The Giant English Market Thread

third this, lol

trying to save up for a more permanent living situation takes a lot of the funds Id love to be spending on cards rn. Im sure theres tons of reasons we see less confidence in the market, but I think the reality is that we were all a bit too overzealous during covid with our cardboard…

1 Like

This thought has never organically crossed my mind

15 Likes

6 Likes

Anyone know the value of a weighted light Skyridge booster pack?

I know comps on eBay for unweighted are around 11-1300, would be higher for heavy.

Not sure about light packs tho. Any help is appreciated

1 Like

Unfortunately idk if anyone will sell you a light pack. TCA used to do it but he’s the only one I can think of.

It’s either “heavy” or “unweighed”

3 Likes

I opened 5 Paldean Fates ETBs. Below are my thoughts:

• This set was incredibly fun to open. Between 151 and Paldean Fates, I haven’t had this much fun opening modern Pokemon in a long time. Scarlet & Violet is going to have a strong era identity when looking back years from now thanks to these two sets.
  • I noticed some quality control issues. A lot of raised corners and indentations that might auto-6 submissions. One card was partially crimped. A few EX cards didn’t ‘fit’ correctly in the sleeve, almost as if they were cut slightly larger than they should have been.
  • The Charizard EX shiny alt art is pretty expensive ($180-$200 right now), and I completely get it. It is beautiful in person with the different types of foiling, texture, and the art. I think it will be Scarlet & Violet’s most expensive Charizard - maybe the biggest (set card) chase of the era.
  • Finishing this set is a huge task because of the number of shiny Pokemon (130+?), but that’s what makes it so fun. I’m looking forward to completing my master set!

Here were the major hits (duplicates noted):

6 Likes

In April last year I bought two weighed, but light, Skyridge packs (to grade) for around $925 each.

loosepacks.com occasionally sells light, unweighed or heavy packs. I think the former are around $1220. They cost a bit of a premium, but it is a trustworthy source.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Seems stable at double psa 9 price. Here’s the next example coming up

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/trading-cards/pokemon-charizard-4-1st-edition-base-set-cgc-trading-card-game-gem-mint-10-the-pokemon-company-1999-rare-holo/a/7362-36057.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

3 Likes

Why are people manipulating celebrations cards?!?!

2 Likes

Ive been trying for years now lets gooo

5 Likes

Welp, psa should prepare for the absolute tidal wave of bulk theyre about to receive :skull:

2 Likes

The normal celebrations cards have quite bad QC for a modern set. I don’t think it’s too heavily graded either (although those prices might change that) so there aren’t too many PSA 10s. The Full Art Base Pikachu has a 6.4% PSA 10 rate. I can see why they deserve a premium. I’ve ordered almost 100 Light Toxtricity, but haven’t graded one because I’m not confident any would have a chance at a 10. It’s less than a dollar raw, but the 10 is around $300. Here’s some of the pops.

1 Like

i dont think the pop is really communicating much meaningful information here. i’d argue the pops are low bc no one is grading these bulk cards, which is being misconstrued as some artificial condition rarity. i only opened like 3 celebrations products and i have like 8 of these pikachus. it’s simply not worth grading hundreds of cards that are worth less than a dollar. just looking at these numbers in a vacuum, the premium might make sense, but knowing there are easily millions of these cards pack fresh just laying about for <$1, i cant really agree at all here. the qc may be kinda bad for modern, but i still think what ur seeing here is like a drop in the ocean of these cards total volume

5 Likes

While a PSA10 may be hard to get, the pool of existing available copies that would be eligible for a PSA10 is ridiculously high. Probably among the worst use of funds in this hobby; and something that I would expect to correct itself soon.

4 Likes

People chase 10s even if it’s irrational though.

That Pikachu does have horrible quality, not that PSA docks for scratches or printlines on the holofoil but if they are doing so, it’s no surprise that the PSA10 rate is low.

1 Like

It’s almost our time to shine :rofl:

11 Likes

Facts. Using the light tox example from the post you quoted, at 50 cents each if a 10 is worth 300 then it’s just free money even with a low 8% hit rate. You could easily buy 100 raw copies today if you wanted and chances are 5-10 of them will be gem worthy turning $50 of outlay (before grading) into thousands.

2 Likes

Not a chance this gets paid for… right? Currently at $10,000+

Bid was retracted or canceled at least. Back to normal

1 Like