Taizokai's Collection Thread (10/7 Update)

Okay, it’s time for a collection thread.

I thought I might start with the earliest pieces and memories, but I’ll save those for another time. Instead, I’ll begin with some of my favorites I obtained in the last year and a half, a period that directly corresponds with my time on the forum.
This is the first graded card that this binder collector kept encased:

One of the best. Like the Masaki promos, I first encountered Grand Party when browsing in shops in Japan a couple years ago. The hobby instantly had that much more depth for me as a result. And while Grand Party was common enough to come across in multiple stores in different cities, it was still apparently rare enough to always be placed amongst the heavy hitters on the top shelves of the display cases. It caught my attention every single time. I mean, the card is simply striking. AND its name is Grand Party!
But what did I do? For better or worse, I decided to hold off in order to pursue the cards on the list I had drawn up before the trip. There was, however, a distinct moment I had in a store in Nagoya where I said to myself:

I decided to go for it last January. It really was meant to be. And then, shortly after that, I pursued the fine set of cards in the two pictures below.
At first, part of me wanted to save the Masaki cards for a future trip to Japan, but I am, of course, glad I didn’t go with that idea (as nice as it seemed at the time). It was realized that these, Grand Party, and the Vending Series sets were unquestionably my “must have” cards for 2020. It took a little more time, but I eventually found each one. Which is the best, the Gengar or Alakazam? I’m not sure if I can decide anymore. Regardless, this set of fantastically illustrated promos with a particularly storied past was shared in one my initial posts on E4, and now here they are in my own collection thread.

I made an effort to start collecting the Vending Series cards one by one in the spring of last year. That’s probably why I feel inclined to share this group of cards now—I associate them with the season. In any case, these sets, as many you already know, are not to be overlooked. They bring so much creativity and what some might call “soul” to the vintage card scene, not to mention they are the very fountainhead from which the legendary Masaki and Red and Green Quick Starter Gift Set holos arose. (You may be detecting a slight bias towards shiny cardboard, but for that your humble narrator cannot be entirely blamed.)
As mentioned in an earlier post, I obtained my first Vending Cards back in 2003 when I was in high school. My friends gave me both Haunters and the Mewtwo from Series 3 for Christmas. (We had a tradition of buying each other “lesser known” cards of favorite Pokémon from PokeOrder for the holidays. The more random, we thought, the better.) Then, when visiting my hometown in 2015, I bought 15 unpeeled sheets (from Series 1 and 3) at an antique shop for 75 cents each. The store was oddly enough located just a few doors down from the comic shop where I bought my very first cards in 1999. (RIP Krypton Comics & Collectibles (insert sad Pika here)). I decided to only unpeel about half of the sheets that day.
I think it was late March when I printed off the set lists and start searching around to see what was available. There was quite a lot. Plenty of affordable NM+ cards were scattered across eBay to make a more or less mint binder set a feasible goal. I bought a mix of raw singles, unpeeled sheets, and PSA 9 and 10 cards. I have to say, it was so incredibly fun collecting these in a piecemeal way as I had a lot of time to enjoy the unique art on each one as they slowly came in from around the country. At the same time, since these were fairly accessible, I was still able to complete the sets within three months. (Interestingly, I ended up getting the CoroCoro promos last month, almost exactly one year after I started to collect these.)

Putting all of the pictures of these in spoilers is probably best. If you want to see the set, you can pull out the binder here:

Vending Series Binder Collection

And finally, the last cards to be viewed and discussed here are the Quick Starter Gift Set holos. These are some of my most recent and undoubtedly my biggest cards of 2021. I am thrilled to have them in my collection. They were on the list last year, though they just didn’t quite make it into the “must get before world melts down” section. Still, I had my eyes on them. I was later thinking I must’ve noticed them on the above-mentioned trip—my memories of them, however, are a little hazy. In any event, it was when I saw them occasionally posted and discussed on E4 that I grew more and more fond of them.
My two favorites, and the main driving forces for collecting the set, are the Articuno and Scyther. These arguably rank amongst the finest. Right, it’s absolutely not true that all holo versions are that much better than their non-holo counterparts, but the feature on these two clearly takes them beyond to a separate realm of beauty. Just amazing. And since we’re on the topic, what other cards from the Vending Series do you think would have made for top-tier holos? The Lapras and Pinsir immediately come to mind.

Alright, that is everything for this opening round. I appreciate you taking the time to have a look—I’ve definitely had some of the most fun going through all of your different collection threads this last year and a half.

