Smokemon's Collection Thread

Hello all,

Like a good handful of you, I recently returned to the hobby after a ~20 year hiatus. A series of small events such as friends pulling out their binders, seeing Pokémon on eBay, and feeling nostalgic, pulled me back into the hobby.

I am a military brat and I grew up in Japan. I was fortunate enough to take Japanese classes in High School as well as make Japanese friends through skateboarding just outside of the military base. Being versed in Japanese is an indispensable skill and I’m very thankful for how it has helped me in this hobby.

I started collecting during the time of unlimited base set and ended up moving to Japan around the time Fossil was released. In Japan, I kept a binder where I aggressively traded to complete my Pokédex. It was my goal to fill out my binder to 250 and the Neo series was the ticket item at the time.

I’m adding my best pulls that I’ve held in my collection for many years as well as some of the recent things I have purchased.

Returning to the hobby as an engineer, I wanted to celebrate my cards by making a control board that changes the color of an LED with RGB selection. I did my own programming, 3D printing, wiring and so on.

I love the no rarity cards and Venusaur

16 Likes

Damn! Those No Rarity Venusaurs, amazing! You have an awesome collection, I always appreciate when Venusaurs gets some love.

1 Like

Thank you, there’s more Venusaurs on the way

Great stuff! Love the light stand that you put together :grin:

1 Like

Love the Japanese shinings! Awesome collection!

1 Like

Got the Blastoise back from Beckett today. The ‘no rarity’ variant on the label was forgotten so I’m trying to get that fixed. Overall, I’m pretty proud that I was able to get these from Japan nearly a quarter of a century later and get all 8s.

7 Likes

This is actually so sick, this display setup is super nice and creative not to mention the nice ass no rarity sitting on top

2 Likes

@nish Thank you, I’m glad you like it. If I ever get a YouTube channel going I’ll make a video on my set up.