Pokemon Stamp Promo : Beauty Looking Back & Moon Geese

2021 Pokémon Stamp Box Promotional Cards

ポケモン切手BOX~ポケモンカードゲーム 見返り美人・月に雁セット~
Pokémon Stamp Box ~ Pokémon Card Game
Beauty Looking Back • Wild Geese Flying under the Full Moon Set~

The 2021 Stamp Box promo cards were produced in collaboration between the Pokémon Company and Japan Post. On August 25, 2021 winners of a Japan Post office lottery were allowed to buy a single box for ¥4,000 if they had matching photo ID.

The Stamp Box

The box itself contains Pikachu 227/S-P and Cramorant 226/S-P packaged together in plastic. A sealed “Family Pokémon Card Game Anytime, Anywhere” deck is included which is designed to teach families how to play the TCG. Three Pokemon-shaped post cards (Pikachu, Charizard and Eevee) are included with three stamp sheets, shown below:

Show stamp sheets

Japan Postal Service 150th Anniversary

The promotional box release was done in conjunction with the 150th Anniversary of Japanese Postal Service. The International Stamp Exhibition held once every 10 years in Japan, PHILANIPPON 2021, showcased a Pokemon section where visitors could buy the stamp box. In addition to the Pokemon collaboration, Japan Post also released a more traditional version of the Beauty Looking Back / Moon Geese stamp set as shown below.

History of the Stamps

The Beauty Looking Back / Moon Geese stamps have a history of releases in Japan. The sheet below featuring Beauty Looking Back was produced for PHILANIPPON 2001:

In 1996 the “The History of Postage Stamps” issues were released featuring monochrome and colored versions of the The Beauty Looking Back / Moon Geese stamps. Shown below is the complete sheet and the first day cancellations (a promotional item that post offices will produce on the first day a stamp is released).

Beauty Looking Back saw an additional release during the 120th anniversary of Japan Post:

Perhaps of most significance however are the original releases. The original Beauty Looking Back was a commemorative stamp released in November 1948 for Philatelic Week. Likewise, the original Moon Geese stamp was released during the 1949 Philatelic Week.

Original Artwork

The original art pieces of both the Beauty and the Geese are both 17th century works of art.
“Beauty Looking back” by Hishikawa Moronobu (菱川 師宣) created on silk currently resides at the Tokyo National Museum. “Wild Geese Flying under the Full Moon” by Utagawa Hiroshige (歌川 広重) is a woodblock print and currently resides at the The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Summary

The 2021 Pokemon Stamp Promo Box pulls from a rich history of stamp collecting in Japan, which pulls from an even older history of Japanese fine art. While the artwork may be easily recognizable to many residents of Japan, outsiders may not appreciate the nuance involved in this promotional release. Hopefully this article has provided insight into the centuries old background of these cards.

33 Likes

Awesome, thanks for making me aware of these. Now I have a sheet coming to me from Japan, all cause of this one stamp :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

The stamp promo box is seriously underrated imo.

I seriously love this box so much – and I got so lucky with my Beauty card.

Any recommendations on how best to preserve the stamp sheet?

There’s a branch if CGC (AGS) that does stamp grading but they never replied to my email asking about grading some of the sheets I posted in this thread

Glassine envelopes are often used to store stamps or cards like the one below

20180830_141035_large

I can’t guarantee it but most likely if you have a jumbo sleeve/toploader it will probably be fine in there too since those are designed to not have the acids that woukd damage paper over time

3 Likes

I’m no stamp collector but I love the stamp sheets that come with the box, I’m not big on displaying stuff generally, but I’ll be putting one on display in my office. I think it’s the combination of the real cultural history with a modern cultural phenomenon that makes them so attractive.

What do people think is the future of the box (with the contents as they are) as a collectable? It was never sold sealed and isn’t exactly made of the most durable cardboard out there. I think the Pokémon postcards are all just loose and floating around? Been a while since I’ve looked inside mine.

I have two boxes essentially taken straight from the Japan Post Office to my home and they both have damage on them. Overall it never felt to me like the box was intended to be in the same collectable bracket as a premium sealed item (obviously) or even that the box itself was ever intended to be anything other than just an economic way to house all the pieces inside. But maybe the market thinks differently?

I don’t follow the prices at all so I’m just curious how loose stamp sheets are holding up against a complete set, seeing as the stamp sheet is also just (sloppily) glued inside the box too. Will the box have a big premium in the future or are loose cards and stamps good enough for people ?

1 Like

Thank you! I currently have my stamp sheet in a large photo sleeve that I use for jumbo cards so hopefully that’ll do for now. Let us know if you ever hear back from CGC/AGS though

I was looking into encapsulation but apparently that’s not a big thing in the stamp world so not a lot of companies offer that service. I did find one company that I can’t remember the name of at the moment, but they were discontinuing their encapsulation service probably because of the lack of interest. I still think that the encapsulated big three would have been cool, I love those little holostamps.

Sorry for you :(.

Luckily mine came in perfect condition and a “low” price, such is the gamble,

These are graded by ASG, I just saw this one on ebay:

Search for “nippon 84 stamp pokemon” on ebay and you should find it :smiley:

Yeah, it seems to me because there isn’t a true factory seal hurts its status as sealed product. Also, the packaging is very generic and doesn’t reflect the contents of the box.

I keeping my boxes sealed because I think people will want to open it themselves, and I can always open them if I want the cards graded. But I do think packaging doesn’t lend itself as well to sealed collecting as other JP releases.