日本のマーケット部分 The Giant Japanese Market Thread

Definitely an odd ball one since the promo was released in english. Can’t think of another similar product that it’s happened for.

The price hasn’t dropped in spite of that but I can’t imagine it getting anywhere close to like where the master battle set is.

4 Likes

I agree, Master Battle Set numbers are all but impossible for the Precious Collector Box. MBS was much more limited and had two Japanese-exclusive promos. Overall, MBS was a more appealing product with shorter supply.

I would personally be surprised if PCB’s even sniff $3,000 USD in the next 3 years (which is still a ~20x in value), but definitely interested in anyone else’s thoughts or if there is a better product to compare it to.

3 Likes

The message on the Yu Nagaba thing of “future implementation is decided”… the Japanese very much reads like the standard way of saying “No date on if we do it again, but this is just us saying we haven’t planned to do it again”. It’s possible they do run it again, but I’m leaning towards more unlikely with that wording. Saying that with the carnage in the stores and how people were just picking up tonnes of junk, once they look at their sales reports they may change their mind.

For PCB, I’ve bought one and kept it sealed and stores here are consistently selling at 50k-60k JPY, and this has been the case since release. No idea if people are buying it even at these ~3-4x prices.

3 Likes

They said said the same about MBS compared to the team rocket special case. Now the MBS is the in the same price range and and may surpass the team rocket cards.

4 Likes

But similarly to Team Rocket Case, there were two Japanese-exclusive promos in the Master Battle Set. I think fundamentally, the PCB Promo Pikachu needs to really be in demand in order for the sealed box to gain value at a similar pace – and with a pop of over 2,000 just 5 months after its release, it has its work cut out for it.

The PCB Promo Pikachu is stunning and a great sendoff for SWSH. I was lucky enough to get the box at retail and am super pleased with the whole package (despite only being 3 accessories and 1 promo). All the MBS hype definitely has me curious about the future of PCB!

5 Likes

The Japanese are talking about the promo release yesterday. It was SUCH A DISASTER that this system might not happen again at bricks and mortar stores. IDK.

Too many foreigners that are not used to the system, told many tourist to get a ticket, they were waiting in line without tickets, Cutting, ,yelling, giant teams of scalpers ,etc. A mess but interesting . A funny memory of pokemon. it was fun. But not something i would do for a business.

In the end IT WAS KIND OF FUN to see this .

6 Likes

Retail store implementation of promotions has been terrible for years and that was without the recent increase in interest. But this is Japan and people will line up for absolutely anything. It’s definitely something that regular people just go WTF more and more now I find.

3 Likes

The videos all over Twitter give a good idea of what went down in some locations. Lots of Japanese people as well fighting over sleeves and whatnot. Shibuya Pokémon center had a long queue to pay but was super super chill and everyone was well mannered.

I went to get my ticket at 7:45am and saw ~20 others, all foreigners and all knew exactly what to do. Walked up got their ticket walked away. One group of people (I won’t mention nationality, but they weren’t Japanese) tried to go back up and get more tickets and were refused which ensued an argument.

All in all, the ticketing system went well, and I’ve seen nothing but bad news on the stores which just had a queue and unleashed carnage on open.

Lets not get started on the online store where they had a queue system but allowed unlimited purchases meaning the site got crowded anyway.

My summary: it could have been better, could have been worse. I think it’s ultimately on the Pokémon center for some poor planning and mixed methods between the stores. Could have been handled a lot better.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/centropokemon/status/1661560090321731587?s=46&t=AmrfjiRPtZmEh8ARyq0vyQ

3 Likes

Also released in every other language I think?

Team Rocket cards were not and neither were the MBS I think.

3 Likes

Me sitting quietly buying packs off eBay :slightly_smiling_face:

I feel like if this is what world’s japan is going to be like I’d rather just avoid all pokemon centers and just buy promos and merch online so I don’t waste a day.

6 Likes

That was already the play even before this. They’re nice to just kinda stroll into and have a look at some of the displays and stuff they have around the store, take a photo or two. But for actual shopping there really isn’t any reason to physically be there.

4 Likes

OSAKA.
It was 2x worse waiting time compared to Tokyo.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/PokeGuardian/status/1661957577175969794?t=JivMzAzrJktfcSMDn0Bw5w&s=19

3 Likes

Wait so they aren’t doing worlds promos?!!

4 Likes

This is phrased weirdly but it does say “for the release of Ruler of the Black Flame”. That set comes out like two weeks before worlds. It almost kinda sounds like they were going to do a special promo at worlds to commemorate the launch of that set? It seems weird but I don’t know what commemorating that set would have to do with the usual world’s promo.

4 Likes

This would be a tragedy.

6 Likes

lol enjoy the cancels that are going around since the price doubles. Already at 1/10 cancels, no movement or word on the others, but I know its coming. Good luck!

3 Likes
5 Likes

What’s the context here? Rich Youtuber/influencer can buy whatever he likes? Broski has a two-toned hair-style, I assume he can buy a lot more than than just a bunch of modern Pokémon cards and not really give a fuck lol.

4 Likes