Hold on. Actually, my wife’s Clefairy (it goes by Pippi) is throwing an after party. Drinks are in the kitchen. Also, here’s a full picture of the background setup in the living room as well as the photography crew:

29 Likes

I have a Masaki Gengar that I purchased raw. Man it is such a good looking card. Nice masaki promo collection you have! Truly wonderful cards to add to any collection! I need to find the other 4 lol…

1 Like

The satisfaction I have obtained from this thread is almost too much to bear. Yes. But I will bear it!

Love it man! Love the presentation and stories. Keep 'em coming my friend!

3 Likes

Great start to a collection thread! I love the Vending series and the wider, related cards like Masaki and Red/Green gift set etc, very jealous of these examples. And Grand Party is a great way to top it off. Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing what else is coming!

2 Likes

So nice to finally see your collection and hear some of your stories, homie! :blush:

What can I say other than that you basically exactly showcased my top favorite cards in all of Pokemon in one post?
This thread so far almost looks like my own collection, only better. Haha. (Specifically looking at your Gift Box Zapdos and Grand Party :wink:)

Keep em coming my dude!

2 Likes

So glad you enjoyed it, @brendantheclayboy ! Thanks for encouraging me to start my own thread and inspiring me to loosen up my informal writing a bit!

@macarver , I really appreciate your comment! Looking forward to your future posts as well! Party on!

@muk , it’s great that we have these in common and then some! They are surely some of the best. I also want to thank you for encouraging me to get this thing up. Not only that, but you brought my attention to the CoroCoro and WHF cards. Cheers, man!

2 Likes

Very nice pickups! I kick myself for not grabbing the Masaki promos in PSA 9 before they took off. I think the Alakazam is the best one, followed by Golem, Gengar, and then the rest. Great collection thread, looking forward to seeing future updates.

2 Likes

I love vending series and Masaki promos. Your binder collection looks awesome!

1 Like

Vending looks so good in the 12 slot pages! This is a fantastic collection, looking forward to seeing more!

2 Likes

Great collection! Pretty jealous of your Masaki Promos, kinda regretted not getting them earlier before the current price run. Also, what are those three cards at the back of the Vending Series Collection (Farfetch’d, Cubone, Jynx)? Thanks for sharing again.

1 Like

Thanks, lamplamp! I’ve been admiring your collection, too!
As for the Masaki cards, that Alakazam is hard to beat given its amazing and most intense attack posture. Then, of course, there’s the double-team technique worked into the holo. I’m also glad that you like the Golem so much. I was reminded of its charm when setting up for the pictures. The thick black outlines and the beautifully light color scheme go well together. It looks like it could make for a good spray-painted piece on the side of an old building somewhere.

1 Like

@alicia, that’s nice of you to say! Thank you! Do you have any plans to start up a collection thread on here?

@ascendedbidoof: Thanks, dude! I’m all about the 12 slot pages. Speaking of collecting gear, I just ordered those acrylic cases with my eBay Bucks the other day!

Much appreciated, @shadowcardcollector! They’re definitely very popular cards. But at least there are plenty of them out there in various conditions.

Those three are CoroCoro promos with unique art that were released with the same set symbol as the Vending Series. Other examples of cards with this symbol are those from the Red and Green decks and the 1997 World Hobby Fair sheet. The Mew and Mewtwo from the sheet are also in the CD Promo set. (Did I miss any, @muk?)

You can read more about it all here:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Vending_Machine_cards_(TCG)

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unnumbered_Promotional_cards_(TCG)/1996-2005

3 Likes

Very nice summary, I don’t think you’ve missed any :stuck_out_tongue:
One interesting thing to mention about the corocoro promos is that they were released a few weeks prior to Vending Series 1, making the Farfetch’d the first ever released Komiya card (if that’s something anyone is interested in) :wink:

3 Likes

Ah, that’s the most important information when arranging my komiya binder! :grin:

1 Like

Don’t know what to say to that, I still haven’t figured out how to upload pictures :rofl:

1 Like

I find it easy to use Imgur and then use the links to upload the pictures here :grin:

@taizokai, beautiful collection! Japanese cards always need more love but have always loved them Masakis! Keep sharing!

1 Like

I dont know a lot Japanese sets but vending is awesome. Good taste! imo a lot more intresting than the average wotc set.

“Soul” is a good description!

1 Like

Collection crisp, dog

1 Like

Thank you, @teamrocketop! I’ve almost always been into Japanese cards and previously thought that that was the case for most. Well, it seems like they are finally starting to get the attention they deserve now!

@wotcfetish: Means a lot! Thanks! I’m also very much interested in the WOTC cards—I even completed a couple more of the sets last year. Would certainly go for even more if I could.

1 Like