The Best Art Base Set?

Dragonair is probably the best art, and Gyarados is somehow an underrated art. But something the Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur artwork and backgrounds in particular just feels like a blanket of nostalgia to me. Even though I was a full on adult and Pokemon was just emerging, the Clinton era in America just felt so optimistic, prosperous and calm. It was like ToysRUs nice and a special time. I love those artworks most for that reason.

1 Like

Agree with everybody here saying the Dragonair, such a great card.

1 Like

Can’t argue with this, though, I will add 1 close runner up:
Ironically, I forget when I’m trying to remember, but when I see it, I immediately think “This is the quintessential base art for me.” Electrode. CG, cool colors, so 90s.

That Arita Dragonair tho! Background scene and colors and shading. A++

1 Like

beat me to it

Does anyone else think Dragonair and Dewgong may have been one of first cards with connected artwork?

The setting feels so similar between them, just tossing around food for thought in case someone with artistic talent wants to try something new. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No, but it’s a cool thought! They are Arita, after all.

2 Likes

Interesting I never thought about that before, but definitely possible!

2 Likes

New headcanon unlocked

2 Likes

I love this! I won’t be able to not think it now when I look at the cards!

@xileets I agree! I should know better as electrode is the first pull I remember getting from a pack!

4 Likes

Blastoise was the very first holo I pulled, so it’s got a special place in my heart…but I’ll name a card that I never see mentioned, and that’s Charmeleon. Does anyone else remember the shadowless Charmeleon that was included as an insert in Nintendo Power magazine? I believe they included that Charmeleon card to promote the game and hype up kids…which obviously worked for me. That was my very first time seeing a Pokemon card and I’ve been hooked ever since. So I have to give a shout out to the Charmeleon card in that Nintendo Power magazine for starting me down this path.

1 Like

Thats a really tough pick, i really enjoy pretty much every card from base set… for holos, the ones that stand out are Alakazam (probably my fav), Chansey, Zapdos and Gyarados. For non-holos i really like dewgong, abra and Charmander. Charmander is the first base set card i remember owning as a kid