimited edition) have this typo. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1. No, that’s definitely incorrect.
  2. Possible that they just like bgs
  3. Almost definitely wrong. Pretty much every amateur Pokémon collector/seller I’ve ever talked to has said I’m submitting my cards to psa. It was submitted to bgs because it was a) already a psa 9 and someone wanted the premium of a 9.5 or b) seller knew it would be a psa 9.
1 Like

The best way to up charge someone is to sell a PSA 9 in a 9.5 case. When I see an array of BGS cards in a flippers’ arsenal I give them a subtle nod as congrats for discovering the secret and then run far away. If you ever see me sell a BGS card you will know I have turned to the dark side, do not buy any 9.5s from me I will make sure to specialize in PSA 8 to 9.5 crossovers.

6 Likes