The Giant Art Thread

Animation short for the Pokémon Card Battle Academy (2024)

Illustrated/Animated by Keiichi Arawi あらゐけいいち, the creator of Nichijou

4 Likes

This is not my card, but I would like to own a copy one day. I have recently started to appreciate the non-TCG cards a lot more, and I think they deserve more love.

4 Likes

Hadn’t looked at new sets yet, but DANG! Temporal Forces has some bangers!

Just being real, what stands out about pokemon is the wide range of stylized art. It’s not as much realism, like we see with Magic, or animated styles like we see with YuGIOh, Lorcana, or most anime-based games. (I think One Piece has some more variety). But Pokemon runs the buffet twice over, from impressionism, to post-modern, to pointillism, to freakin physical sculptures and photography. It’s just so diverse, and the really is a treat, regardless of the set.

8 Likes

Yeah, I put that Noctowl down on my list of cards to pick up from TF and I’m not even a major Noctowl fan. Art just looks amazing though.

1 Like

satoma’s dance of silky lighting

9 Likes

I thought that Noctowl was Kawayoo or Tokiya when I first saw it. So good @xileets

That Dratini is ridiculously relaxing on the eyes @koala

2 Likes

Just found this :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I’m a bit late to the party, so I can’t imagine it hasn’t been posted already, but the Crystal Golem from Split Earth by Arita is easily in my top 5 artworks:

10 Likes

I love that Mazakazu Fukuda did the Lotad. It’s like a baby Gold Star.

1 Like

Not only is it the best Golem art but it’s also the best Crystal in my opinion. If I had a choice to get one Crystal it would be this.

4 Likes

Wow very nice use of light

Yeah, this and the Celebi are my favourite crystals. It’s not a coincidence that both are illustrated by Arita.

1 Like

This card had already been posted here way back when it was first revealed in 2018 but I couldn’t find it here in this thread in a textless version. This is a screenshot I took from this nice Korean tcg commercial on YouTube. Maybe it’s just me but I think the blue GX move bar and the text really change the appearance of the artwork on a fundament level. In any case it’s cool to see it without any text or tcg layout components.

7 Likes

17 Likes

Am I crazy, or this is a Mafuba/Evil Containment Wave/Dragon ball reference?

For non dragon ball fans: it’s an attack capable of sealing enemies into objects. So it’s surprisingly fitting considering the Spiritomb background.

IMG_4005

10 Likes

Beautiful yellow flowers

9 Likes

Entering a new chapter in the story after 1 year of airing Pokémon Horizons in Japan,

3 Likes

Few things demonstrate Arita’s skill more than his ability to illustrate Venusaur.

13 Likes

Something I LOVE about this particular art is the highly accurate shadows. The shadow has gradient nearer to the center of the leaf. The consistency of the light source direction. And of course, it’s a big beefy mon that is captured in an action scene without looking clumsy or pathetic. steelix… my poor boy :sob:

5 Likes

K Sugi too

6 Likes